Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Wasps v Pertemps Bees  (Read 1457 times)

OnceaBee

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Wasps v Pertemps Bees
« on: November 05, 2021, 12:18:25 PM »
Hi all

I’m sure many of you will remember the Powergen Cup game played at Adams Park back in 2004. The Wasps team on the day featuring Tom Voyce, Stuart Abbott, Simon Shaw, James Haskell lost 24-28 to part-time Pertemps Bees (Birmingham & Solihull RFC - now playing in Midlands 4 West!).

Does anyone on this forum have the match footage or highlights from this match? If so, would you be kind enough to share these or post them on YouTube?

At the time it was described as the ‘greatest upset in professional rugby history’.

Any help on this greatly appreciated

Ollie

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Wasps v Pertemps Bees
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2021, 12:42:16 PM »
I've reported this post to the moderator as I'd prefer not to be reminded of that day

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2021, 12:47:05 PM »
I've reported this post to the moderator as I'd prefer not to be reminded of that day

Lol.

Cosmos

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2021, 12:48:38 PM »
Yes not something to remember from a Wasps point of view, unless you are a Bees fan, I hope there is no evidence available.  Although from an educational view point it might be worth showing new recruits how not to play a cup game.

OnceaBee

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 05, 2021, 12:55:45 PM »
I was a Bees fan in the Championship/Nat 1 era and attended the game. Occasional visitor to Wasps nowadays.

Full disclaimer I’m purely after this to watch back with my Dad as it was a great day out (appreciate not so good for Wasps fans)

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2021, 01:03:02 PM »
At the time it was described as the ‘greatest upset in professional rugby history’.

I think it still is!  Wasps were English champions at the time, and completed a Premiership and Heineken Cup double a coupe of months later.  And although they rested a few on the day, that 22 still had plenty of internationals amongst them.

Wasps Team: Tom Voyce, Mike Roberts, Ayoola Erinle, Stuart Abbott, John Rudd, Peter Richards, Harvey Biljon, Tim Payne, Trevor Leota, Will Green, Simon Shaw, Richard Birkett, George Skivington, Tom Rees, Ian Clarke. Reps: Ben Gotting, Ali McKenzie, Martin Purdy, James Haskell, Rob Howley, Mark Denney, Mark van Gisbergen

I think Warren Gatland made sure no video evidence of this ever emerged! :)  But good luck in tracking something down.  (If you do find anything, please destroy it!)  ;D

OnceaBee

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2021, 01:20:39 PM »

I think it still is!  Wasps were English champions at the time, and completed a Premiership and Heineken Cup double a coupe of months later.  And although they rested a few on the day, that 22 still had plenty of internationals amongst them.

Wasps Team: Tom Voyce, Mike Roberts, Ayoola Erinle, Stuart Abbott, John Rudd, Peter Richards, Harvey Biljon, Tim Payne, Trevor Leota, Will Green, Simon Shaw, Richard Birkett, George Skivington, Tom Rees, Ian Clarke. Reps: Ben Gotting, Ali McKenzie, Martin Purdy, James Haskell, Rob Howley, Mark Denney, Mark van Gisbergen

I think Warren Gatland made sure no video evidence of this ever emerged! :)  But good luck in tracking something down.  (If you do find anything, please destroy it!)  ;D

I seem to recall some bookies were even offering odds of 250-1 and there were posters displayed at Adams Park advertising coach travel to the semi-final! Whilst not quite on the same level as RWC 2003 winners (Abbott & Shaw) Bees had some decent players of their own that season; our wing Nick Baxter was an ex Eng 7s international and first player to score 150 tries in the national leagues.

OnceaBee

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2021, 01:23:38 PM »
Does anyone have a contact at the club who may have the footage? I presume a club like Wasps will keep an archive of games. The highlights were shown on Rugby Special from memory.

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2021, 02:10:36 PM »

Lol.

He apologised to the Wasps fans after the match. :)

The one abiding memory for me was seeing Shaun after match. He was apoplectic with rage. Usually he was quite approachable after matches, that day everyone kept away from him.

MarleyWasp

« Reply #9 on: November 05, 2021, 06:05:12 PM »
A few days before I drunkenly staggered past a bookies offering 300/1. I had £40 in cash on me but figured that I wouldn't be able to go to Newcastle for the semi final if I put the bet on.

I may be able to provide some footage. Will check tomorrow.

Buttoi

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2021, 06:17:22 PM »
Hi all

I’m sure many of you will remember the Powergen Cup game played at Adams Park back in 2004. The Wasps team on the day featuring Tom Voyce, Stuart Abbott, Simon Shaw, James Haskell lost 24-28 to part-time Pertemps Bees (Birmingham & Solihull RFC - now playing in Midlands 4 West!).

Does anyone on this forum have the match footage or highlights from this match? If so, would you be kind enough to share these or post them on YouTube?

Ollie

It’s been a long time since I’ve watched it but I seem to remember a few clips of the game and Gats talking about the loss on the Wasps DVD

Think this is the correct one
London Wasps - The Double - Heineken Cup Winners 2004 & Zurich Premiership Champions 2003-04 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00271KCMQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_QGFRKCRQ1SPHC3PMXT5R

OnceaBee

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2021, 09:16:35 PM »
A few days before I drunkenly staggered past a bookies offering 300/1. I had £40 in cash on me but figured that I wouldn't be able to go to Newcastle for the semi final if I put the bet on.

I may be able to provide some footage. Will check tomorrow.

Thanks MarleyWasp - that would be great!

OnceaBee

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2021, 09:18:37 PM »
Hi all

Ollie

It’s been a long time since I’ve watched it but I seem to remember a few clips of the game and Gats talking about the loss on the Wasps DVD

Think this is the correct one
London Wasps - The Double - Heineken Cup Winners 2004 & Zurich Premiership Champions 2003-04 https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00271KCMQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_QGFRKCRQ1SPHC3PMXT5R

Thanks Buttoi - I will buy a copy of this if I can’t track down the full footage

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2021, 09:43:42 PM »
From a Wasps suppoertes POV, it was one of the most eminently forgettable performances by Wasps that I have ever seen - although the New Years Day game v Wuss in 2012 came very close.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 05, 2021, 10:47:33 PM »
Think you touched a very sore spot there OnceaBee.