Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Lower Level Changes (after Cardiff News)  (Read 434 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Let me tell you something cucumber

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Lower Level Changes (after Cardiff News)
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2021, 07:57:23 AM »
World Rugby: Game on Global initiative offers rule options to improve grassroots accessibility - https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-union/59476063
Let me tell you something cucumber

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
Re: Lower Level Changes (after Cardiff News)
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2021, 08:09:51 AM »
Two of those I sort of like:

Scrums: Can be reduced in size based on the number of players competing for each team. Whether scrums are contested or uncontested is also flexible.

Kicking: Tweaks to rules can include penalties and free-kicks only being kicked to touch from inside a team's own half, while all conversions being taken in front of the posts is also an option.

In particular, conversion kicks from in front of the posts. That would change how teams defend the red zone, and encourage more teams to go for the try. At most levels of the game, a kick from near the touchline will mainly not get anywhere near the posts.

Where scrums are clearly unequal (maybe after a number of times where one side has been decimated by the other), the ref and one side can take it to uncontested for safety reasons. I have seen pushover situations result in fallen players being seriously injured and being taken to hospital.