Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Reflink  (Read 3909 times)

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
Re: Reflink
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2021, 12:35:11 PM »
As well as the dedicated "London Wasps" branded reflinks (see above) I also have a cheapo FM earphone-only radio that has a FM range that starts at 60MHz (as opposed to the usual 87+Mhz that most radios start at). This works fine at all places I have tried it at (including Wasps. Twickenham, Lords, Edgebaston and The Oval), wheras altough the reflink works at all Premiership venues it doesn't seem to work at Twickenham and some of the cricket venues.

Any FM radio that has a range starting at 60MHz will pick-up reflink. However most start at either 64MHz or 87MHz so these will not do.

They are hard to find on ebay, but can find them easily enough on Amazon (The one I have is marketed as Greenbang on Amazon)

Advantages are: can be used anywhere, not just as reflinks, but also as normal radio.

Disadvantage is no simple switching between Reflink and commentry usually found on second channel of a reflink device.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2021, 08:39:35 PM »

Some mobiles have fm radio capabilities - typically using the headphones as an aerial.

I would think they'd have the capability of picking up the required frequencies

RogerE

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 11, 2021, 08:59:13 AM »

Some mobiles have fm radio capabilities - typically using the headphones as an aerial.

I would think they'd have the capability of picking up the required frequencies

I don't know about Apple phones, but the Android ones I have tested all have the availability to use only the 87 - 108Mhz (broadcast) range, which is outside the "reflink" range.

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 12, 2021, 04:18:01 PM »
They are trialling broadcasting TMO decisions over the PA at Gloucester tonight, I'm sure the shed will approve!

https://www.gloucesterrugby.co.uk/news/referee-decisions-played-out-over-the-public-address-system-protocol

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 12, 2021, 04:48:42 PM »
They are trialling broadcasting TMO decisions over the PA at Gloucester tonight, I'm sure the shed will approve!

https://www.gloucesterrugby.co.uk/news/referee-decisions-played-out-over-the-public-address-system-protocol

Another SH "innovation".
Let me tell you something cucumber

Mellie

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 12, 2021, 05:42:19 PM »
They've been doing that in  the NFL for decades!

MarleyWasp

« Reply #21 on: November 12, 2021, 06:00:17 PM »
Rugby League was doing it at the 2000 World Cup. About time we caught up with everyone else.

RogerE

• View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 12, 2021, 07:20:35 PM »

If they do that at the CBS Arena, those in the centre of the East Stand will still not know what's going on  :)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 12, 2021, 07:23:56 PM »

If they do that at the CBS Arena, those in the centre of the East Stand will still not know what's going on  :)

😀😀😀

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 12, 2021, 08:33:22 PM »
Neither will Block B.     

Lwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 15, 2021, 11:26:42 AM »
I brought this on Amazon for £7.99: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07QQS9MGB/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1. Works well, except for yesterday when I couldn't find the Reflink but did pick up the full BT Sport commentary. Felt very strange watching a game live with BT commentary, although the replays shown on the big screen made a lot more sense.

Marley, just wanna say thanks very much for this Link and tip. Bought one last week and took to HQ on Sat, worked a treat (of course not on any of the 4 Ofcom frequencies). Only additional note I would add is the free earphones supplied with it were not loud enough to be heard over the stadium noise. Switched out for quality ones and all was good.

And now Reflinks are £8 anyway has already paid for itself. Hoping it'll work at Lords for years to come too.

Thanks again.

Tervueren

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2022, 10:49:28 AM »
Advice/idiot-spotting required. Bought a Premiership Rugby clip over the ear reflink and a Covvy FM radio, at the home game against Gloucester could not pick up anything. Anyone know if it was being broadcast at the match? Or, otherwise, have any suggestions?

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2022, 10:56:04 AM »
Advice/idiot-spotting required. Bought a Premiership Rugby clip over the ear reflink and a Covvy FM radio, at the home game against Gloucester could not pick up anything. Anyone know if it was being broadcast at the match? Or, otherwise, have any suggestions?

If it is a genuine PRL RefLink you will get most of the Officials chit chat usually on channel E1. On channel E2 you usually get the BT commentary.  Occasionally they bleed into each other at the CBSA but hearing a ref with Austin faintly in the background is not as bad as you might think!

I have found that a pair of headphones plugged in is better than trying to balance the actual Reflink beast on my ear.

Tervueren

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2022, 11:12:20 AM »
Thanks. The problem I had was that I could switch the reflink to FM radio and it worked, but back to reflink mode and heard nothing on any of E1 to E4. On the other radio I checked that I could get normal radio, but scanning from 60 up to 70 found nothing.
Will try again tomorrow when Leicester's run is ending.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2022, 11:28:53 AM »
The other thing we have found with them is they tend to eat batteries. Partly because we have to have at full volume to get decent sound.