Always a Wasp

Author Topic: This pair is on fire!  (Read 3843 times)

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: This pair is on fire!
« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2021, 08:11:05 PM »
Those two have been great. Also, West coming back has made a huge difference at scrum time.

100% agree, our scrum was pretty weak and West has improved it greatly. It will only get better and could be a decent weapon for us
« Last Edit: December 28, 2021, 08:13:22 PM by Westy68 »

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2021, 10:29:57 PM »
I also think that Alo is no mug at TH.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2021, 12:10:58 AM »
At every game since I think Jamma has changed his scrum cap at half time.

This is correct, not sure anyone got to the bottom of this in the end - perhaps became superstition.
As a side note, it’s again testament to the signings and level of play so far from Stooke and Fifita as well as Cardall and de Chaves (who’s probably off very soon if not already with the US league starting soon) that we’ve hardly mentioned Gaskell being out

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2021, 09:04:09 AM »
,Briefly returning to Frosty and Alfie it is to be hoped Eddie keeps his sticky paws off them,.  and off several others of  our  young players.  I know all players want to be internationals and also it makes for better salaries etc  but he doesn't half seem to muck them about.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2021, 09:19:45 AM »
,Briefly returning to Frosty and Alfie it is to be hoped Eddie keeps his sticky paws off them,.  and off several others of  our  young players.  I know all players want to be internationals and also it makes for better salaries etc  but he doesn't half seem to muck them about.

+1
Let me tell you something cucumber

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 29, 2021, 09:56:39 AM »
Indeed so. Alfie will be involved sooner or later. Frost at the minute is a bit off I think but then again no-one is immune from the invitation to attend a training session or three where they get told “what they need to work on” whilst depriving them of on the pitch experience with their club.

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 29, 2021, 09:59:01 AM »
Very much agree. A lot of thus bringing young players in really young and not playing them can be counter productive.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 29, 2021, 10:24:58 AM »
Very much agree. A lot of thus bringing young players in really young and not playing them can be counter productive.

Most of them, and their coaches, tend to say that they've come back with a far better idea of what's needed, and know what they're going for. Umaga had some of his best games ever for us after his first sessions with England.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 29, 2021, 10:29:09 AM »

Most of them, and their coaches, tend to say that they've come back with a far better idea of what's needed, and know what they're going for. Umaga had some of his best games ever for us after his first sessions with England.
I said it at the time and still think it: There’s a lot to be said for young players spending a bit of time with England just to see what’s happening, but it only works once. The next time should only be if they are in real contention to play.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 29, 2021, 10:47:34 AM »
Plus 1

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 29, 2021, 11:07:29 AM »

I said it at the time and still think it: There’s a lot to be said for young players spending a bit of time with England just to see what’s happening, but it only works once. The next time should only be if they are in real contention to play.

I wouldn't want to guess myself. Different environment and coaches can be beneficial even repeatedly I believe. It's frustrating for the supporters, but quite simply, our opinions don't really count.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 29, 2021, 11:59:52 AM »
Certainly training with England can be beneficial...IF....the nature of the individual and the way England want to play suit that  t individual and the way their club have been focusing upon.

Jacob certainly seemed to benefit in the short term - though as for any player, I'd expect that a change of approach/removal of staleness can be a benefit. But players like Ollie Lawrence have been set back as he didn't fit with the "Jones way"  - and that's an opinion seemingly shared on their club forums. Ditto when Yarde went to a training camp a while back. And you'd probably be able to argue that Daly was hindered by playing for England - let alone training with them, let alone what happened to Devoto in a squad lacking 12's....

You are likely to pick up tips etc from the players you are with - but I'd need to be convinced that a club with the coaches that we have - including two of the recent England team - would not be able to set out what players need to do to improve.

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 29, 2021, 12:33:14 PM »
 .....  and does anyone know why the two recent England coaches chose to leave the England regime and go elsewhere , ie Wasps?  Just a genuine question.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 29, 2021, 12:50:32 PM »
.....  and does anyone know why the two recent England coaches chose to leave the England regime and go elsewhere , ie Wasps?  Just a genuine question.

Mitchell was quoted  - John Mitchell said he left his role as England defence coach because he wanted to return to club rugby and due to the difficulties of working under COVID-19 restrictions, not because of a fall out with head coach Eddie Jones.

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/rugby/john-mitchell-england-wasps-rugby-22404167

As for Ed - no idea.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 29, 2021, 12:52:44 PM »
A HR training question.

'What does an external observer conclude when staff under a specific senior manager leave at a rate faster than is the norm for that sector/industry?'

The answer is 'That the senior manager is generally found to be an unpleasant person to report to/work for. That does not mean that the senior manager is not effective, but it does mean that continued support of that manager by their supervisors/employers will result in continued high staff turnover, which could impact negatively on the public perception of the organisation. Where training or other intervention to improve the situation is deemed unlikely to succeed, the supervising employer should seek alternative personnel to fulfil that role.'

The failure of so many organisations to follow this basic advice is indicative of a lack of professionalism at the highest levels of those organisations. In turn, one could conclude that continued poor management would eventually lead to crisis for the organisation itself, often commercial failure.

One has only to look at some British industries that have failed to see how true this is and was. Such as the car industry.

The problem is not Eddie. He is merely a symptom. At some point, his employers will have made such a poor job of running things that the organisation will fail. It has been coming for years.