Always a Wasp

Author Topic: More Bad Injury News  (Read 8078 times)

FishingWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: More Bad Injury News
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2021, 11:39:12 AM »
Bath is absolutely a game we should win, they should be a team we're targeting to beat home and away.
Agreed, but likely that Bath, having seen our injury list plus last weekend's loss, will also be targeting this game. It could be an uncomfortable watch on Saturday
Anyone got a reliable stream for the game?

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2021, 02:22:14 PM »
Bath is absolutely a game we should win, they should be a team we're targeting to beat home and away.
Agreed, but likely that Bath, having seen our injury list plus last weekend's loss, will also be targeting this game. It could be an uncomfortable watch on Saturday

I can see no reason to consider this match an easy win for us. Bath have too much potential, and we are under-performing too much for me to think it is in the bag even a little bit.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2021, 03:25:08 PM »

I can see no reason to consider this match an easy win for us. Bath have too much potential, and we are under-performing too much for me to think it is in the bag even a little bit.
Have to agree, I have been watching them and don't see a whole lot wrong apart from results.. the drubbing aside, they were a dodgy ref call from beating Sale away, could/should have beaten Bristol away, looked decent against Quins away and much like us, got ground out by Falcons.

At the rec they can beat anyone on their day, they are a quality side with few injuries and not to be taken lightly. Even at Wasps full strength, this is no gimme.

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 26, 2021, 04:34:05 PM »
Hymenoptera and Vespula Vulgaris interesting that a team that's 0 from 5 with similar opposition to us and rock bottom of the league are being talked up - that we should be wary and they've been unlucky but that Wasps are under-achieving.

I'd say Bath's issues are coaching and motivation.  Despite being ravaged by injury, we've managed to look like we're playing for each other and our coaching looks decent.  Our execution in the Red Zone is letting us down.

Bath have the talent to be competitive, but I don't see why we should be so fearful of them.  I don't think we need to be over-confident, but Saints, Chiefs and Bears all have talented squads and we came out alright against those 3.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 26, 2021, 05:02:28 PM »
Hymenoptera and Vespula Vulgaris interesting that a team that's 0 from 5 with similar opposition to us and rock bottom of the league are being talked up - that we should be wary and they've been unlucky but that Wasps are under-achieving.

I'd say Bath's issues are coaching and motivation.  Despite being ravaged by injury, we've managed to look like we're playing for each other and our coaching looks decent.  Our execution in the Red Zone is letting us down.

Bath have the talent to be competitive, but I don't see why we should be so fearful of them.  I don't think we need to be over-confident, but Saints, Chiefs and Bears all have talented squads and we came out alright against those 3.

Punditry. Gotta love it.

Marlow Nick

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2021, 05:02:56 PM »
In my opinion Wasps are over performing given the ridiculous injury list. We're unlikely to improve much more until December but carry on playing as we have and we can compete with any outside the top 4.

Bath have been under performing given the talent they have. This seems to be due to a toxic mix of bad luck, poor coaching, and poor execution. If they click they could quickly move from being unable to beat anyone to a threat against any outside the top 4.

So no complacency for Wasps. Keep focus and execute as well as they have so far and as long as Bath don't suddenly click and we should get 4 points. Lose focus or pick up another injury at 2, 3, 12 and we could be struggling for a losing bonus point.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2021, 05:20:57 PM by Marlow Nick »

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 26, 2021, 05:44:05 PM »
Bath have been poor.

And they've got an injury/absentee list to match our own. Huge numbers missing.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 26, 2021, 05:55:20 PM »

One of the things that jumps out to me reading this thread is that if we lose a game or 2, then the comments are along the lines of "losing becomes a habit", and we're all doomed.

However, when opposition teams lose games or take a drubbing, then the comments are "they'll be desperate to bounce back"

So, maybe, Bath have the losing habit. They're capable of losing any game from a winning position etc etc
And we're about to bounce back and show what we're made of after a poor result last week

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 26, 2021, 05:56:43 PM »

I don't think they've been unlucky, but other than that I don't think the two positions are mutually exclusive.

Two teams both losing more games than they would like or expect. Neither one should take this game lightly in my opinion.

We could beat them comfortably, but that is not something we have got into the habit of over the last season or so.

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 26, 2021, 06:01:26 PM »
Bath have been poor.

And they've got an injury/absentee list to match our own. Huge numbers missing.

Might be the first game of the new 12 a side comp!

https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/sport/other-sport/bath-rugby-injury-latest-wasps-6116666

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: October 26, 2021, 06:03:13 PM »

One of the things that jumps out to me reading this thread is that if we lose a game or 2, then the comments are along the lines of "losing becomes a habit", and we're all doomed.

However, when opposition teams lose games or take a drubbing, then the comments are "they'll be desperate to bounce back"

So, maybe, Bath have the losing habit. They're capable of losing any game from a winning position etc etc
And we're about to bounce back and show what we're made of after a poor result last week

I'm not judging this on a couple of games. More that over the last few years we have had a few moments of near glory that ultimately came to nothing, and an awful lot of underperforming.

Our squad is equal to any, and has been for some time, and yet we can't ever seem to generate any consistency.

I love this club, please don't think for a second that I don't. But I'm getting fed up with there always being a perfectly good reason for us failing.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: October 26, 2021, 06:23:29 PM »
Somerset Live are reporting that, if you add the Academy to Bath's main squad, they have 58/59 players to call on, of which half are out injured. They will also lose 3 more (Sam Underhill, Charlie Ewels and Will Stuart) to England call up:

https://www.somersetlive.co.uk/sport/other-sport/bath-rugby-injury-latest-wasps-6116666

My poor brain says half injured is 29. Plus 3 is 32. From 59 is 27. To pick a team of 23 plus reserves. That has to be worse than where we are.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: October 26, 2021, 06:35:56 PM »
VV...
It certainly wasn't meant to be a comment directed at you....
More a response to the general comments that tend to fill the board when we're not doing so well.

Whenever we're losing, it seems that it's the end of the world and impossible to reverse.
When an opposition team loses, they're gonna bounce back better than before.

I know some of that is human nature.

And for the record, I agree with you.
This game really could go either way.
Not necessarily because one team is more in/out of form than the other, or has more injuries, but because what separates the best teams in the league from the others is consistency.
Neither of us are consistent in performance or execution, and therefore on the day any result feels as likely as any other.

I won't be betting the house on this one

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: October 26, 2021, 06:39:26 PM »
Bath away is never going to be a gimme. But I agree we should absolutely be confident about going there and getting a win. I also agree that this season we do need to put wins on the board where we haven’t for the last season or so. The Newcastle game is an example of the sort we need to capitalise on whilst the Saints game is what we need more of. I think our squad is more than capable as it is now to vie for a top 4 spot. If we get some reinforcements at Christmas time we can push on. But we can’t play for that. Who knows what else could happen between now and then injury wise. At first glance as a group of recruits Fifita, Stooke, Carr, Hislop, Frost, Crossdale are as good as we’ve done for a few years and there must be more to come from Scholtz and Hougaard. We need to start realising our potential.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: October 26, 2021, 09:05:06 PM »
Of course, in reality, we’re going to play the game.
But ideally, the whole squad could do with a full week’s rest and recuperation to reverse our injury situation.

Which is why having our off week in week one puts us at a distinct disadvantage as the season unfolds. Those that are having a much needed rest 5, 6, 7 games in will be grateful for the opportunity to refresh and recover now.