Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Wasps v Tigers: Post Match Thoughts  (Read 7775 times)

MarleyWasp

Re: Wasps v Tigers: Post Match Thoughts
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2022, 06:37:22 PM »
Suspect we'll be without Hougaard for a few weeks. He looked like he pulled a hamstring as Brad made his break at the end.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2022, 06:39:22 PM »
I don't think I've ever seen Lee so animated. ;D ;D ;D

https://twitter.com/i/status/1480243486569938946
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2022, 06:42:33 PM »
During all the tension and excitement, I didn't realise that Ryan Mills never got on the pitch!
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2022, 06:47:23 PM »
And another thing. we nilled them in the second half. Quite a defensive achievement.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2022, 06:59:10 PM »
During all the tension and excitement, I didn't realise that Ryan Mills never got on the pitch!

Did he not? I could have sworn I saw him in the second half.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2022, 07:00:02 PM »
Suspect we'll be without Hougaard for a few weeks. He looked like he pulled a hamstring as Brad made his break at the end.

I hope not. I was just thinking he must be so full of confidence that we should get him back to 9, we're still too slow at the breakdown despite the 2nd half improvement.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2022, 07:20:26 PM »
At one point in the 2nd half Charlie tried to run for our 22 but got in to trouble and the commentators remarked that because he'd had the ball in one hand he'd been able to keep it away from any prospective jackler until the cavalry arrived. That wasn't the only time he'd gone on a run with the ball in one hand but is wasn't picked up by the commentary team.

Is this something he's picked up or was he doing it before the injury?

westwaleswasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2022, 07:31:47 PM »
Season turning performance, hopefully.
The sort of win that generates momentum, confidence and bums on seats. Just the tonic after the bad news vis-a-vis Fifita.
Hoogaard I think is likely to play on the wing for us for a while, he has a lot of rugby nous and looks busy.
Reminded me of Wasps Tigers of old, especially as our set piece was under pressure and we did not come out on top in the scrums, but our back row was immense, like the old days.

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2022, 07:34:34 PM »
They are playing Cluedo on the Tigers site.

Apparently it was the Ref that did it, with the whistle, at the CBS stadium

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2022, 08:04:52 PM »
Not seen much mention of Biyi. He was loud in the second half. Think he helped level up the refs view of the scrum. Stooke was immense yet again. Spink was a very solid tackler and you could see his anger when some things didn't come off. Elsewhere I agree with others on the players.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2022, 08:43:07 PM »
Well, who'd have thunk that would happen in the second half? Some team talk. Lee looked like he had turned into a kangaroo as he bounced up and down at the final whistle.

I dont think even the most optimistic of us saw that coming....and even more so after the first 40 Nelly! Lee's reaction and the boys being out on their feet told me the most....that this is a group that can ride out hardest of times and come out the other stronger.

Maybe this could be the making of us

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2022, 08:49:13 PM »
At one point in the 2nd half Charlie tried to run for our 22 but got in to trouble and the commentators remarked that because he'd had the ball in one hand he'd been able to keep it away from any prospective jackler until the cavalry arrived. That wasn't the only time he'd gone on a run with the ball in one hand but is wasn't picked up by the commentary team.

Richie Mo'unga

Covkid40

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2022, 08:50:55 PM »
Not seen much mention of Biyi. He was loud in the second half. Think he helped level up the refs view of the scrum. Stooke was immense yet again. Spink was a very solid tackler and you could see his anger when some things didn't come off. Elsewhere I agree with others on the players. Wasn’t a game to bring Mills on, the players were in the zone and battling for their lives and each other, I think changing the midfield would have unsettled it
From where we were sitting it looked like Genie had GTA beaten all ends up in the scrum but when Biyi came in it seemed to even up. I think a bit of praise should go to Nearachou (or however you spell it) while it is obvious he isn’t yet ready for premiership scrummaging but time and again he put himself in there and didn’t give up or surrender especially that set of scrums at the end where we kept getting pinged and tigers kept going back for another scrum. There was lots of encouragement from senior players and he didn’t shrink he went back for more and eventually stood his ground, well done young man. That will do his confidence the power of good
« Last Edit: January 09, 2022, 08:53:38 PM by Covkid40 »

BrackenandMacken

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2022, 08:52:28 PM »
Thought we were really really good in the second half.

Played with much greater pace and intent, we aren't going to win set piece based arm wrestles so we need to do all we can to avoid them.

Great to see how much the non playing squad enjoyed it, appears this group are really close knit.

Finally, pretty happy that you can't bring just a scrum to a game of rugby and come away with the win.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2022, 08:56:31 PM »

Richie Mo'unga

This legit something Mo'unga does or jokes based on the article posted today?