Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Four Wasps in England U20 Squad  (Read 2334 times)

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Four Wasps in England U20 Squad
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2022, 02:01:33 PM »
This is crying out for a "Famous fathers" team to be put together, but there doesnt seem to be as many forwards with famous dads though?
Wonder why that is?

Mellie

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2022, 03:30:32 PM »
Just saw that Lucas Brooke is Zinzan Brooke’s son. Knew he was at Irish but didn’t realise he was this far in his development.

With another Grayson in this squad, the likes of of Lynagh, sleightholme, de glanville, on the verge of international rugby and our U18s with a Logan coming up I’m feeling quite old

Not that old. The first club game I attended was Quins v Gosforth at the old open Stoop in 1980. Paul Gustard's dad was playing for Gosforth! I noticed Bob Hiller was playing for the Quins 2nd team on the adjacent pitch too.

My first Wasps game, the same year at Sudbury, 19 year old  Nigel Melville was playing as well as All Black Mark Taylor.

The first actual game I attended was a varsity match at Twickenham. Nigel Starmer-Smith played in that and South African international Tommy Bedford. I played my first ever game of rugby that same year. I've played a few games as a sub this season!

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2022, 04:52:49 PM »
Faces and names ;) ;) ;)

SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

13thWarrior

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2022, 05:44:18 PM »
This is crying out for a "Famous fathers" team to be put together, but there doesnt seem to be as many forwards with famous dads though?
Wonder why that is?

Wild speculation time:

Successful sports stars marry petite women and so don't have very large children

Offspring of rugby players get introduced to sport early, therefore have good ball skills and are active from an early age and so end up as backs.

Rugby players know how hard being a forward is and so dissuade their children from being one.

Any other suggestions? I guess our own T Young would be an exception?

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2022, 05:53:44 PM »
Josh Beaumont?

COYW15

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Three Wasps in England U20 Squad
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2022, 06:54:15 PM »
Excellent news. I recognise Cripps and Bell from the 8 u18s promoted to senior academy, Hartley as he's been in some Orem cup games, but don't know Hardwick.

Bell being a Lock is exciting potential.

Robin Hardwick - who is the son of Robin Hardwick - attended Rugby School and looks the part as a big THP. Hopefully he is one to watch out for.

Rob Hardwick senior played for Barkers Butts alongside Danny Grewcock, Neil Back etc before joining Coventry RFC and then London Irish. Rob gained one England cap I believe.

I’m delighted we have 4 in the squad.

Hardwick is on the Wasps website as a Loose head - which may or may not be correct  ;D

For a moment there I thought you were implying they'd updated the academy profiles! Wishful thinking.

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2022, 07:13:22 PM »
How about Nick Youngs  - sons Tom and Ben

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2022, 07:31:32 PM »
"For a moment there I thought you were implying they'd updated the academy profiles! Wishful thinking."

!!

They have.

But the whole club is together, academy, coaches and all.

https://www.ultimaterugby.com/wasps/squad

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2022, 09:06:52 PM »
"For a moment there I thought you were implying they'd updated the academy profiles! Wishful thinking."

!!

They have.

But the whole club is together, academy, coaches and all.

https://www.ultimaterugby.com/wasps/squad

Except that isn't the Wasps site.