Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Next Season  (Read 3597 times)

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
Next Season
« on: February 14, 2018, 02:31:39 PM »
I don't like how this article seems to be based on the assumption that Wade is off.  And I don't necessarily think Brookes is a step up on JCW, but it's an decent read all the same.  Henderson would be an interesting addition...

https://www.ruck.co.uk/wasps-line-next-season-incredibly-strong-back-line/
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Next Season
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 02:57:10 PM »
Not a nice read. Christian was recently quoted that he wanted to win something with Wasps before moving on. Hope that is truer than this article. The proposed signings are interesting though.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 05:33:37 PM »
Brookes on current form isn't a step up. On good form? Maybe, but a fantastic rotation option regardless.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 05:49:15 PM »
I'd take Iain Henderson any time. I think this is first I've heard linking him with us. Brookes could be a good signing if Dai works his magic. As for Wade leaving, thought we would have heard already. However if he goes, it's another to lay at Eddie Jones' and his selectorial skills.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 10:09:25 PM »
Brookes on current form isn't a step up. On good form? Maybe, but a fantastic rotation option regardless.

According to the CET, Brookes has today confirmed he is leaving Saints for a new club for next season, the CET suggest it might be Wasps.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2018, 08:45:14 AM »
Henderson is a tricky one.
He'd obviously be a great option, and you'd assume would start with launchbury.

However, if he's still up for international selection, then we'd lose our first 2 choices at lock for the AIs and 6 nations. Plus neither would get a proper rest in the summer either.

It's a difficult one to make a decision on. Having your players away on international duty is one of the things that a successful team has to contend with.
Saracens have done it recently with 2 locks being selected for England. Leicester used to have Johnson and Kay selected all the time. We've probably dealt with it in the past too (did Palmer and Shaw ever play together and get selected?)

Ultimately, I think you need to have the best players possible in the squad. It not only improves the quality of the starting XV, but pushes others to improve too.
If we can afford him, then I think we should do it

Trevs Big Tackle

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2018, 10:08:12 AM »
With the league and play off system as it is, it's not about having the best squad, it's about having the best 23 players for the semi-final and final. The squad just has to be strong enough to get you in the top 4. Come May it doesn't matter if your 4th choice lock is better than theirs, or how good your 3rd choice tight head is.

There's a balancing act of course. But when a class player comes on the market you should be interested. But injuries complicate matters too!

Trevs Big Tackle

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2018, 12:18:53 PM »
Wade on the bench this weekend. Is Dai giving him the Varndell treatment...?  :-X :-[

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2018, 12:28:33 PM »
I very much hope not.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here