Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Wasps v Munster: Post match thoughts.  (Read 3811 times)

Wombles

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Wasps v Munster: Post match thoughts.
« on: December 12, 2021, 05:13:44 PM »
Fast, Loose, but good fun.

Injuries and Covid decide the outcome.

Luck not with us.

Well done to those left standing today, they really gave a good account of themselves. Full of energy and desire and I am proud they kept plugging away. But our own covid outbreak scuppered any chance of a result today, and the red card simply solidified it. Let’s hope Ogre and Nizzam are ok, it is so horribly depressing that the injuries just keep coming.

I am going to keep this short. Before the tournament started I was convinced we needed to just get through the fixtures and get out as quickly as possible. We simply have too many injuries, and can only fight on one front this season. We need to get the players back and focus on top 6. Everything else is unimportant now.

Chris

Once a Wasp ALWAYS a Wasp! 

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Wasps v Munster: Post match thoughts.
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2021, 05:23:45 PM »
Sadly have to agree, don’t bother in Europe just keep our first team players wrapped up and look forward to trying to get a top 6 position

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2021, 05:25:06 PM »
Mine is that you put this thought together before the match started.

Poite to ensure we lost, but we were architects of our own demise, neither injuries or covid had a hand in some of the play on display today.
They gave everything, no complaints there, but he sum of everything isn't near where it needs to be.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2021, 05:27:08 PM »
All feels a bit pointless at the moment. Not sure how we're going to be able to turn it around when we are losing players faster than they recover.

This season is going to go down in memory as one of the worst ever.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2021, 05:32:34 PM »
I haven't been so disappointed at a loss for some time and I can't really figure out why. I think its because I'm disappointed for the players, being thrown in to a game like that in that way and then so many things going wrong. They all worked so hard, they deserved better from the ref.

Lots of thoughts, in no particular order:

I don't like blaming refs but he did seem to be inconsistent with turnovers. The biggest issue I have with him is he let them get away without rolling away early on, so they just kept slowing down our ball.

Wolstenholme continues to impress, apart from a sloppy kick that got charged down he looked sharp and is clearly learning a lot from Dobby.

Of all the people wanting to play centre, how about Thomas Young*? Great turn of speed, good tackler etc. Josh isn't a 13, but he held his own for most of the game.

Booj got some stick in the match thread. I've said before every squad needs players like him, never meant to be a starter, except maybe in rugby cup, he's there as backup. If we get rid of him we need someone else to fill that role. For me he does it well.

I thought Zack put a great shift in in the first half, I don't remember the last time he looked so up for it.

In the front row Frost is a dynamo, what a find. Good to see West back, hard to tell if he made the difference but still great to see him back. JTA continues his improvement both at the srum and in open play. The others didn't disappoint.

That's a game to forget, like a golfer with a bad shot, you can't do anything about it just think about what's next.

I'm almost hoping we get a big Covid hit and have to concede next week.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2021, 05:41:29 PM »
I agree with BND - rarely been so disappointed - perhaps the card, the commentary that thought the reffing was funny at the breakdown and that it was as if we'd had our full side out vs poor 'ickle Munster who could only get so many internationals onto the pitch.

I have a thing about the breakdown officiating - if it's rotten like today, it's not only unfair, but damn dangerous. There is no contest in ruck with hands.....but you'd have never known it today. And offside and fwd passes are not only fairly easy for the assistants and TMO to spot, pinging them opens up space and stops errors like that "try"

It's like we've done something really bad as a club and pay back is nil luck/fortune. I mean what team with 18 absent gets Covid'd hours before kick off such that if you were standing you got a game?

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2021, 05:52:13 PM »
the commentary that thought the reffing was funny at the breakdown and that it was as if we'd had our full side out vs poor 'ickle Munster who could only get so many internationals onto the pitch.

That definitely didn't improve my mood or viewing experience.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2021, 05:54:09 PM »
Never feel it’s right betting against your team but think the bookies had this wrong from the start and should have taken that bet!

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2021, 05:57:52 PM »
Never feel it’s right betting against your team but think the bookies had this wrong from the start and should have taken that bet!

Mentioned in another thread 3/1 was too big to ignore especislly after late changes and I didn't ignore it!

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2021, 06:13:30 PM »
Watching wasps at the moment is becoming more and more difficult. Today really got to me and the commentary made it worst.

A few players were outstanding today and for me Dan Frost is an absolutely awesome find, like him a lot. I’m sorry but a couple of players just don’t show the same effort which does get to me.

Can we please have a better year in 2022

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2021, 06:25:34 PM »
OT but as refereeing is subject of discussion on this thread ...

One of the reasons I don't like to criticise referees is they've passed all the exams, received all their instructions about how the laws should be interpreted and applied and receive feedback. However there's one aspect I'll always feel free to criticise ....

In the Quins match the ref has just allowed one of the Castres players to get away with a lot of backchat, despite strong warnings. That's unacceptable and not only should the penalty have been reversed, a yellow card wouldn't have gone amiss. For the benefit of referees at all levels that sort of player behaviour cannot be allowed to go unpunished.

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2021, 06:26:13 PM »
Munster had great support from their travelling fans. To travel in those numbers when their squad was so depleted was great to see. They really lifted the atmosphere.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2021, 07:21:50 PM »
Munster had great support from their travelling fans. To travel in those numbers when their squad was so depleted was great to see. They really lifted the atmosphere.

It certainly did and boosted the stadium coffers considerably.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2021, 07:27:17 PM »
All feels a bit pointless at the moment. Not sure how we're going to be able to turn it around when we are losing players faster than they recover.

The worst ever was 2011/12 when we very narrowly avoided relegation!

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2021, 07:30:37 PM »

The worst ever was 2011/12 when we very narrowly avoided relegation!

I'm not sure this is better in all honesty.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here