Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Wasps Rugby posted this on Twitter  (Read 5875 times)

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Wasps Rugby posted this on Twitter
« Reply #45 on: December 09, 2021, 03:55:29 PM »
I hope JTA stays. His personality adds a lot to his team-mates.

He’s a penalty machine but he’s a nice bloke?

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: December 09, 2021, 04:06:07 PM »
JTA is finally coming to terms with Premiership Scrummaging as his penalty against tally is shrinking.

Welcome Vincent, great signing in fact Wasps biggest signing since...........?

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: December 09, 2021, 04:13:49 PM »
Further article from Bobby Bridge :

Vincent Koch: Saracens fans saying same thing after shock Wasps news

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/rugby/vincent-koch-wasps-saracens-rugby-22412854
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Tervueren

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: December 09, 2021, 05:02:40 PM »
From today's Telegraph

Wasps have announced the signing of World Cup-winning prop Vincent Koch from their Gallagher Premiership rivals Saracens.

Koch, who will join Wasps for next season, has made more than 100 Saracens appearances, winning European and Premiership titles during that time.

The 31 year-old was a key member of South Africa's World Cup squad in 2019, a campaign that culminated in the Springboks beating England to lift the Webb Ellis Trophy.

Wasps head coach Lee Blackett said: "We have been looking for a world-class tighthead prop, and in Vincent we have found our man."

Koch added: "The saying goes 'a change is as good as a holiday'. Saracens have been amazing over the last couple of years, and I have had great times there that I will always treasure. But I believe it is time for a change, and a new challenge at Wasps is what I need for the next chapter of my career."

Billy Vunipola, Alex Lozowski and Elliot Daly were all whisked away to Saracens at differing stages of their careers. Each one felt like a statement in its own right and stung Wasps fans.

More recently, Sione Vailanu and then Ali Crossdale have headed the other way. Vincent Koch, the World Cup-winning South Africa tighthead and a founding member of the notorious Bomb Squad, has now followed suit in trading Saracens for Wasps.

Crossdale is a promising player, but the last of these moves feels the most significant by some distance. Indeed, it is a seminal reflection of the recruitment opportunities that will arise as teams reassess spending amid a claustrophobic reduction in the Premiership salary cap.

We know that Saracens are currently negotiating extensions with the Vunipola brothers, for instance. Last month, Daniel Schofield reported that initial terms tabled by Saracens were far lower than the siblings’ current deals. Eddie Jones and  French clubs must be among the interested parties monitoring matters.

Saracens have made clever signings at tighthead prop that will ease the loss of Koch, bringing in Alec Clarey from Jersey and Italy international Marco Riccioni. The latter started the season brilliantly before rupturing his anterior cruciate ligament against Argentina last month. Ian Peel is a fantastic forwards coach, too.

Koch leaves north London after an impactful five years. He booted the ball into touch at St James’ Park to seal the Champions Cup final triumph over Leinster in 2019. Just last weekend, his scrummaging tormented Exeter Chiefs and earned a stream of penalties. Telegraph Sport understands that Saracens were keen to keep Koch, yet could not match what was proposed to him by Wasps.

Lee Blackett’s satisfaction jumped out of the official press release, suggesting the acquisition had been a priority and that a (possibly expensive) mission had been accomplished.

“We have been looking for a world-class tighthead prop,” said Blackett. “In Vincent, we have found our man.”

For his own part, Koch has expressed his desire to sign off with one more trophy. Saracens lie second in the Premiership without having quite hit their best. They have come the closest to toppling Leicester Tigers and are sure to be in the play-off shake-up - not least because they do not have a Champions Cup to concern them.

Although he will turn 32 before relocating to the West Midlands, and will head back and forth from Springboks commitments in the second half of next year, Koch will add value at Wasps.

Should Blackett’s injury catalogue finally ease, there is scope to assemble a mightily talented pack next season. Tom West and Robin Hislop, two of Wasps’ loosehead props, are in the thoughts of England and Scotland selectors, respectively. Dan Frost has been a revelation at hooker with Gabriel Oghre bound to improve. Whether or not Jeffrey Toomaga-Allen stays, Koch bolsters those front-row options.

A lock pairing of Elliott Stooke and Joe Launchbury would likely slide Vaea Fifita to his preferred position of blindside flanker. Among some fine back-rowers, with Thomas Young returning to Wales, are both Willis brothers, Alfie Barbeary, Nizaam Carr and Brad Shields.

A lower salary-cap ceiling is causing headaches around the country among backroom figures juggling budgets. But, with moves like Koch’s, it could lead to an absorbing - and open - Premiership title race next year.

Perhaps more than any other club boss, Blackett knows how availability issues can decimate a squad that looks far healthier on paper. Wasps, ravaged by injuries since their entertaining run to the Premiership final in 2020, finished eighth last season and are currently languishing in ninth.

Capturing the signature of Koch will at least convince supporters that they are looking up, rather than down.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: December 09, 2021, 05:38:16 PM »
Thanks for posting. Interesting read.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: December 09, 2021, 06:10:44 PM »
Thanks - a bit broader look at the situation.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: December 09, 2021, 07:51:28 PM »
The article is spot on. With our back row options and the way the locks and Frost have gone our pack could be a huge asset next year. Blackett said some time ago he would focus on the pack. He continues to deliver on that.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: December 09, 2021, 07:51:38 PM »
If the Squad can be got fit and kept fit  ......  it will be a team to dream about.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: December 09, 2021, 07:59:40 PM »
And if we retain them all…………

hopwood

« Reply #54 on: December 09, 2021, 08:18:28 PM »
What a huge lift that will give the squad.
It’s a great statement…and will just add that notch of intensity to training.

Fabulous news.

Rugbyintheblood

• Wasps Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: December 09, 2021, 09:34:47 PM »
Well I already had an extra spring in my step since hearing we’d signed Rodrigo and I can’t wait to see him in action against Munster the weekend. I’ll be there!

But this news … well he’s without question one of the best players in World Rugby isn’t he? A better role model for our young forwards I can’t imagine.

Vinnie if you were looking to transform a teams results, you really couldn’t have made  a better choice, this 🐝 pack is building very nicely.

Great to have you on board.

Well done to Lee and the team who negotiated this. COYW 🐝

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 09, 2021, 10:00:45 PM »
Well I already had an extra spring in my step since hearing we’d signed Rodrigo and I can’t wait to see him in action against Munster the weekend. I’ll be there!

But this news … well he’s without question one of the best players in World Rugby isn’t he? A better role model for our young forwards I can’t imagine.

Vinnie if you were looking to transform a teams results, you really couldn’t have made  a better choice, this 🐝 pack is building very nicely.

Great to have you on board.

Well done to Lee and the team who negotiated this. COYW 🐝

+1

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: December 09, 2021, 10:11:47 PM »
And another plus one.

Andywasp50

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: December 10, 2021, 12:03:42 AM »
Most of the nasty attitude is wolf pack team culture not an individual's character. Max Malins, Ben Earl and Nick Isiekwe all seemed to lose the attitude when they went on loan and regained it when they rejoined the cess pit.

Ive really noticed this too - Ben Earl in particular.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: December 10, 2021, 04:34:58 AM »
The article is spot on. With our back row options and the way the locks and Frost have gone our pack could be a huge asset next year. Blackett said some time ago he would focus on the pack. He continues to deliver on that.

Are our backs now suffering a little as a result though?