Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Scrum half  (Read 2231 times)

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Scrum half
« on: February 05, 2018, 08:05:52 AM »
I think players ambition for national selection should always be supported over the affect of the loss on Wasps. I realise it is unlikely Dan will be called over Wigglesworth because of the lack of time with England, but I really hope this is his chance. We have good cover in Hampson and Simpson.

Hampson seems to have gone well in the AW, I am not sure he can get to the ruck as quickly as Simpson yet, but he is an impressive third choice and has two great players to learn from.

I really don't get why there seems to be a downer on Simpson recently. Robson is having a good run of form, that doesn't mean Simpson is bad. Simpson has also had great runs of form and I remember Healey really promoting him for England, he just got unlucky with the timing of injuries before chances for England and then British 7's.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
Re: Scrum half
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 08:29:28 AM »
When Simpson came on yesterday, there was no perceptible change in the speed, quality, cover and availability of the ball from the forwards. Umaga was on for the full 80, so not change there. But Simpson took ages to get the ball to Umaga. The backs line was waiting. And then I noticed the difference between Hampson and Simpson in open play. Simpson kept drifting out and away from the breakdown. The delay was often because Simpson was arriving later than Hampson had. By the time Simpson was arriving, the now very tired Tigers defense was in place (but leaky). With Hampson the ball was available and it was straight out to Umaga or whoever. The noticeable thing for me was that Hampson's passing to Umaga was spot on. In previous matches the accuracy had not been there.

What do I conclude? Simpson is a good scrum half and not slow to shift the ball. But he plays in different places both in attack and especially in defense. It is is defense that it shows most. When we get a turnover, he has to cover some distance to get back in position. Why does he do that? We can't be coaching him to do it one way and for Robson and Hampson the other. Most odd. Based on yesterday alone, I would place Hampson over Simspon.

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2018, 10:24:07 AM »
It's funny how different my memory of the game was, I am still learning! I even thought Umaga moved to the centre when Simpson was on!

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2018, 09:29:50 PM »
Well Eddie surprised no one!

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2018, 09:40:40 PM »
I didn't see the game, but Simmo has always defended out wide.
The theory used to be that his pace can be used on turnovers making us lethal on a break.

I also find it unfair to compare a starting scrum half with a replacement. With England over the years, whichever of Care or Youngs came off the bench seemed to play better.
Often a player coming off the bench will have a specific job to perform. It may be to increase the tempo, it may be to slow the game down and control the play, it may be to play for territory etc.

From everything I've seen of hampson, Simpson would always be ahead of him. I'd want to see hampson consistently passing well before I considered him 2nd choice