Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Post match thoughts.  (Read 1563 times)

hopwood

Post match thoughts.
« on: October 16, 2021, 05:01:51 PM »
For the squad available….only one word for me.

HEROIC.

Marlow Nick

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Post match thoughts.
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2021, 05:03:13 PM »
If we can ever have close to half a squad fit then we'll be a match for anyone

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2021, 05:05:22 PM »
If we can ever have close to half a squad fit then we'll be a match for anyone

+1
Let me tell you something cucumber

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2021, 05:07:18 PM »
Without wishing to be negative, I'll take the LBP. It would have been cruel if we hadn't come away with something.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

hopwood

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2021, 05:18:27 PM »
I’m just not sure I’ve seen a defensive effort like that from Wasps for many a year.
I mean look at the experience of some of the players out there.
Some of them are pure youngsters to the Premiership…and yet they defended with such HUGE HEART.

I’m so, so excited for this team in a few months time…when the likes of Jack, Alfie, Joe etc become available.
The organisation and heart being shown is in a different stratosphere to where we’ve been.

I thought Jacob was exceptional in the first half. And we never got the opportunity in the second half.
Dan Robson gave everything.

And the forwards.
Well, you couldn’t ask for more.
Parity in the scrum. Good line out for whilst Frost was on.
Simply amazing defence.
I’ve never seen so many tackles in a game.
Maybe a Premiership record?? I wouldn’t be surprised.

With the resources we have available - this effort was nothing short of heroic.
Tom Willis, Shields, JTA, Frost, Hislop etc etc.
All Titans.

I know we didn’t win.
But…I’m elated with that performance.
John Mitchell….thank you.
You and your fellow coaches have instilled something very dynamic and dangerous back into the Wasps DNA.

Very exciting times ahead.

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2021, 06:37:36 PM »
Best tribute I thought today was in the pub as we sorting out our flights to Toulouse and Shannon was from the token Saracens supporter  ( yes I know , but we have to tolerate them in these woke days) can I come along / best defence set I’ve seen in years.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2021, 07:01:20 PM »
Really pleased with that. What's becoming obvious is that we are real candidates to win it this year. Frost, JTA , Willis, Stooke, Fifita, Shields exceptional. One issue - is in at the side no longer an offence? Chiefs did it so often without being pinged it was embarrassing. Barnes may want to let it flow but he must realise that as good as he (may) be he still needs to officiate the rules. Footnote: How dull must it be to be an Exeter fan?

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2021, 07:10:58 PM »
Really pleased with that. What's becoming obvious is that we are real candidates to win it this year. Frost, JTA , Willis, Stooke, Fifita, Shields exceptional. One issue - is in at the side no longer an offence? Chiefs did it so often without being pinged it was embarrassing. Barnes may want to let it flow but he must realise that as good as he (may) be he still needs to officiate the rules. Footnote: How dull must it be to be an Exeter fan?

Also the number of time an Exeter player went beyond the ruck and took out a Wasps player - on one occasion two took Nemo out and he wasn't even part of it.
Let me tell you something cucumber

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2021, 07:18:46 PM »
Also the number of time an Exeter player went beyond the ruck and took out a Wasps player - on one occasion two took Nemo out and he wasn't even part of it.

In the first half Barnes did warn Exeter that the next time it happened would mean a card, but obviously decided to make the threat last only until half-time.

Mellie

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2021, 06:58:27 PM »

I noticed that too. Happened a lot, so definitely a tactic. It's actually called obstruction.

There were 2 off the ball obstructions in the build up to Slade's try too that weren't reviewed.

will311293

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2021, 09:25:24 AM »
Lads put one hell of a shift in. Can't fault any of them and so far having listened to Eggchasers on Wasps, nothing but glowing reports for players, coaching, recruitment and the philosophy that the club have implemented now the club are properly based out of the new facilities.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2021, 10:14:02 AM »
Great business with recruitment in the summer.  Every one of the new forwards looked settled and put in a great shift Saturday; Frost, Scholtz, Hislop, Fifita and Stooke all look like great acquisitions, and none of them were the sort of big headline signings we've made in the past.  There was some consternation at the number of key players we lost in the summer; Taylor, Brookes, McIntyre, Rowlands, but the quality of the replacements means that none of them has been missed, despite injuries compounding the situation.  Yet to see much of Hougaard, but am in no doubt that he will offer the kind of back up to Robson that we need and should also help with the development of the younger 9s.

And then there's the refresh of the coaching team.  Mitchell obviously huge, but let's not forget that our defence coach is actually Matt Everard, so without disputing Mitchell's undoubted influence there, let's make sure we're also giving credit where it's due.