Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Cruse on axial loading  (Read 1426 times)

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Cruse on axial loading
« on: October 28, 2021, 04:57:15 PM »
Short half page bit in the Times today about scrum safety for hookers, contributions from TC, Scott Baldwin, Christian Day.
Main story on the back.
I have no link, sorry as I have a paper copy only.
Brief summary- hookers very worried about necks under the post 2013 protocols, more hookers needing surgery earlier.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Cruse on axial loading
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2021, 05:47:03 PM »
Sounds a worrying new development.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2021, 06:24:32 PM »
Players fear degenerative neck injuries and potential paralysis due to scrum laws
Hookers call on World Rugby to cut risk to necks

Alex Lowe, Rugby Correspondent

Hookers are pushing for action to prevent degenerative neck injuries and potential paralysis resulting from a law change in the scrum that was designed to make the game safer.

The Rugby Players Association (RPA) in England is putting pressure on World Rugby to find a solution to the “hidden” danger of axial loading, which persists despite being banned in 2019.

An investigation by The Times has discovered that male hookers are having to cope with an estimated 1,000 Newtons of force — the equivalent of 100kg — compressing their neck and spine at almost every scrum.

This is leading to players requiring neck operations at a much younger age. Scott Baldwin, the Wales and Worcester Warriors hooker, said that he had been three millimetres from being paralysed by a bulging disc.

Axial loading is the unintended consequence of the “crouch, bind, set” scrum engagement sequence that was introduced by World Rugby in 2013.
Advertisement

The change was made to reduce the number of serious injuries occurring by closing the gap between the two front rows, thereby reducing the speed of engagement and increasing stability.

The two packs are supposed to be balanced, with daylight in between the front rows, but that is rarely the case.

Instead, the packs routinely lean forward, with enormous force being transmitted through the neck and spine of the hooker, whose head is being driven into the shoulder of his opponent.
Sponsored

“It feels like your neck is about to snap. Imagine going to the gym now and putting 100 kilos on top of your head and you have to hold that weight for two to three seconds,” Baldwin said.

“You are one movement away from potentially ending your career, having a 12 to 16-week injury or, worst-case scenario, you are paralysed, you break your neck. I have scrummaged under the old laws and the new laws. Our necks were better off with the old laws.

“I had to have a disc replacement because of axial loading. When I went to see the surgeon, the surgeon said that since the law change he has seen a significant increase in operations on upper necks of hookers.

“For a surgeon to be saying that is quite alarming. The surgeon told me that if the bulge were three millimetres to the left then I could be paralysed.”

The RPA, Rugby Football Union and Premiership Rugby presented a scientific paper on axial loading to World Rugby in 2019 which contained contributions from international hookers including Jamie George (England) and Ken Owens (Wales). The practice was outlawed in the build-up to the 2019 World Cup.

World Rugby says it has reiterated to its referees the need to be vigilant in the autumn internationals to ensure both packs are balanced in the bind phase.

Baldwin said he would bet his mortgage that there has not been a scrum in the past two years without head-on-head contact in the bind phase.

Christian Day, head of player affairs at the RPA, believes this has become impossible for referees to prevent. “This was something you could only know about if you were a hooker or a front-row player,” Day said. “The evolution of the scrum engage sequence was a huge success. By removing the hit as much as possible the catastrophic neck injuries have reduced markedly. But by doing that we have created this other problem. Hookers are saying the scariest bit is not the engage any more, it is the bind, because they have nothing to mitigate against these [enormous] forces.

“The reason this is difficult to solve is that it [brings] a performance advantage to do it. I do think referees try to make it [the law] work but the players do it so much it has almost got to the point now where they can’t prevent it.

“It used to be an unwritten rule that hookers would get neck issues at the end of their career. Now we are seeing younger and younger hookers needing surgical correction.

“Now it comes to the question of how this can be mitigated. How do you remove some of the load? We are trying to find a solution. The solutions we have tried so far haven’t worked.”

In a statement, World Rugby said: “Player welfare is World Rugby’s top priority and the sport does not stand still in its evidence-based commitment to law review and evolution, and continues to monitor, review and act on injury trends in collaboration with players, coaches and medical experts.

“The scrum engagement sequence has reduced compression forces by 25 per cent versus the pre 2014 sequence and has also reduced overall scrum injury rates. Scrum stability and safety is paramount and everyone has a responsibility – match officials, players and coaches – to adhere to the laws, including acting positively to eradicate any practice of axial loading, which was outlawed in 2019.”

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2021, 07:01:17 PM »
That is worrying. Coupled with the continued increase in size of props and locks it sounds like something will have to change. I’ve never really understood the crouch, bind set if the objective was to limit the impact upon contact. Why can’t the refs just make sure they pack down close to each other.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2021, 07:50:02 PM »
Shrugs,

If I understand this correctly, the problem is that they aren’t following the laws:

The two packs are supposed to be balanced, with daylight in between the front rows, but that is rarely the case.

Instead, the packs routinely lean forward, with enormous force being transmitted through the neck and spine of the hooker, whose head is being driven into the shoulder of his opponent.
Sponsored

This is about enforcement but it’s also something that the players and coaches also have some control over. 
« Last Edit: October 29, 2021, 06:43:44 AM by Bloke in North Dorset »

Mellie

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2021, 07:54:30 PM »
I am currently playing hooker at a very low level where the forces are not that great. What tends to happen on the bind, if there is any accidental shove from behind, is that the front rows engage prematurely when heads slip off shoulders, though with very little impact.

It has often occurred to me that it would be easier to allow a gentle engage with no pushing on the bind. Any team that pushes gets penalised.

The current law was supposed to take away the 'hit' but it still exists from a head's length away. If pre-engaged then it is merely a pushing contest from when the ref gives the word and would probably be more stable and less likely to collapse. I really hate constant re-set scrums in the professional game.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2021, 10:01:05 PM »
Yes, you’re right BiND. It is the non adherence to the rules that is the issue. For me the contest at the scrum is about technique and power rather than who can get the “hit”. Mellie, what you described is the answer for me. Get the pack down quickly, no messing about and then engage from very close range. The team that wins the scrum would then be the one with the best technique and power rather than the one who can sneak some momentum. Probably easier to say than to officiate!

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2021, 10:26:39 PM »
Why not the front rows engage from a static position, followed by the locks then then no 8.

That will take all the momentum out of the setting of the scrum.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2021, 11:31:12 PM »
I think I remember 50 years ago when I was hooking that no pushing (shoving) was permitted until the ball was put into the scrum (straight). The ball had to pass 3 legs (both of your loose head's and 1 of the oppo's TH) before it was considered to be in.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

welsh wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 29, 2021, 12:24:49 PM »
Putting the ball in straight!? That's a novelty these days.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2021, 05:06:44 PM »
Putting the ball in straight!? That's a novelty these days.

I believe that's another decision that had may have had unintended consequences.

I believe the idea to largely ignore the crooked feeds came about in an attempt to try to speed the scrums up and get the ball out quicker.
The theory was also that the hooker wouldn't need to strike and therefore both teams would have 8 players pushing on the scrum, therefore keeping it even.

Teams had started to realise that instead of attacking a scrum on the opponents feed by striking for the ball, they were more likely to get an advantage by driving over when the hooker lifted his foot to win the ball.
At that point, it would essentially be 8 v 7 in the scrum.

By allowing crooked feeds and allowing both hooker's to ignore the strike the authorities felt they'd be evening the scrum up, but in reality they've turned it into an 8v8 shove-a-thon.
This alone may have increased the scrum forces by ~15%