Always a Wasp

Author Topic: No Wasps for England  (Read 5716 times)

hopwood

No Wasps for England
« on: October 18, 2021, 03:02:00 PM »
Forwards: Jamie Blamire (Newcastle), Callum Chick (Newcastle), Luke Cowan-Dickie (Exeter), Tom Curry (Sale), Trevor Davison (Newcastle), Nic Dolly (Leicester), Alex Dombrandt (Harlequins), Charlie Ewels (Bath), Ellis Genge (Leicester), Jonny Hill (Exeter), Maro Itoje (Saracens), Courtney Lawes (Northampton), Lewis Ludlam (Northampton), Joe Marler (Harlequins), George Martin (Leicester), Sam Simmonds (Exeter), Kyle Sinckler (Bristol), Will Stuart (Bath), Sam Underhill (Bath).

Backs: Mark Atkinson (Gloucester), Owen Farrell (Saracens), Tommy Freeman (Northampton), George Furbank (Northampton), Max Malins (Saracens), Jonny May (Gloucester), Raffi Quirke (Sale), Adam Radwan (Newcastle), Harry Randall (Bristol), Henry Slade (Exeter), Marcus Smith (Harlequins), Freddie Steward (Leicester), Manu Tuilagi (Sale), Anthony Watson (Bath), Ben Youngs (Leicester).

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: No Wasps for England
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2021, 03:05:00 PM »
3 of the Bath pack that was pulverised yesterday

hopwood

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2021, 03:05:40 PM »
Eddie Jones really dislikes Dan Robson for some reason.
He’s had in the squad for ages now. Dan’s built up the knowledge and understanding of the environment, he’s now playing his best rugby….and then Eddie drops him completely.

Baffling.
Obviously doesn’t trust him for some reason.
Yet Youngs can do no wrong.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2021, 03:05:59 PM »
Thought Dan was a cert.
Let me tell you something cucumber

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2021, 03:16:45 PM »
I'm not surprised re Dan. He's obviously stood on Jones' cat or something.... if he was going to feature then he'd have started some games. It's a bonus for us, to be selfish, but the whole squad has the look of one picked to make a point rather than to win the next world cup

Not sure what Furbank has done and with the choice of two other v young and inexperienced FB's it looks like the gambling dice are out again. The forwards seem unbalanced and looking towards a big 6 again rather than pace and handling skills.

That might be long afternoon vs SA if they turn up with intent....

And with Farrell named as Captain, I guess it means England's comms on pitch will be "a challenge".....
« Last Edit: October 18, 2021, 03:32:07 PM by mike909 »

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2021, 03:22:41 PM »
Eddie Jones really dislikes Dan Robson for some reason.
He’s had in the squad for ages now. Dan’s built up the knowledge and understanding of the environment, he’s now playing his best rugby….and then Eddie drops him completely.

Baffling.
Obviously doesn’t trust him for some reason.
Yet Youngs can do no wrong.

EJ just doesn't like the way he plays. He wants another Youngs, so he's grooming younger 9s to do so. I would have Robson start too.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2021, 03:25:27 PM »
The only players from our squad I believe deserved call ups were Tom Willis and Dan Robson. Dan is never going to be taken seriously by Jones, and Tom is unlucky that no. 8 is extremely competitive at the moment.

Bare in mind Launchbury, Jack, Odogwu and Barbeary all would've likely been called up if fit. So no bother. It doesn't reflect our performances these past few weeks.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2021, 03:26:21 PM »
Selfishly - great news. Now any possible England players can have the Prem Cup time off and rest.

The only worry is injuries and late call ups.
Let me tell you something cucumber

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2021, 03:32:13 PM »
Anyone feel inclined to look up when England last announced a Wasp-free squad?

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2021, 03:33:11 PM »
 Dan is creative and thinks quickly.  EJ can't  cope or lived with that.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2021, 03:34:41 PM »
In a way, I feel sad for Dan, and for England, and for the England fans.

Selfishly, I am happy to see us left at as full a strength as we can be.

Time and tide will wash over the train wreck that is Eddie and his reign. For as long as old duffers run the RFU, they will make 'mistakes' like Eddie. Failure will come with a high financial cost. Those old duffers will still get their jollies, and Twickenham will continue to receive and eat money. But the grass roots game will be deprived and suffer. Less of the enthusiastic youngsters wanting to play, less money for their grounds and facilities.

Don't get me wrong, some very good players will get those coveted caps, but they won't be awarded for exciting play, and sometimes not for even winning. They will be awarded because they ARE potentially good players, and their faces fit. The RFU does not run a meritocracy, nor a democracy. It is run entirely for the benefit of the RFU, and, most importantly, the old duffers that control it.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2021, 03:49:12 PM »
Dan is creative and thinks quickly.  EJ can't  cope or lived with that.

Doesn't bode well for Smith.  He and Robson in tandem could've been devastating.  Smith operating off the dross that Youngs serves up less so.

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2021, 03:50:32 PM »
Mixed messages from Eddie.

He selects some young bucks who have shown form but retains older players who, quite frankly, have done nothing this season eg Johnny May.

I feel sorry for the likes of Dan Robson and Tom Willis but we are already missing so many through injury.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2021, 03:56:17 PM »
Mixed messages from Eddie.

He selects some young bucks who have shown form but retains older players who, quite frankly, have done nothing this season eg Johnny May.

I feel sorry for the likes of Dan Robson and Tom Willis but we are already missing so many through injury.

Agree re Jones' messaging. Allows him to pick a "normal" pack subbing in Dombrandt or Simmonds, and a backline as OF is Capt of: Youngs. Smith, May, Farrell, Manu, Watson, Furbank......Or a RWC 19 - a - like team with Smith and Dombrandt making it suddenly different.......

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2021, 04:15:25 PM »
Youngs isn't even the best English 9 at Tigers.

The mind boggles.