Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Other Games This Weekend - Contains Spoilers (Probably)  (Read 2686 times)

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Other Games This Weekend - Contains Spoilers (Probably)
« on: January 07, 2022, 08:31:53 PM »
Defense optional at Ashton Gate.

HT. Bris 19 - Sale 15. Five tries in all.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Other Games This Weekend - Contains Spoilers (Probably)
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2022, 08:33:16 PM »
Currently wondering why we couldn't have had the option of this Sale performance.
Let me tell you something cucumber

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2022, 08:36:48 PM »
Was just thinking the radradra pass was the karma for curry crawl last week.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2022, 08:42:47 PM »
Healy just mentioned falling off tackles, something we've been guilty of.

I wonder, are players falling off rather than risking upright tackles?

Bristol look like they're getting some of last year's form back.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2022, 08:42:55 PM »
Absolutely with you on this! Why couldn’t Rob Du Preez have played 13 last week! Just our luck at the minute. Every time I watch Sale I think of our issues at 12 and hope (I think) in vain that we might try to recruit either of the James brothers to play there. Fantastic players both.

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2022, 09:28:17 PM »
Absolutely with you on this! Why couldn’t Rob Du Preez have played 13 last week! Just our luck at the minute. Every time I watch Sale I think of our issues at 12 and hope (I think) in vain that we might try to recruit either of the James brothers to play there. Fantastic players both.

Luke James definitely isn't a 12. Sam James I rate

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2022, 09:29:52 PM »
Currently wondering why we couldn't have had the option of this Sale performance.

We did, we were just appalling. Missed tackles on the big runners that let them get on the front foot, and when we had the ball we just did one out runners that were swallowed by their monster defence.

Sale are just another average team we made look much better than they are

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2022, 10:00:55 PM »
Not sure about that Peej. Barnes and his TMO’s made them look a worse team than they are tonight - otherwise they’d have been looking at a good win away to Brizz.

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2022, 10:14:51 PM »
Agreed Shugs.

Two Sale tries disallowed on spurious grounds by Ref/TMO combination that is beginning to look past its sell by date.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2022, 06:10:21 AM »
There were definitely infringements for those disallowed Sale tries. The only complaint might be that they bothered to go back and look whereas they didn't when Radradra passed forward for one of Bristol's tries.

That lack of consistency is a problem we've suffered from in the past, although I'm sure most fans will complain its happened to them as well.

As an aside, what was Barnes doing so far from London?

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2022, 09:56:22 AM »
Sanderson not happy.

“Any loss is a concern,” said Sanderson “I don’t see home and away as being any point of difference. 

“It might influence the referee and I think it might have tonight, maybe. He’s one of the world’s best, but I couldn’t fathom some of those decisions around the scrum. 

“I’d have to have another look because there are a lot of moving parts to it. I’ll have a look at it and go through the proper channels.

“There were elements to our game which were pleasing and some where we didn’t get the rewards I would have expected. The scrum was one, in particular, so I’ll have another look at that. 

Bevan Rodd couldn't understand what he was doing wrong!

Proper channels?????????? Can a coach/DoR make a formal complaint to higher authority about the refereeing?

SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2022, 10:34:18 AM »

Proper channels?????????? Can a coach/DoR make a formal complaint to higher authority about the refereeing?

After every match both clubs are able to submit a written report about the officiating.

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2022, 10:39:05 AM »
So Sanderson is now complaining one of the Worlds most experienced referees was influenced by the crowd and made incorrect decisions against his team?

Sanderson is making Steve Diamond's unfounded attacks on the officials look tame.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2022, 11:15:28 AM »

After every match both clubs are able to submit a written report about the officiating.

I wonder what Lee had to say about the 'Curry crawl'?
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2022, 11:54:59 AM »
Watching the game and Barnes' performance - I don't see bias as such, but he did influence the outcome by a) not looking at the clear Briz forward pass. b) penalising Sale's LH when the Briz TH has got long and was virtually lying on the ground, and c) when he did a "drop ball" scrum for getting in the way - he gave a penalty whereas given the reason for the scrum, he could easily have asked the Briz 9 to play the ball, just like he had before in this game.

It's a bit of an officiating issue at present - for me - that there are too many random scrum penalties and too many overall - least for me - and even with a v clear bulletin from WR on the breakdown - it's still too often a mess, dangerous (not binding, flying in etc.) and seemingly not being played like the Laws suggest. Offside is also to often randomly/not called,  and that's with a TMO watching the same that we do.....And when Curry crawls are allowed....There probably needs a look at the maul and how it can be defended as currently it does seem an uneven contest too often. With players in front of the ball - meaning the defence is essentially blocked from contesting.

It's not going to change/improve quickly, easily, but those areas are an issue for me, in too many games. Sorting it ought to improve the game as a whole. Actually applying the breakdown Laws (what WR wanted) and offside as written would be a start....