Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Match Thread  (Read 2971 times)

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Match Thread
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2021, 07:08:43 PM »
"At scrum time I much prefer the SH approach, one bite at winning the pen, ball available use it."

I remember someone, may have been Barnes, explaining that after "use it" continuing to push and getting your scrum going forward was acceptable, it didn't mean that you had to take it out of the scrum. Quins did us that way a few times.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2021, 07:12:38 PM »
But in the SH when you continue to push they don't award a pen when it inevitably disintegrates, they reset. Once teams realise they cannot get the pen, they use it. Up here they reward the continued  shove, unless the 8 fails to control it.

Laterontoday

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2021, 07:16:37 PM »
Agree with the others that our loanee front row players just aren't at this level. Scrums were getting hammered second half. Nearchou  going off was a blessing at least we couldn't loose uncontested scrums.

Two weeks rest and recovery, come back strong riday night under the lights

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2021, 07:26:20 PM »
Marcus Watson is a sevens player and GTA just isn’t a premiership prop, his scrummaging just isn’t good enough he gives away multiple penalties every match

Agreed. But, you could also say that Jacob has some way to go in defense. He, at least, gets better with each game. Typical for a 10, he makes a few tackles upright, and falls off others, and is not confident in the air. In attack he is great, but does not have a top gear (speed). Fast as he is, Kibirige is very poor under the ball, and poor at being evasive (he simply runs in to the tackle and falls over). He excels only when he has space. Tackling, at best you would rate him as poor, often being out of position. But, it is where we are with available players.

At least GTA has his good points around the pitch, but he is a bench player, not a starter.

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2021, 07:34:26 PM »
Forget the premiership cup play youngster and loanees and players coming back to fitness. The main players need a rest. Two things I’ve mentioned before and It was obvious again today, Marcus Watson is a sevens player and GTA just isn’t a premiership prop, his scrummaging just isn’t good enough he gives away multiple penalties every match

Most of, if not all the penalties were on loose head side not JTA, Hislop penalised a couple of times before he went off then Nearchou unfortunately was just not in a fair fight.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2021, 07:38:28 PM »
To be fair to Umaga he put a couple of decent hits on Esterhuizen today but got caught out positionally for there second try. I think Kibirige is quite evasive - his biggest problem today was not getting passed to.

andermt

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2021, 07:45:54 PM »
Forget the premiership cup play youngster and loanees and players coming back to fitness. The main players need a rest. Two things I’ve mentioned before and It was obvious again today, Marcus Watson is a sevens player and GTA just isn’t a premiership prop, his scrummaging just isn’t good enough he gives away multiple penalties every match

Most of, if not all the penalties were on loose head side not JTA, Hislop penalised a couple of times before he went off then Nearchou unfortunately was just not in a fair fight.

Exactly, on reflink Barnes told Jeff he was fine.
The one that looked dodgy from the stands and couldn’t hear any explaination from Barnes was in the 2nd half, the Quins player popped up in the centre of the scrum and he awarded the penalty against Wasps.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2021, 08:35:55 PM »
I like to be positive, and in that first it was like having an on form young Cipriani again. Defensively Jacob might need work, but boy, he really can play in traffic.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2021, 09:23:51 PM »

Exactly, on reflink Barnes told Jeff he was fine.
The one that looked dodgy from the stands and couldn’t hear any explaination from Barnes was in the 2nd half, the Quins player popped up in the centre of the scrum and he awarded the penalty against Wasps.

This. On reflink you could hear Barnes continually "coaching" Quins on what they were doing wrong and how to correct it. Sorry that is not his job. Penalise them till they get it right.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2021, 09:28:18 PM »
Agreed, I get very irritated with refs coaching teams. Barnes is simply too close to Quins. But overall it grates on me when I hear first names used and obvious attempts at humorous soundbites used. Just ref the game.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2021, 09:34:38 PM »
Agreed, I get very irritated with refs coaching teams. Barnes is simply too close to Quins. But overall it grates on me when I hear first names used and obvious attempts at humorous soundbites used. Just ref the game.

Yes the number of times he referred to "Greeny" had me climbing the wall.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2021, 10:01:15 PM »
Me too. His banter with “Danny” is also a bit cringey.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2021, 10:04:54 PM »
GTA, Nelly? At least we know what is in your auto correct dictionary :D
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2021, 10:13:40 PM »
We were close to throwing molotov cocktails at Barnes by the end of the game.  At the finish  there several Quins gathered around him saying Thank You (as well they might)  but noticeably no Wasps.  The scrum  was seen  from our view to have been pulled down twice by Quins in quick succession but without a penalty. He missed several forward throws but spotted any Wasp ones. Brad was brought down  by a seat-belt tackle from behind and then neck-rolled. No action taken.  There were other moments too.  I would never accuse nor suspect him of cheating but wasn't surprised to see Quins up  on our whitewash at the finish of the game.  He is far too 'close'  to Quins.  I know we weren't perfect but neither was the reffing and I had expected much more from someone of Barnes's reputation..