Always a Wasp

Author Topic: No Wasps for England  (Read 5719 times)

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: No Wasps for England
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2021, 08:20:19 PM »
I never understood how Youngs got selected in the first place. At breakdown He couldn’t pass off the ground he always took a step backwards which meant that defences go on top of first receivers. This was mainly because he didn’t play heads up as he arrived at the breakdown.

He has improved, but he did that in an England jersey so presumably coaches saw something in him that most of us missed. However, I still don’t think he’s a patch on Dan, who arrives at the breakdown having had his head up which why the commentators were so impressed by our ruck speed on Saturday. 

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2021, 08:46:50 PM »
Eddie's not interested in ruck speed. He picks Youngs for his kicking and perceived "control". It's so we can "play" in the right areas and at the right time - which is presumably once the opposition have nodded off like the rest of us.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2021, 01:21:28 AM »
Jones simply being Jones. Contrary, short term, afraid of off piste, and then toys out the pram when the magic wears off. Rinse and repeat every 3 years.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2021, 07:44:12 AM »

This certainly isn't the exact same squad that I would have picked......
However, are most of the complaints here just about scrum half, and Farrell being Captain?

It feels weird to commission too much about a squad that's only 2 / 3 players different to what most of us would pick.

I accept that there's a perception that Ben Youngs selected at 9 means a specific game style... However, I firmly believe that Youngs can still play a faster, heads up game, but that he typically plays to a game plan, which is the same as any other scrum half would do for the national team

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2021, 07:44:57 AM »
 ;D

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2021, 07:47:02 AM »
........  the laugh is for Westwaleswasp.

Wombles

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 19, 2021, 08:11:44 AM »
I quite like the overall selection, there is always a need for senior players in the squad, and the likes of Youngs and Farrell, Itoje and Lawes, and also to a certain extent Manu in the backs provide that key component leadership and experience. The test arena is a rarefied atmosphere in regards to performance, pressure and emotion. The amount of talent and potential coming through is phenomenal and has the ability to win many trophies, but with this huge enthusiasm it will create you do need some steering the team when rocky moments inevitably occur. There will always be us supporters that would call for other selections, and for me Robbo is one of those. But IMHO this is a positive selection from Eddie Jones with skill, speed and talent aplenty. The task now is for Eddie to realise their potential.

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 19, 2021, 09:54:42 AM »
The overall selection is ok.  But, if you stick Youngs at 9 and Farrell at 10/12 then try to play the same way as in the 6N it's a complete waste of time.

How many of the new squad do we really see in the XV or the 23?

-- A new hooker perhaps forced by injury
-- Youngs starting with Quirke on the bench
-- Smith at 10 instead of the jettisoned Ford
-- Radwan on one wing and Steward at FB?

I'd be happy having Farrell in at 12, if he is told to play like Esterhuizen plays outside Smith for Quins and to kick his goals.

Marlow Nick

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 19, 2021, 11:21:18 AM »
In most cases the problem is the tactics not the players. The exception is Farrell who appears incapable of being anything but an obnoxious  and selfish git. Make him captain and it's even worse. Put himself 12 and he'll demand Smith just shovels the ball to him so you lose all the creativity Smith can bring

andermt

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2021, 01:01:28 PM »
As a Scotsman, long may Jones continue to pick Youngs.

Gutted for Dan though, thoroughly deserves to be the 1st choice 9 currently.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 19, 2021, 01:13:03 PM »
In most cases the problem is the tactics not the players. The exception is Farrell who appears incapable of being anything but an obnoxious  and selfish git. Make him captain and it's even worse. Put himself 12 and he'll demand Smith just shovels the ball to him so you lose all the creativity Smith can bring

I think Farrell is just following orders, same as the rest of them. Zero point picking Quirke or Smith then asking them to play like Youngs & Ford/Farrell.
Anyway, can't see a starting backline of anyone other than Youngs/Farrell/Manu/Slade/May/Watson with maybe Steward at 15 and perhaps Radwan in if Watson is injured.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 19, 2021, 05:56:33 PM »
In response to Wasps post earlier my angst is far from centred around just scrum half and Farrell. Outside of those two positions there is no way I would select Ewels, Stuart, Tuliagi, Furbank, Atkinson or Dolly. Quite how Tuilagi gets picked is absolutely beyond me. Watched BT try and continually talk him up last Friday but he contributed precisely nought. And that's in the extremely unlikely event that you can actually get him on the pitch.

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 20, 2021, 09:16:56 AM »
Well you can here a bit from Eddie on the BBC Five Live Harlequins Rugby Union Weekly pod cast.

I think Eddie comes across well and explains some of his thinking, not like his normal pre game deflection interview. Whether you agree or not I think it helps to hear from him. From his comments about being two years out he gives the impression that he is still using these games to give experience to younger players. He also explain s why he hasn't brought Marcus Smith in much. There was also a message to existing players not to be complacent about their places.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 20, 2021, 10:32:33 AM »
There was also a message to existing players not to be complacent about their places.

If that is an issue then it is one very much of his own making.

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 20, 2021, 10:54:06 AM »
When you get the real Eddie (as opposed to the mischievous media Eddie), there’s no doubting he’s a hugely talented, articulate and informed Coach. 

I’ve sat in on an evening with him and it was really interesting. He’s very quick-witted and very perceptive. 

I think much of the negativity that surrounds him is merely a byproduct of the way our media works going from one extreme to another.  The extremes get discussed in the Podcast.

Chris Jones suggested that Rugby is beginning to emerge from the crisis it found itself in 18 months or so ago (A slow, kicking orientated game).  Eddie was quick to bat it back, explaining that there hasn't been such a crisis in the game.  It's merely the result of the ebb and flow of the way the Laws are tweaked and how they're applied/managed by the Refs.  There's a greater emphasis on refereeing the ruck and so a greater ability to attack using quick ball.

Eddie's fundamental point was that it's rare you get such a big swing in such a time period (outside of how things get reported by the Media) and a lot of performances are much finer margins than many give credit for.

I think this last point was true of us under Dai in the 2019 season and when Lee came on board, we started making those last passes and stopped dropping balls.  The same is true, I think, of Bristol this season.  They'll click and come back stronger. 

His same opinion is shared when it comes to selection, that it's very fine margins when it comes to the differences.  He suggested that he'd expect to see the big 4 that were jettisoned for the AIs back in an England shirt at some point assuming their good form continues but that now was the time to blood other players and increase the depth of the squad.

The one thing that doesn't get mentioned, or discussed is why not Robson > Youngs/Randall