Always a Wasp

Author Topic: An enjoyable game  (Read 2949 times)

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
An enjoyable game
« on: March 26, 2018, 10:15:03 AM »
Disappointed, but managed to enjoy the game. It feels like we are about where we deserve to be and I feel this game has finally adjusted my expectations for the season a little. Just too much bad luck this season I feel. We could still make the semis but it's looking a tall order and progressing to the final would be wonderful, but we are going to need some luck with injuries to fall our way between now and then to have a chance against Sarries or Exeter.

I am worried about Cipps, I don't think he has recovered fully and was only playing because of worse injuries elsewhere, he wasn't running as much as usual especially towards the end. Seemed to be being protected by the other players.

Also, really enjoyed seeing Wade almost single handedly repel the Leicester maul, must be one for his scrap book!
« Last Edit: March 26, 2018, 10:20:03 AM by Brandnewtorugby »

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
Re: An enjoyable game
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2018, 10:35:01 AM »
It was what I had hoped for; a good game to watch.

We mullered a lot of opportunities. That's life. Our backs line seemed quite hesitant, more so when Daly went off and Cips and Robson got some hard knocks and needed treatment.

Have we got ANY players spare and available for numbers 10 - 15? I don't think so. Injury situation is now dire.

League #1 and 2 now seem certain to go to Sarries and Exeter. It has been the season of making it difficult for ourselves. We really seem to miss Beale, and nothing incoming is going to put that spark into our back line.

Daly seems to have settled in to the wing position, but has played so few games for Wasps that he is little better than a guest player this year. I can see next year as Simpson's last year with us, so if Hampson wants that shirt, he had better step up and fast. I am hoping Sopoaga will provide some leadership in the backs, because yesterday's game they didn't seem to have it. I get why Launch is the captain, and in the pack I guess his leadership works (but the Tigers pack were easily better than ours yesterday), but we really need a solid leader in the backs.

I wonder how long Jimmy will wear that 12 shirt, as he takes on more training roles - I think that is where he will end up after next year. Which must mean that Dai is hoping the spring/summer trip to NZ for Umaga will prep him to step up. He certainly played very well when I last saw him a few weeks ago. We really need Lovobalavu to be fit (and not banned) for far more games.

A big shout out to the really nice Tigers fans I met, and the really helpful ground staff. A really nice atmosphere.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2018, 11:03:55 AM »
I watched the game and found myself becoming increasingly frustrated as it went on. I don't want to discredit Tiger's tenacious defence and team spirit but I felt we beat ourselves. We left so many points out there which would have gone in on another day. Injuries played a part and Tigers had their fair share. Having read the report in the Coventry Telegraph, Dobby had a knock to the knee which may explain Tait's superb try saving tackle.
We were one try away from putting the game to bed but it just would not come. Genge made a real impact when he came on and Marty Moore could not match him. 3 penalties to nil in the second half, sounds dull but it wasn't.

I think Pearce bottled the decision on Malouf, really should have been red. Is it fair to want a player cited?
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2018, 12:01:20 PM »
Great game to watch.  Agree Malouf was lucky not to see red, and perhaps will be cited, but equally I'm not sure if I want that to be a red.

Our injuries stretched us too far, we have great depth, but having to play our 3rd choice (maybe not so clear cut now though) hooker for the full 80 was a problem.  We blew some chances, but then so did tigers.

Top 2 isn't out of reach by any means, but it's definitely tougher, and obviously out of our hands as such.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2018, 02:45:38 PM »
If one of our boys had done what Malouf did and was then sent off, I wouldn't have complained.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 26, 2018, 02:57:14 PM »
I watched the game and found myself becoming increasingly frustrated as it went on. I don't want to discredit Tiger's tenacious defence and team spirit but I felt we beat ourselves. We left so many points out there which would have gone in on another day. Injuries played a part and Tigers had their fair share. Having read the report in the Coventry Telegraph, Dobby had a knock to the knee which may explain Tait's superb try saving tackle.
We were one try away from putting the game to bed but it just would not come. Genge made a real impact when he came on and Marty Moore could not match him. 3 penalties to nil in the second half, sounds dull but it wasn't.

I think Pearce bottled the decision on Malouf, really should have been red. Is it fair to want a player cited?

I really felt the same, we managed to beat ourselves - with the hesitation in attack when it seemed just easier to keep running rather than get tackled down. I'd have expected at least two more tries from those breaks, I think another couple of weeks off will be a bonus, hopefully we can get over some injuries too. No easy games on the run in

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2018, 03:14:38 PM »
Both Jamma and Elliot's injuries sound nasty as Dai said in this Coventry Telegraph article:

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/rugby/leicester-tigers-wasps-dai-young-14447966

In fact I don't think you could get a more serious finger dislocation than that :(
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

petros

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2018, 05:04:45 PM »
I suspect that Maloouf will be cited, and I agree that a red card at the time might have been the outcome.

If BT were right that Veanu picked up his 3rd yellow of the season then he will also be in front of the beak, probably collecting a 1 match ban.

It was gutting how we failed to capitalise on so many good chances, but Tigers also did so and Genge was the catalyst they needed. He also wrecked a lineout when he was first on in addition to stuffing Marty Moore