Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Anthony Watson off from Bath, but where?  (Read 5528 times)

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Anthony Watson off from Bath, but where?
« Reply #30 on: January 04, 2022, 12:56:39 PM »
Heart says: yes please! Absolutely quality player!

But,

Head says: is he injured too often?

It might be that he has had his run of bad luck & a change of team may change his injury status?
Bit of a gamble though, especially given the current wasps injury curse!

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 04, 2022, 01:12:38 PM »
Agree, just don’t see this as value for money at all.
We have just invested in Crossdale at FB who will get better and better and needs to play and investing that much for a winger just doesn’t seem worth it to me.
I’d put all that money into an Estherhuizen equivalent (if there is one) at 12

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 04, 2022, 01:57:16 PM »
Source (inverted comma’s) was ruck. Main reason from seemed to be because we’d got rid of Fekitoa which added to the doubt. I’m not a big fan to be honest and as has been said above I don’t think it would be a good move for us for any number of reasons.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 04, 2022, 02:36:50 PM »
Excellent player, but as others have said, unlikely to offer particularly good VFM in terms of number of games he'd be likely to play per season.

Turning the tables to see it from AW's point of view, and it possibly looks even more far fetched.   "I've had a pretty rotten run with injuries of late, maybe a change of scenery will bring about a change of fortune on the injury front, but where...?"

Beasties

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 04, 2022, 03:48:51 PM »
Agree, just don’t see this as value for money at all.
We have just invested in Crossdale at FB who will get better and better and needs to play and investing that much for a winger just doesn’t seem worth it to me.
I’d put all that money into an Estherhuizen equivalent (if there is one) at 12
A flippin men to all of this. Crossdale looks like he could turn into proper quality if given a decent chance. I’ve never quite got the adulation for Watson but then I’m in the minority. Also Estherhuizen is a huge part of why Quins have become such a good team. I really liked Wasps backs when we had Siale Piutau, it’s what we’ve sorely missed since he left.

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 04, 2022, 03:51:29 PM »
I really liked Wasps backs when we had Siale Piutau, it’s what we’ve sorely missed since he left

Bristol might be thinking the same!

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 04, 2022, 04:07:48 PM »
What’s he up to now?

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 04, 2022, 04:14:20 PM »
Let me tell you something cucumber

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Let me tell you something cucumber

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2022, 04:14:26 PM »
Lee's Comments-

https://www.rugbypass.com/news/wasps-respond-to-rumour-they-are-favourites-to-sign-anthony-watson-lee-blackett/

Extract from the article.

It was reported that Wasps had been in touch with Watson’s representatives and the hope was that a contract offer would be made at the end of this week.

This allegation, though, was news to Wasps boss Blackett who dismissed the rumour when questioned about Watson on Thursday at his media briefing before this Sunday’s match versus Leicester. “I have not spoken to Anthony Watson,” replied Blackett when quizzed about the speculation that Wasps were poised to sign the England international.

Has he spoken to anyone at the club? “If he was coming to the club he would have spoken to me,” added Blackett, who then muddied the waters with a mischievous follow-up quip. “It doesn’t mean we won’t, does it?”

Following that remark, it was suggested that Marcus Watson could act as the go-between. “Well, there you go, Marcus has spoken to him,” quipped Blackett with a smile to end the discussion about the coveted Bath player. 

Oooooh that Lee Blackett is a right tease :) :) :)
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2022, 04:20:24 PM »
"Has he spoken to anyone at the club?" is a bit of a daft question given that his brother is at the club!

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2022, 04:22:34 PM »
didn't realise he was only 28, that means he could easily get over his injury issues & be a decent signing.
Jonny Wilkinson went to Toulon at what 30? And was a different player injury wise with move to a different environment

If he had a clean medical & subject to his wage demands I would be interested if I was Lee Blackett

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2022, 04:59:05 PM »
Interesting bait 'n' switch. The club was accused of talking to his representatives but Lee denied talking to him.

hopwood

« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2022, 06:27:10 PM »
If he had a clean medical & subject to his wage demands I would be interested if I was Lee Blackett

Surely for that to be the case, you would be showing the door to one brother, whilst opening the door to the other?

A bit brutal.

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2022, 11:46:25 AM »
Why would you not sign A Watson? Realistically his England days are probably behind him given the emergence of Malins, Steward, Radwan and others, with May also lurking. He is undeniable quality, and his injury record isn't that bad, especially in comparison to 75% of our squad.

If Minozzi was moving on, then it would be a smart bit of business to bring Watson in. Versatile to play 15, but could start on the wing with Crossdale continuing at 15.

Fekitoa doesn't seem to be having the best luck with suitors. I wonder if a lower offer will be made for him to stay?

Saw further up the thread that Collins might be leaving Saints? He would be worth making an offer to. Premiership quality, experienced, versatile, available season-round.