Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Every 10 years  (Read 1231 times)

hopwood

Every 10 years
« on: December 13, 2021, 05:58:00 PM »
Thinking of bad seasons, it seems that every 10 years Wasps have a brain-fart of a season, where they implode slightly, or somebody's kicked the cat accidentally.

(There's been a couple in-between too  ;))

1991/192 - Wasps have their worst season for a while

2001/2002 - I remember this season. Mark Denney as captain. Painful to watch the side that year. Many disgruntled fans. That was Shaun Edwards' first season. Having previously coached Ireland, Gatland joined in 2002 after the conclusion to the season.

2011/2012 - Who can forget the drama of this season! Ouch. Brutal viewing, delayed wages for the players, desperately trying to find a new owner...and then staring relegation down the barrel. Not friendly viewing, but filled the pages of the Drunken Wasps site.

2021/2022 - Never known a season like it in regards to injuries, bad fortune, external factors (covid) and some rather tough refereeing decisions at times. The squad has been decimated. No two ways about it. But you do get the feeling that once this coaching team bed in (like Shaun Edwards did in 2001/2002) and the opportunities the younger/academy players are getting to play meaningful rugby, that once Wasps turn the injury corner, there's a very bright future ahead. This may just have to be one season where the faithful remain faithful and we just bite our lips at time. It's not like the heart and effort isn't on display. We simply lack the experience and top quality to see some of these games out.

There are huge changes to the salary cap this season and for a few years ahead.
That means less marquee players, losing some top talent from the Premiership to Ireland and France, and a far larger reliance on rugby clubs' Academies.
It could turn out to be a brutal season for us fans, but potentially the breading ground and spring board to very exciting 22-23 and 23-24 seasons.

The conundrum that needs solving, is how to get both the crowd and atmosphere back into the Ricoh when so many top players are missing. That, in itself, may take a season too.

Ever the optimist, let's just say I prefer to be a Wasps fan, that say a Bath fan. I believe the foundations for future success are there.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Re: Every 10 years
« Reply #1 on: December 13, 2021, 06:27:04 PM »

The conundrum that needs solving, is how to get both the crowd and atmosphere back into the Ricoh when so many top players are missing. That, in itself, may take a season too.

The Ricoh??? Is no more, hopwood.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 13, 2021, 07:08:40 PM »
It’s entirely possible a good few are still staying away for safety reasons or because they don’t want to mix in crowds. Success will bring more back of course. I also think the fan village used to be a big family pull. You have to feel sorry for the club. They’ve assembled a fantastic squad that I believe equals most others. For one reason or another they just can’t get them on the field.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2021, 09:21:40 PM »
Because of my age and infirmities, I doubt if I would attend a live event now.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2021, 10:13:13 PM »
Know how you feel but at least we can see them on TV now, which wasn't always the case. I really really want to see the next couple of years at least to see how they get on once they are all fit (as they will be)  and playing to their potential (as they will).  And we  - you and I  -  will watch  and cheer and love it.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2021, 11:32:45 PM »
With Covid I would no longer feel at ease at live events. I am sure that I am not alone.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2021, 08:40:08 AM »
With Covid I would no longer feel at ease at live events. I am sure that I am not alone.

Same, and as I am on the at risk register (as are, I suspect many other rugby fans) ...

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2021, 09:31:25 AM »
You are not alone; youngsters felt the same,  eg our daughter who was very uneasy at the lack of masking "indoors".

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2021, 10:05:54 AM »

I'm actually OK with something like the CBSA and would welcome covid passport checking. I have even started to go to a small number of gigs that use passports. Feel safer that way. However went into London to meet one of my oldest friends with Parkinsons and totally staggered by lack of masks on trains and tubes. Some not wearing masks on train but putting them in for the station in case police were around. On that got to Embankment tube and four BTP officers and no admonishments given plus one had his mask below the nose.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Skippy

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2021, 10:56:06 AM »
Given current attendance, having a fully socially distanced crowd should be possible at the CBSA.

Went a couple of weeks ago to the Glozzer game. Was in a box, so didn’t feel as exposed as if I’d been in the crowd. Not sure how I’d have felt about a regular seat. Think I’d have been put off by all the unmasked mingle under the stands and in the jacks.

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2021, 12:36:38 PM »
I wouldn't worry too much about losing players to France and Ireland, Ireland tend to recruit from the Southern Hemisphere and there would be very few England qualified players who would be tempted to France knowing they would be forfeiting their England International aspirations.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2021, 01:49:31 PM »

Same, and as I am on the at risk register (as are, I suspect many other rugby fans) ...

+1. Not prepared to risk it at present