Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Forfeit Games on cards  (Read 4960 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Let me tell you something cucumber

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
Re: Forfeit Games on cards
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2021, 09:03:49 AM »
Rock and hard place I think. Munster know that they can get a 23 man squad together, but they would mostly be academy players, and most are not EPCR registered. The issue has arisen before, where a club needed to register more players at a late stage, and the EPCR refused on the grounds of the integrity of the rules. They will do so again. The EPCR have repeatedly confirmed there will be no movement of the fixture either. The Munster squad is having daily tests, and all is well so far. For their health and well being, let us hope it remains so.

They have permission to travel to Ireland, but there are hints that, even if they isolate for 10 days upon arrival in Ireland, the UK may not allow them to then onward travel to England. I have no idea what the rules are, but I would think we have rules about bypassing our quarantine rules by coming from a red list country via a third country. I am guessing that there is a need to have been in a 'green' list country for a minimum number of days before travel.

From some tweets that I have read, the big issue is finding a (suitable) plane and crew, and thus far that has not been found. Operationally, airlines appear to have got everything off the ground and out of the region before the deadlines set in, and are not flying in any planes to avoid them being stranded (crew and plane). It would be a really big risk to fly a big jet in to SA (but I am guessing they could easily fill it with passengers wanting to get back 'home'). But, what happens if it has landed and then more of the squad test positive? The plane would be stuck there. I can't see an airline wanting to risk stranding a big jet. The other issue is if all the players are on one flight. These guys simply do not 'fit' into normal seats (width of seat or leg room). They normally travel business class or above.

I also understand that the 10 days have to be full days (midnight to midnight). Assuming the team flew from Ireland to England on the Sunday morning, they would have to enter the quarantine hotel on Wednesday in Ireland. That's tomorrow. There are no commercial flights direct to Dublin, but one stop flights typically take 13-16 hours. Add some hours to get through immigration and on to a coach up to the hotel. They have less than 24 hours to be on a plane. The plane has to get there first. So, it pretty much has to be taking off right now. That does not seem likely to happen.

I don't think anybody wants this, but it is by now probably too late for the squad of players to get here in time, and the EPCR will not allow the late registration of players.

MarleyWasp

« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2021, 10:09:13 AM »
I think there are regulations that prohibit sides from traveling on the morning to away games in the event that flights are grounded.

NellyWellyWaspy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2021, 10:28:02 AM »
I think there are regulations that prohibit sides from traveling on the morning to away games in the event that flights are grounded.

In which case they need to be arriving at their quarantine hotel in Ireland today, before midnight, so they could quarantine from Wednesday to the Friday (10 full inclusive days) before the game, allowing them to fly on the Saturday. Even if they took off now, that would not happen.

The 3 parties (Munster, Wasps and EPCR) must be able to figure that out also, which begs the question, why have none of them said anything, when fans will be buying tickets, making travel and hotel plans even now?

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2021, 11:18:00 AM »
The 3 parties (Munster, Wasps and EPCR) must be able to figure that out also, which begs the question, why have none of them said anything, when fans will be buying tickets, making travel and hotel plans even now?

If fans are continuing to buy tickets and make travel and hotel plans even now, then I have very limited symapthy!

I wouldn't expect Wasps to make any comment as it is entirely out of their hands.

Once Munster have everyone back in Ireland and are in a position to confirm exactly when those players and staff will be allowed out again, then they can make a submission to EPRC based on that.  Ultimately it will be EPRC's call, and as mentioned, the precedents are not particularly encouraging.  Shame, as a hybrid Munster side made up of their internationals plus academy would probably have been very entertaining to watch.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2021, 11:28:12 AM »

NellyWellyWaspy

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2021, 12:20:53 PM »

If fans are continuing to buy tickets and make travel and hotel plans even now, then I have very limited symapthy!

I wouldn't expect Wasps to make any comment as it is entirely out of their hands.

Once Munster have everyone back in Ireland and are in a position to confirm exactly when those players and staff will be allowed out again, then they can make a submission to EPRC based on that.  Ultimately it will be EPRC's call, and as mentioned, the precedents are not particularly encouraging.  Shame, as a hybrid Munster side made up of their internationals plus academy would probably have been very entertaining to watch.

Even now, no need to wait until they are back, or even on a flight, Munster already know that those players in SA will not be available. That ship has sailed.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2021, 12:58:10 PM »
I think the Irish Times suggested their (numerous) internationals didn’t travel to SA?

NellyWellyWaspy

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2021, 01:01:41 PM »
Clearly someone in Ireland is incapable of calculating days off a calendar. The flight clearly has not yet been booked. They had 'hoped' it could be today or tomorrow, but now they say 2 or 3 days. As I said before, 10 full days of quarantine means they need to be in the hotel before midnight tonight.

NellyWellyWaspy

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2021, 01:12:44 PM »
I think the Irish Times suggested their (numerous) internationals didn’t travel to SA?

Correct, but that is less than 10 players, they do not have sufficient remaining EPCR registered players to make a team.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2021, 01:14:46 PM »
from

From other reports it appears that even with them they don’t have enough registered players.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2021, 08:11:49 PM »
And surely we get the points?

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2021, 08:48:27 PM »
And surely we get the points?

Based on previous, 28-0 win with 4 match points. So Wasps potentially miss out on what was surely a try bonus there for the taking!  :D