Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Alfie and Eddie  (Read 3807 times)

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
Re: Alfie and Eddie
« Reply #15 on: November 27, 2021, 12:53:06 PM »
I think a back row of

6- Brad Shields
7- Jack Willis
8- Alfie Barbeary
20 Tom Willis

Would have me salivating the most.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 27, 2021, 01:35:19 PM »
We’re extremely blessed in the back row. Even when we have to take Young out of the equation in addition to the 4 quoted above we have one of the best players we have in my opinion - Carr.

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 27, 2021, 01:38:29 PM »
We’re extremely blessed in the back row. Even when we have to take Young out of the equation in addition to the 4 quoted above we have one of the best players we have in my opinion - Carr.
Was just about to mention ‘ what about Carr? ‘

Sussex Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 27, 2021, 05:56:41 PM »
Que Jones now saying he won’t be picking Alfie as a back row as he is too small to play there
Made me smile . +1

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2021, 10:20:38 PM »
Was just about to mention ‘ what about Carr? ‘

Great player, and sure to be in the 23 when any of the above are injured, banned or serving a head injury suspension which for a back rower would be a very frequent occurrance.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2021, 10:29:47 PM »
As blessed as we are with great talent in the back row, when we've been at our best over the past few seasons it's when we've been turning ball over.

George Smith
Thomas Young
Jack Willis

In those 3 players, we've had some of the best talent in the league at winning penalties or ball at the breakdown.

With Thomas Young off, that leaves us with just Jack, who we're all desperately hoping returns with the same ability that he had before his injury.

I really don't feel that we have other back row options capable of giving us sufficient dominance on the ground to allow us to really hurt teams with regular turnover ball.

At 6 and 8 we're blessed.
Carr often acts as a good link man
Jack is so much better than the rest on the ground that without him we're a very different team
« Last Edit: November 27, 2021, 11:09:24 PM by wasps »

MarleyWasp

« Reply #21 on: November 28, 2021, 06:33:21 PM »
The lack of options at 7 with Thomas going worries me. I would really like to see us go after Olly Robinson, given the strength in depth Cardiff will have in the back row. Dai allowed him to join up with the Barbarians, rather than going to SA, so he may not be part of Dai's plans and therefore available. He's an excellent 7, his brother is on our coaching staff and he'd be great back up to Jack.

Sliminator

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 28, 2021, 07:59:14 PM »
I have a feeling that we will see Carr at 7, Alfie is pretty effective at turnovers, although he seems to manage to rip the ball in the tackle and miraculously charge through the ruck...

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 28, 2021, 08:00:18 PM »
The lack of options at 7 with Thomas going worries me.

+1 my biggest transfer requests are prop (can't remember if it's loosehead or tight head), 7 and 10/12.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 28, 2021, 08:11:47 PM »
Some SH commentators have been suggesting the backrow having an emphasis more towards supporting their own side's attacking rucks, especially in the wider channels and to "clear out" providing quick ball. This emphasis is also - I guess - in the context of the way in which the officiating seems to be going in light of the WR guidelines on the breakdown which - if enacted, ought to reduced the jackal opportunities as a ruck means a ruck!

Having a fast, good ball carrying backrow that gets to the wider channels securing out own ball asap, will not only suit our preferred style of play, but mean we have most of the resources. I will happily admit that I have added a number of strands and articles I've read and made 10 - but I do think we're probably ok with the players already.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 28, 2021, 09:45:19 PM »
I think 7 is the least of our worries. Carr is exceptional. Shields can play there as can Willis when fit. And we still have Fifita, Barbeary, Morris, Curran and Pichardie that can play flanker.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 28, 2021, 09:47:16 PM »
You may be right.
I just feel that we're at our best when we can turn the ball over on the ground.
Over the years, it's been Volley, Rees, Smith Young and Willis, and they've typically been better at it than anyone else in the league.

It may just be a coincidence that our very poor years have occurred when we didn't have a great jackalling 7.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 28, 2021, 10:17:27 PM »
You may be right.
I just feel that we're at our best when we can turn the ball over on the ground.
Over the years, it's been Volley, Rees, Smith Young and Willis, and they've typically been better at it than anyone else in the league.

It may just be a coincidence that our very poor years have occurred when we didn't have a great jackalling 7.

+1 that's a bloody good point. After Jack the ripper, there's no one. Carr and co aren't jackals.

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2021, 10:15:22 AM »
Historically, we’ve also had one out and out fetcher. 

Equally though, we’ve also had players pretty handy at turnovers: Launch, Cruse, Jimmy all seem pretty happy to put their head between the spokes in a ruck.  Both Ash and Tommy Taylor could nab a turnover in his day and I’m sure there’s a prop I’m forgetting too.

The problem we’ve got, is that they’re all pretty much injured or not starting at the moment.

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2021, 10:31:47 AM »
With Jack out I would say Oghre is our next best jackaller, he doesn't get so many chances to jackal when playing at Hooker though.