Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Injury narrative.  (Read 2854 times)

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Injury narrative.
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2022, 03:00:21 PM »
Agreed. I also think we’ve missed some sensible rotation opportunities though. Cardall at lock is underplayed for me. Carr, who can play anywhere in the back row started for the first time yesterday (acknowledging he’d come off a full SA season). Millar-Mills could have given JTA a couple of games off. I wouldn’t be looking at any coaching changes at all yet. Far too early and far too many adverse circumstances.

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 05, 2022, 12:29:38 PM »
Change is required - but the key one for me at least - won't until we have the ability to rotate players and "use the bench" rather than hope we don't have to....

Examples - up front, Stooke has started 9 of 10 Prem (the stats don't include a R1)  games and played all game in 8, Fifita has started 10 of 10 Prem games

Looking at Exeter - they've started 6 different SR's just in Prem games.... we've started the same two players, 9 times.....

Brad is similar at 6, starting 10 games, Tom W started 8, both playing nearly all the games that they start, Tom Y, has started a lot, and has nearly 600mins played this season (that's high end for forwards)

Jimmy has played a load of minutes too (over 600) and been involved in 10 Prem games aged 38.....

We had to borrow players to make a 23 vs Munster.

So - I do think we've had to play too many players too often and for too many minutes a game. This has been a key feature up front - whereas in the backs (where more minutes are more common around the Prem - not a surprise... compared to playing hooker.....) we've rarely had the same combinations and have played too often with players out of position/third choice players.

However good or bad we are on the coaching front - there's only so much you can do when you're not able to rotate nor play a myriad of first choices who would take pressure off those who are not "first" choices. And not actually having a fit or not near retirement 12 this season, probably hasn't helped.....

Like others - I'll hold judgement until we get to see some of those key players back and match fit.

It's difficult, as you can't say the team looks disjointed and then call out players being overplayed. Combos need time to bed in. SR and back row have been areas of strength this year because we have had consistency. Though Fifita hasn't played every game, he didn't play against Sarries (and Stooke came off the bench).

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2022, 09:27:36 PM »
Well - ok, I don't think I quite said/meant that. My position, perhaps badly explained is this. I think you can suggest some players are over played and others haven't played together/are nowhere near first choices and on top of that - the teams selected have had fewer than is ideal opportunities to train against squad members. Mainly due to injury.

Our SR's have still played too many games and too many minutes for anyone to be so surprised that they are a little knackered? We have done fine in the backrow. But again, too many games for Brad and Tom and again made worse by too often being in a team on the back foot.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 06, 2022, 02:07:15 PM »
Any chance we could get this guy back on loan to help out with the crises at centre?

https://twitter.com/waspsrugby/status/1479014883823861761?s=21

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 06, 2022, 02:10:15 PM »
Any chance we could get this guy back on loan to help out with the crises at centre?

None.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2022, 01:54:03 AM »

None.

Plus he’s been out long term injured too

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2022, 10:33:40 AM »
Plus he’s been out long term injured too

Should fit right in then !

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan