Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Exeter to ditch Branding  (Read 1884 times)

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Exeter to ditch Branding
« Reply #15 on: November 26, 2021, 11:57:14 AM »
Exeter should really look at this as a great marketing opportunity to sell a whole raft of new items

exactly this, they could have done this like Wasps at a point where kit is being renewed anyway, plus it would have been a great way to sell off the old stock as the last ones with the old branding on.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2021, 01:54:49 PM »
It'll be interesting to see if they decide to change the name or just the image. For example they could stick with chiefs but change the image to be a celtic chief or a chief petty officer etc. Alternatively do you go the whole hogg (pardon the pun) and rename as well - perhaps the exeter otters, or the Exeter hounds?

They might want to change from Chiefs for PR purposes but those native Americans don't have a monopoly on the word, in fact they may well have "culturally appropriated" it themselves given its origin:

chief (adj.)
c. 1300, "highest in rank or power; most important or prominent; supreme, best, placed above the rest," from Old French chief "chief, principal, first" (10c., Modern French chef), from Vulgar Latin *capum (also source of Spanish and Portuguese cabo, Italian capo, Provençal cap), from Latin caput "head," also "leader, guide, chief person; summit; capital city" (from PIE root *kaput- "head").

chief (n.)

c. 1300, "head, leader, captain; the principal or most important part of anything;" from Old French chief "leader, ruler, head" of something, "capital city" (10c., Modern French chef), from Vulgar Latin *capum, from Latin caput "head," also "leader, chief person; summit; capital city" (from PIE root *kaput- "head"). Meaning "head of a clan" is from 1570s; later extended to headmen of Native American tribes (by 1713; William Penn, 1680s, called them kings). Commander-in-chief is attested from 1660s.
https://www.etymonline.com/word/chief

andermt

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2021, 02:01:29 PM »
There hasn't been any uproar about the name, the issue is with the branding.

I think if they said they would rebrand for next season people would accept that, there will be the odd one who doesn't, and I can see their POV to a point but hopefully common sense prevails from all sides as upto now Exeter have been quite poor in the way they have gone about this.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2021, 03:37:46 PM »
There's been suggestions that they might want to move away from chiefs, not because it's problematic in itself, but because of the baggage attached when it comes to exeter rugby clubs owned by Tony Rowe etc. A cleaner break to leave it behind as well. Don't think anyone will be upset if they don't though.

welsh wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2021, 04:55:51 PM »
Seems the right decision is on the way to being made. And not with too much of a fuss.
Well done Wasps management for putting forward a polite request when we hosted Exeter a few games ago.

13thWarrior

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 26, 2021, 07:33:56 PM »

They might want to change from Chiefs for PR purposes but those native Americans don't have a monopoly on the word, in fact they may well have "culturally appropriated" it themselves given its origin:

chief (adj.)
c. 1300, "highest in rank or power; most important or prominent; supreme, best, placed above the rest," from Old French chief "chief, principal, first" (10c., Modern French chef), from Vulgar Latin *capum (also source of Spanish and Portuguese cabo, Italian capo, Provençal cap), from Latin caput "head," also "leader, guide, chief person; summit; capital city" (from PIE root *kaput- "head").

chief (n.)

c. 1300, "head, leader, captain; the principal or most important part of anything;" from Old French chief "leader, ruler, head" of something, "capital city" (10c., Modern French chef), from Vulgar Latin *capum, from Latin caput "head," also "leader, chief person; summit; capital city" (from PIE root *kaput- "head"). Meaning "head of a clan" is from 1570s; later extended to headmen of Native American tribes (by 1713; William Penn, 1680s, called them kings). Commander-in-chief is attested from 1660s.
https://www.etymonline.com/word/chief
Well the English word of course doesn't have Native American roots?

Exeter are for some reason resisting, but they must see sense in just dropping the "big bloke with headdress" branding and go with something more appropriate

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 26, 2021, 07:42:08 PM »
Chuck a toque blanche on his head
Rename to Exeter Chefs

Job done

MartinB - Radnage Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 26, 2021, 07:45:35 PM »
I am afraid I disagree with most of the above posts. My view is that people are being too PC over such matters and that Exeter's "Chiefs" branding is a bit of fun and I find it incredible that American Indians would be so sensitive as to want an English rugby team to change their name association. I am certainly in the camp of opposition supporters that do not like the chanting/drums etc but I also do not like most things opposition supporters do!.......and wish we had something catchier to shout at Wasps (we did try hard to come up with something different while at Adams Park but didn't get very far!). That said, it adds to the atmosphere and that, on balance is a good thing for me.
Another way of looking at this is that the reason Chiefs are such a strong logo is that people immediately perceive them as proud, brave and strong........is that insulting?

I may be a minority of one here but is "The Chiefs" brand really so awful and insensitive? ..........I will put my hard hat on now :-\ :-\