Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Sale Sharks v Wasps: Post match thoughts.  (Read 3987 times)

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
Re: Sale Sharks v Wasps: Post match thoughts.
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2022, 05:38:48 PM »
On points 2, 3, 5 and the second 6 ...

I have been saying this for years. There is no one truly in charge playing heads up rugby on the field. Cips used to do that, as did Kurtley Beale. I have seen no evidence of it from anyone in the squad, injured or not. The MOM today, MacGinty was just that. High IQ rugby.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 01, 2022, 05:40:10 PM »
To be honest, NWW - Sale didn't really play that well....it was average IQ rugby, but that was, just, enough

bigad82

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 01, 2022, 05:46:29 PM »
I think we need to start playing the referee so much better.

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 01, 2022, 05:51:10 PM »
I beginning think that Tempest and Smales = GG and JPD.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 01, 2022, 05:53:40 PM »

I think you have to add Hodnett to Tempest and Smales on today's showing.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Andywasp50

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 01, 2022, 06:02:22 PM »
We were outmuscled, lost all the collisions, failed to show any nous in game management and got done by the officials.

Booj was simply awful and never gave Gopps any kind of supporting lines, leaving him to get hit or closed down. Jimmy did look like age was catching up with him though. the moment in the first half when booj was standing way too deep when Jimmy passed to him, and despite a four man overlap decided to step in, got hit and threw the ball back only to hit one of our players on the head summed his performance up to be honest. We really struggled to get going across 9, 10 & 12.

Tempest and the officials were a lottery. I don’t understand why Yarde’s try wasn’t checked, the Curry try was an absolute farce, as was Sale’s third - it came from a penalty awarded to them even though West had clear as day won the ball, was standing up with it in both hands whilst the Sale player on the ground was hanging on with his arm. Tempest shouted ‘let go!’ And then West was taken out off the ball by a player coming round the side of the ruck. All very obvious for prem officials (although Smales was one of them).

Doesn’t excuse not turning up though. Wolstenholme was unpredictable and offered no control so Hougaard should surely be playing 9? Sam’s passing is much quicker than Porter though.

It’s pretty exasperating to watch us do one good thing and undo it by following up with a bad thing, but that seems the trend at the moment. All round shabby and we aren’t really worthy of top six so far this season.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 01, 2022, 06:14:04 PM »

I think you have to add Hodnett to Tempest and Smales on today's showing.
Hodnett was surely still pissed..a couple of her calls were laughable.

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 01, 2022, 06:28:12 PM »
It’s why I always have a problem with MLB, the lines he runs are really poor and he hardly ever shows he wants the ball.

He jumps out of the defensive line and then tackles poorly. We can’t get the ball out wide enough because of those reasons. 

We need a decent 12 and a good backup next season. It’s not all about Booj as 9 is also a problem which is why I don’t understand why the 9 that should be playing was on the wing. Really poor decision making by lee

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 01, 2022, 06:48:27 PM »
It’s a problem we’ve had for probably 3 seasons now. 12. Le Bourgeois is a good squad player. Gopperth is a fantastic 12 who is actually better this year than last but can’t go on forever. If Jimmy isn’t there we look disjointed. Sometimes we get away with it if Dan plays. Those who dictate play to a large degree 9, 10 and 12 just kept leading us up the same path today. I get the impression Porter and Wolstenholme are struggling so badly to do the basics that there’s no room for them to consider variation. Maybe time for Hougaard to play 9 again now that he’s got game time under his belt.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2022, 07:32:46 PM »
Maybe time for Hougaard to play 9 again now that he’s got game time under his belt.

He may as well, we aren't getting the ball out wide enough with any speed to allow him to shine there, as the stat above about Josh shows. We need at least one of our wingers to play an Ashton/Knowle role and go hunting for the ball to help out 9, 10, 12.

I think Wolstenholme has the makings but was poor today. Porter's had some good game time but I'm becoming disappointed with him, not living up to his promise. Maybe a run of wins will help him build some confidence but I don't see that in sight either.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2022, 07:36:57 PM »
I heard commentary say Atkinson came on at 12, is that correct? Or did Gopperth shift to 12 with Atkinson at 10?

hopwood

« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2022, 07:45:30 PM »
Covid40.
Hello fella. Hats off to you for making the journey north.
I hope you managed to get to the game on time.
And enjoy the experience. 
Every team needs hard-core fans like yourself.

In previous weeks, you’ve been quite scathing about certain individuals, as well as team performances.

In my eyes, I saw a Wasps team who were out on their feet. Exhausted.
Stooke could hardly stand by the end. Goppeth slow in body and mind. Frost mentally shot.

The players, because of lack of rotation, looked like they were playing their third game in a week.
These are talented guys…busting a nut to try and be international quality, because that’s what it takes to win these days.
But they looked like they were simply hanging in there.

And let’s be honest, players like Miller or Atkinson aren’t really any better than what’s already in the squad.

Covid40….what are your thoughts, having been there today?
Personally, I don’t believe this is a fault of poor coaching.
And I don’t think it’s a result of poor selection.
Nor, even of player effort.

Personally, I simply believe we’ve had a catastrophic range of injuries, especially to key players, meaning lack of rotation, lack of rest time….and a complete mix and muddle of combinations.

It’s FUBAR.

So I appropriation no blame.
I don’t want to judge neither players nor coaching staff.
I’ll reserve all judgment until mid February, when 15-18 main players are back, not only on the pitch, but to add wisdom and creativity in training.
How on earth can you run key moves with only a few players on the training paddock??
There’s not enough players to provide competitive opposition!!

Covid40, as a big fan, I just wanted to get your perspective…and whether your thoughts and beliefs had changed this afternoon, despite the uncomfortable result.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2022, 08:40:53 PM »
Who is this Covid40 of whom you speak?
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2022, 08:46:53 PM »

Hopwood been on the hops?
Let me tell you something cucumber

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2022, 08:47:18 PM »

The corona of Christmas future?

I’m sure it’s covkid with predictive text thrown in