Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Theoretical 23 v Bath.  (Read 2306 times)

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Theoretical 23 v Bath.
« on: October 25, 2021, 07:13:35 PM »
I must admit I’m a bit surprised at some of the reaction to the Sarries game. It was, quite clearly, a tactical decision around selection. Our squad is strong. Theoretically our 23 v Bath could be:
West
Oghre
JTA
Stooke
Fifita
Shields
Young
Willis
Robson
Umaga
Bassett
Gopperth
McHenry
Kibirige
Crossdale

Hislop
Holding
Alo
Cardall
Carr
Watson
Porter
Mathews

That is a very good team - certainly capable of taking on any team in the league. We’re in a good place for me.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
Re: Theoretical 23 v Bath.
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2021, 07:20:32 PM »
Seems reasonable, with question marks next to Robson and Carr.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2021, 07:50:03 PM »
Yes, Robson carrying a groin issue. I guess they’ll try and get him through the next fortnight and then sort it. That decision may have been made partly by Hougaard’s display. Carr - not sure what he did. If he’s out it will probably be Curran.

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2021, 07:52:45 PM »
My main concern for the Bath game is that it is their first game back at home since their Saracens humiliation, however poorly you are playing that should be a big motivator.

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2021, 07:54:11 PM »
I suspect Scholz will play, as he seems to be part of a project.

I would play Cardell, and let Fifita cover 6 and 5 against a tiring [and they really tired against Sarries - after about 12 minutes] pack.

Give McHenry enough time to see if he can make the grade.

Malins may have had 4 tries handed to him on sunday, but Crossdale was the man who was under pressure and delivered.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2021, 08:46:20 PM »
If Dan isn’t fit I’d be tempted to start with Will Porter, he looked sharp when he came on.

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2021, 09:00:26 PM »
If Dan isn’t fit I’d be tempted to start with Will Porter, he looked sharp when he came on.

+1

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2021, 09:13:34 PM »
Hougard has a finger in a number of business pies, and may take time to settle, but he is capable of functioning at a very high level. I suspect he will start and Porter can pick up the pieces if necessary. As others have said, where is Wolstenholme?

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2021, 04:35:10 PM »
Looks like MLB will be in the 23. Might be at 12, with Gopps at 23.

Lee says he might play Bassett at 13 as well at some point.

welsh wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2021, 04:43:08 PM »
I assume Young is with the Wales squad since we play New Zealand this weekend.
Otherwise Shugs, people commenting here seemed generally content with the team chosen against Saracens.
I gather that Bath have a few injuries, including Simpson, and three with the England squad.

Horusthewasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 27, 2021, 04:54:11 PM »
I assume Young is with the Wales squad since we play New Zealand this weekend.

“The (All Blacks) match at Principality Stadium will take place without Wales’s England-based players as the match falls outside World Rugby’s designated Test window. That means Premiership clubs do not have to release their non-England contingent to play international rugby., so Young should be with us this weekend.

So unless Blackett decides otherwise, Young should be with us this weekend.

https://amp.theguardian.com/sport/2021/oct/25/pivac-faces-huge-task-with-wales-missing-15-players-for-new-zealand-test

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2021, 07:33:35 PM »
Young will be with us I'd think, otherwise wasps run the risk of getting fined by prl.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2021, 02:36:51 AM »
I still think we have a great team available, especially up front.
Would love to see Crossdale or Bassett at 13 but my concern would obviously be defensively for a newcomer - benefit is that Joseph will be out for Bath I think so slightly easier there.

Wonder what our game plan will be. Will we want to play physically like Bath like to do or try and run them ragged. Sarries managed both against them. Hope the weather stays good too

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2021, 09:48:43 AM »
Lee suggested that he’s anticipating making 12 changes for the Bath game this week, assuming people come through the training sessions this week.

There’s also perhaps also likely a surprise appearance likely from someone involved in the Saracens game but who hasn’t been mentioned on this thread.  I didn’t notice from watching the game (but we had a big family lunch so attention on the game wasn’t as full as usual) but by all accounts his stats and work rate were incredible.  He’s earnt himself a go.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 29, 2021, 10:26:17 AM »
Lee suggested that he’s anticipating making 12 changes for the Bath game this week, assuming people come through the training sessions this week.

There’s also perhaps also likely a surprise appearance likely from someone involved in the Saracens game but who hasn’t been mentioned on this thread.  I didn’t notice from watching the game (but we had a big family lunch so attention on the game wasn’t as full as usual) but by all accounts his stats and work rate were incredible.  He’s earnt himself a go.

🤔 Millar-Mills? Thought his work rate was good but struggled a bit in the set piece I think. Great to have more great options in the front row this year despite losing three big names