Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Bath v Wasps: Post Match Thoughts.  (Read 1326 times)

Wombles

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Bath v Wasps: Post Match Thoughts.
« on: October 30, 2021, 05:12:41 PM »
Scrappy...but won

Could it of been different had it remained 15 v 15

Injuries AGAIN!!!

Our squad need to recognise that despite the win the performance was not good enough.

Its strange to be disappointed by a win, but todays performance, although scrappy and with a lot of heart. lacked control, precision and completed lacking in TCUP! Bath played some good rugby, and had us under the pump. Had Williams not earnt himself a red card with the reckless clear out of Gopps it could of been far different, indeed the momentum of the game was well in Baths favour at that time. Let us just hope Gopps is ok. In that regard let us also hope that Fifita and Robbo are ok as well, however I am not sure that will be the case, and we likely have two more on the long term injury list....and this list has become an absolute joke. I really hope our S&C are being looked at extremely closely as the rate of injuries is shocking.

But in the last 20 minutes we lacked any sort of plan or control, in the last 10 it was Bath who were down to 13 and then 14 for the last 2 minutes who controlled the game.

We have left without a TBP...which given the way the game went is unacceptable. Porter lost control when Bath were down to 13, he played what can be simply described as dumb rugby, kicking aimlessly when 23 had a 2 man advantage. Umaga never took control....Shields was too quiet....no one took responsibility or leadership. However I will credit Willis as he was awesome once more (he is a player you build your team around), Bomber was everywhere as well. JTA, good moments littered with poor. Overall though this was a performance that should make not only us fans angry, but also Lee and the Coaches! The win should not hide the deficits exposed.

Next weekend against Harlequins could be very painful. Perhaps the best thing to do tonight is to get the beers in, get som music on, and the lads need a open and honest heart to heart, as if we are going to be pushing top 4 performances like this have to end....no wheres my beer!

Chris

Once a Wasp ALWAYS a Wasp!

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Re: Bath v Wasps: Post Match Thoughts.
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2021, 05:20:08 PM »
Very scrappy game. I suspect the ball, particularly in the first half was like bar of soap. Actually I was a bit surprised that Dobby started. Come back from England with a lingering groin injury and then subbed in the first half. An ugly win but I'll take that. Would have liked to get 5 points but 4 will do.

PS. Glad to hear that Gopps is back out there with his teammates doing a lap of honour.

PPS. Bath looking increasingly isolated at the bottom of the table.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2021, 05:23:33 PM by Rossm »
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2021, 05:41:10 PM »
Glad to get over the line. A win is a win and we shouldn’t underestimate how badly Bath didn’t want to lose. 3 take aways. 1) Our defence stood up again 2) We need to be more clinical in the red zone. 3) More injuries. But it’s an away win in what I thought was always going to be a tricky game.

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2021, 05:55:10 PM »
Music on , Wombles?  What’s your choice for a bad win? Bitter Sweet Symphony?

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2021, 05:59:06 PM »
A win. An ugly win. I will take it, but that performance will not win more than a handful of games in the season. Backs didn't click. Watson is fast, but I would have preferred Crossdale.

Robson was not himself and struggled. He needs a rest, and clearly has not recovered. Too many players trying too hard, pushing it.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2021, 06:04:35 PM »
M o t  M?

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2021, 06:08:18 PM »
M o t  M?

Didn't hear one announced, but for me it would have been Tom Willis

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2021, 06:09:12 PM »
M o t  M?
Based on what I saw in the 2nd half - Tom Willis

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2021, 06:24:58 PM »
Apart from his own score, Willis got underneath two Bath attempted groundings.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2021, 11:36:06 PM »
Did I imagine that Tempo also red carded one of the Bath support staff at the same time as the Williams red?
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2021, 01:09:40 AM »
Did I imagine that Tempo also red carded one of the Bath support staff at the same time as the Williams red?

Yes that’s correct, for consistency you would like to think he’ll get a similar punishment to our recent misdemeanours in this area.
We will see if this happens.