Always a Wasp

Author Topic: No Wasps for England  (Read 5718 times)

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: No Wasps for England
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2021, 04:38:54 PM »
And yet people like McGeechan heap such high praise on the likes of Youngs and Farrell, picking them both in his lions squad earlier this year

While I certainly wouldn't be picking Farrell, and I probably wouldn't have Ben Youngs as the first name on my team sheet, it's with realising that numerous coaches have selected them for national or lions squads, or even in their dream teams

JF

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2021, 04:52:15 PM »

Bare in mind Launchbury, Jack, Odogwu and Barbeary all would've likely been called up if fit. So no bother. It doesn't reflect our performances these past few weeks.

That's using logic in a situation bereft of all but the merest hint.

And I still don't want that thug to be captain of my country.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2021, 05:07:38 PM »
Some huge omissions here with George, Ford and the Vunipolas missing. (Although with LCD injured George could be back in)

You could see the Robson omission coming - I just hope Jones has had a good chat with him and explained it.

Randall in all honesty is not good enough yet, yes he can take all those quick taps and look exciting but so can any 9. He has also been outplayed by every 9 he’s come up against this season, especially Robson. Quirke is an exciting prospect but why is Eddie only now picking these young guns? Robson was the younger option over Youngs and Care for years and wasn’t picked as Eddie only picked 2 9s. Now he is in the form of his life and he is gone.
I can see Alex Mitchell getting picked ahead of him now too.

Really heartbreaking for Dan - can see him pursuing a big paycheck elsewhere abroad if he is that way inclined now.
As mentioned above, selfishly this is however great news for Wasps.

Not sure when the players meet up but maybe not a bad time to be playing Sarries and Quins

COYW15

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 18, 2021, 05:13:47 PM »
Slightly OT - but congratulations to Thibaud Flament who has been included in the France squad. Quite a remarkable journey from fly half for Loughborough 5s.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 18, 2021, 05:27:28 PM »
Slightly OT - but congratulations to Thibaud Flament who has been included in the France squad. Quite a remarkable journey from fly half for Loughborough 5s.

What a truly great year of rugby the guy has had! Congratulations to him!

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 18, 2021, 05:28:15 PM »

Big +1 - virtually a fixture in the Toulouse team now.
Let me tell you something cucumber

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 18, 2021, 05:39:54 PM »
And yet people like McGeechan heap such high praise on the likes of Youngs and Farrell, picking them both in his lions squad earlier this year

While I certainly wouldn't be picking Farrell, and I probably wouldn't have Ben Youngs as the first name on my team sheet, it's with realising that numerous coaches have selected them for national or lions squads, or even in their dream teams

I'd have Farrell (on form).  But at 12 with a clear set of instructions.  Youngs I just don't see.  He sounds like a top bloke and a good leader, but for years just hasn't shown any sort of consistency in form.  It's bonkers that Care got jettinsoned and has since performed admirably for Quins in both playmaker and leadership roles and Youngs who has struggled for form has kept his place. 

I'm yet to see anyone argue Youngs' case in terms of pundits of journo's beyond anything other than he's got loadsa caps and he's a nice chap.

I'm sure that Robson, Rafi, van poortvliet and Randall are all good blokes too...

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 18, 2021, 05:41:42 PM »
Let's be honest - neither Quirke or Randall are fit to lace Dan's boots. Good news for Wasps, a kick in the teeth for Dan and a ridiculous decision by England. Elsewhere I could barely stay awake as I scrolled down through Ewels, Stuart, Underhill, Farrell, Young, Tuilagi (how, just how) Furbank and Freeman. Words fail me.

MarleyWasp

« Reply #23 on: October 18, 2021, 05:47:14 PM »
Sadly I'm not at all surprised by Dan's omission. I fear that he's missed the boat. Had Eddie ever seen him as more than a stopgap option he'd have started by now. With Randall capped in the summer and Quirke doing well at Sale, I suspect Eddie no longer deems him worthy of a place in the squad, not unless he gets hold of the incriminating photos Ben Youngs has of Eddie...

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 18, 2021, 05:53:30 PM »

Big +1 - virtually a fixture in the Toulouse team now.

I was amongst those who wished him well when he left us but didn't expect him to get much game time.

I'm so glad i was wrong

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2021, 05:58:18 PM »
Given who has been in and around the squad - England would be indicating that they are forwards looking and looking to play to players' strengths if a team like this could be selected.

Genge, LCD, Sinckler, Itoje, Lawes, Curry, Underhill, Dombrandt/Simmonds, Robson, Smith, May, Manu, Slade, Watson, Malins

It's a modern looking backrow, a hybrid 6/SR at lock with Maro and Smith with a class 9 and muscle right outside him at 12 and pace to burn in the back three.

Sadly.....

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2021, 06:31:03 PM »
Far too sensible. Curry will play at 8 which leaves us without our best 7. Smith will have the pee taken out of him. Lawes will play six just to annoy everyone. Youngs will be the SH by dint of the fact Randall and Quirke aren't good enough. There will be some sort of bizarre selection at 13 and Tuliagi will pull out through injury as usual.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2021, 06:56:59 PM »
3 of the Bath pack that was pulverised yesterday

+ 1 back (Anthony Watson).
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

BrackenandMacken

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 18, 2021, 07:29:04 PM »
This is going to be a huge test for Farell, when at 12 in an England shirt  hes stifled the creativity of Cipriani and Ford, if he can do so with Smith that will be quite a hat trick.

Not sure I buy no one else from Wasps deserves to be picked,  if Ewels is in the squad then Stooke could easily be picked ahead of him on current form.

FishingWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2021, 07:43:46 PM »
Christian Wade, Danny Cipriany, Dan Robson.
EJ continues to show that he cannot manage creative players,

And if they stand up to EJ for their style of play....Danny Care etc.....rather than ultra observance to EJ dictated plan, then that's it. Hence the continuance of set play Farrel, Youngs et despite their shortcomings IMHO

Such a shame for Rugby in general, and England in particular