Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Dementia Article  (Read 661 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Dementia Article
« on: December 08, 2021, 01:19:42 PM »
https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/dec/08/alix-and-mel-popham-we-turned-a-tragic-situation-in-our-life-into-something-positive

This quote hits home -

"Another 10 players got diagnosed just last week,” Popham says, “some big names among them, British Lions, England internationals, this number is just going to keep on growing.”
Let me tell you something cucumber

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Dementia Article
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2021, 04:04:16 PM »
I think some of us that "only" played amateur level and as I did, played on after some quite serious head knocks, would like to know if there is any sort of threshold for injury or anything we need to have concern over.

Looking back, I used to boast that in a clash of heads, I'd just carry on whilst my tackler was laid out. It doesn't seem quite such a "proud" boast anymore.....

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2021, 04:15:36 PM »
from what has been reported so far its only the upper levels of the game, who have experienced relentless, week in week out head knocks every day in training, that seem to be affected. Grass roots players who maybe train & play once a week don't seem to be generally impacted. Although I expect further work on this to be done.

I know this is not scientific but when I go into my rugby club, I see old rugby players propping up the bar with broken fingers, ruined noses & cauliflower ears, but they all seem to have their marbles still.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2021, 04:33:29 PM »
from what has been reported so far its only the upper levels of the game, who have experienced relentless, week in week out head knocks every day in training, that seem to be affected. Grass roots players who maybe train & play once a week don't seem to be generally impacted. Although I expect further work on this to be done.

I know this is not scientific but when I go into my rugby club, I see old rugby players propping up the bar with broken fingers, ruined noses & cauliflower ears, but they all seem to have their marbles still.

No water boys, slice of orange and a fag for the full back at half time and a cold sponge for just about any injury. And no subs. Ran straight into my wing forwards elbow at a loose scrum. That would be off for an HIA today. Of course we were lighter and slower in those days.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2021, 04:37:00 PM »
I certainly hope so. My thought came because I was renown for carrying on after head knocks.....more than once leaving another player laid out whilst I carried on.....and being a rather "robust" tackler such that I laid myself out more than once.

But from the investigations I had for a medical issue (I won't share...) including head scans and the like, it was remarked that I did have "lesions" on the brain and I was asked about my contact sports history. This included rugby and mountain biking (I headbutted the odd tree and was once  knocked out, fully splitting a cycle helmet.....and quite a few impacts) and I was told that there was nothing immediately to worry about but if I suffered any other problems that they might be involved. As there wasn't anything treatable (AFAIK) it was "of interest" given what had happened. But might influence future treatments - if required.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2021, 05:09:57 PM »
I suppose the days of flattening someone then carting him off to the bar, feed him a lager and see if he spits it out for something better are long gone. True story!

Mellie

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2021, 08:27:51 PM »
I suppose the days of flattening someone then carting him off to the bar, feed him a lager and see if he spits it out for something better are long gone. True story!
I was knocked out momentarily playing for Drunken Wasps in the Fat Blokes 7s at the very end of the semi final of the Arse Trophy, which we won. As I staggered off the pitch like Bambi I told my team mates I'd be fine for the final. Very wisely they said I wasn't playing.

That didn't stop me partying though and when I woke up in the middle of the night with everything spinning I wasn't sure if it was the blow on the head or the beer. I actually had concussion.

I still remember exactly what happened before and after the incident so I don't think it's done any lasting damage.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2021, 10:09:24 PM »
I was knocked out momentarily playing for Drunken Wasps in the Fat Blokes 7s at the very end of the semi final of the Arse Trophy, which we won. As I staggered off the pitch like Bambi I told my team mates I'd be fine for the final. Very wisely they said I wasn't playing.

That didn't stop me partying though and when I woke up in the middle of the night with everything spinning I wasn't sure if it was the blow on the head or the beer. I actually had concussion.

I still remember exactly what happened before and after the incident so I don't think it's done any lasting damage.

Quite lucky then. I still buy Wasps Season Ticket's  😄😄😄

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2021, 10:27:02 PM »
I came off a Lambretta at the age of 17 and woke up as the ambulance arrived. I don't know how long I was out for - could have been 15 mins. 5 inch dent in my crash helmet. Was diagnosed with concussion about 10 days later. Ended up with the first 4 weeks off school in A level year. Have had a few brain scans over the years. Last one about 5 years ago. Nothing concerning identified but you never know what is around the corner.

Straight back into the 1st XV front row when I returned to school and then every year after that for the best part of 30 years in club rugby!