Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Wasps v Harlequins: Post Match Thoughts.  (Read 3325 times)

Wombles

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Wasps v Harlequins: Post Match Thoughts.
« on: November 07, 2021, 06:44:04 PM »
Good first 40, bad second 40.

Beaten by the better of 2 underperforming teams.

Lose the set piece, lose the penalty count, lose the game.

First up, you cannot fault the effort of the lads, they did really give it their all, full of spirit. Unfortunately when you are relying heavily on loans and with a injury list such as ours, not all of them will be premiership level and there will be underlying fault lines that will eventually be exposed. Quins to their credit deserved the 5 points, we deserved a LBP, but sport is cruel.

We have to rest now, forget the premiership cup and put out the academy. Unfortunately I was hoping for a crack at Europe this season, but again with the injuries and 4 rounds only it may be better to abandon that as well. With our full team we could of fought on 2 fronts, where we are now the premiership has to take precedence. We have to survive to stay in touch of the top 6, and then as the injured start to return work from there.

We are only 7 rounds in, but it could be that ours will be a season of "If only" given our injuries, and it this uncontrollable element that is controlling our fortunes. Qualification for Champions cup rugby next year and a outside shout for top 4 would be an exceptional result.

Chris

Once a Wasp ALWAYS a Wasp.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
Re: Wasps v Harlequins: Post Match Thoughts.
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2021, 06:56:57 PM »
I feel flat, deflated. The big difference was the Quins 10, 12 and 13. Our 10, 12 and 13 were no match. Losing Crossdale was also a blow.

There is no blame here. Those gave their all. It wasn't enough. That's what it means to lose a game to the better side.

I don't think we added any more long term injuries there. The only player who clearly wasn't up to it was Nearchou. He was actually slower round the field than Brookes used to be. Given how young he is, that isn't good.

I am going to say it again, whilst I don't agree with the way he refs, Barnes was fair and balanced. Can we reset in just 19 days before we play Gloucester? No, but we can pray we win that one, and at Worcester away the following week.

I think our sights will have to be on Irish on Boxing Day.

Everything is still to play for, and we have a game in hand over some teams still. That fourth from top slot is still possible.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2021, 06:59:28 PM »
Irish who beat Exeter and dragged out a draw against Sarries?
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

NellyWellyWaspy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2021, 07:06:42 PM »
Irish who beat Exeter and dragged out a draw against Sarries?

Yes, it will be a hard match.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2021, 07:10:41 PM »
Post match thoughts are that we need bodies back. We’re really missing West at scrum time. Our back row and locks will always give us a chance but fatigue just led to mistakes today. We were out on our feet at the end. We looked dangerous first half but weren’t clinical enough and second half we infringed our way out of contention. Disagree about Barnes - I thought he made some appalling calls and was baled out by his TMO. He refuses to officiate offside. I don’t think he was the reason we lost but for me he’s a guy playing on reputation. Take a break now, regroup, and we’ll be OK.

The Falcon

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2021, 07:11:31 PM »
What was the crowd like today gents?

NellyWellyWaspy

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2021, 07:28:04 PM »
What was the crowd like today gents?

It looked low. Late on a Sunday, on Bonfire night weekend, not the best timing. Nothing to be done about that.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2021, 07:44:33 PM »
Agreed. It felt like 8-9,000.

bigad82

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2021, 07:53:40 PM »
It did make in laugh in the 2nd half when Barnes pinged us for offside.
Listening to ref radio he ignored any call for offside from the touchline.
He really has turned himself into a bad official.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2021, 08:03:53 PM »
For me there is a direct correlation between referees achieving “celebrity” status and their officiating becoming poorer. How long was the advantage he played first half? How did he miss the Quins knock on early on (TMO gave it), his offside interpretation was bizarre all game and he just seems to miss a hell of a lot.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2021, 08:28:54 PM »
I thought Will Porter had a good game, he’s a long way from the finished product, maybe 70% to 80% of Dobbie, but he improves with every match.

Did I see him flatten Care with a fend-off on one of the breaks?

The Falcon

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2021, 08:32:10 PM »
Agreed. It felt like 8-9,000.

Some of the photos I've seen it doesn't even look that. Agree though the timing wasn't the best.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2021, 08:43:16 PM »
For me there is a direct correlation between referees achieving “celebrity” status and their officiating becoming poorer. How long was the advantage he played first half? How did he miss the Quins knock on early on (TMO gave it), his offside interpretation was bizarre all game and he just seems to miss a hell of a lot.

I am with you on that. Not that long ago Barnes would be a plum appointment.
Now, there are others I prefer.
 Refs can definitely change, and both ways too, look at the way, say, George Clancy started his career, randomly robbing teams and getting an awful reputation, but by the end there were worse.
CMK has improved, for example. Barnes has definitely gotten worse over the last couple of years. To be fair, there will be worse than Barnes at his worst, but I did feel offside was a bit random and that advantage at the end of the first was ludicrous.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2021, 08:54:29 PM »
Looking at the rest of our fixtures this year, we play two Prem Cup matches, two in the Heiny and 3 in the GP. The prority has to be the 3 GP games.

Forget the Prem Cup. Forget the Heiny - we just don't have enough fit, quality players to compete against Munster and ST.

We have Glaws home, Wuss away and Irish at home. Hopefully we should have enough players fit for the Glaws and Wuss matches, to give us a chance of getting Ws., with possibly some of the cavalry available for the Irish game on Boxing Day. If we can end the year on 6 and 4, I, for one, will be happy.

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2021, 09:14:34 PM »
I thought Will Porter had a good game, he’s a long way from the finished product, maybe 70% to 80% of Dobbie, but he improves with every match.

Did I see him flatten Care with a fend-off on one of the breaks?

I thought his kicking was poor. Too many just hoofed long and in field, letting Green make easy catches and easy metres. If you're going to kick to the most dangerous guy on the field, and least either make him compete or trap him against the touchline.

I thought we were really loose at key moments. Hideous inaccuracy in their 22, and just making odd choices. And Bassett's non try was another example of not being able to execute simple skills under pressure. There was just no need to over run it and force a forward pass. Say what you like about Sarries, but they are clinical and they are ruthless. As are Quins.