Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Wasps v Tigers: Post Match Thoughts  (Read 8677 times)

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Re: Wasps v Tigers: Post Match Thoughts
« Reply #60 on: January 10, 2022, 01:29:54 PM »
According to one of the Tigers' posters, she managed to read Hougard's lips (!!) and he said something very naughty to Genge. That's why his hand happened to land on Hougard's face.

Probably best Genge hasn't ended up playing the military teams I used to prop against.......Their "modus operandi" involved a lot of "chat" and niggle.......always a fun afternoon!

Having played all of my rugby in the military, I agree, there is a lot of winding up goes on, but for out and out dirtiness, the police teams I have played against have taken that title by a long margin!! ;D

I played against the Met at Imber Court a few times. Always very rough. They could dish it out but they could take it as well  ;)
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: January 10, 2022, 01:34:59 PM »
I only played the police at cricket....that was pretty entertaining, shall we say.....We had one of their fast bowlers play for my team. Nice guy if he was your friend!

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: January 10, 2022, 01:59:32 PM »
I've got a mate from South Wales who played flanker and he said his games against the South Wales Police were always the dirtiest games of the season.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: January 10, 2022, 02:03:14 PM »
The Met Police of the 1960s was by far the dirtiest team I have come across - absolute thugs. Made playing against the military teams seem like playing tag rugby.

matelot22

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: January 10, 2022, 02:51:25 PM »
Yes, the Met and Merseyside police for me, both thugs, but a great piss up afterwards with both!

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: January 10, 2022, 02:52:26 PM »
And for anyone who didn't know and was wondering  -  the  Attendance was  (drum roll)  14,234. 

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: January 10, 2022, 03:01:15 PM »
I always remember the Australians complaining of how violent one of the Lions tours back in the 90s was & wondering if that was because of the number of policemen in the squad !   ;D

matelot22

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: January 10, 2022, 03:13:04 PM »
I always remember the Australians complaining of how violent one of the Lions tours back in the 90s was & wondering if that was because of the number of policemen in the squad !   ;D

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D :D

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: January 10, 2022, 04:41:03 PM »
Genge is an average prop. Alongside that he’s just a wannabe yob, a posturer and a wind up merchant. I’ve never believed the hype around him. Tigers fans are actually seeking to excuse him as Hougaard “said something to him”. Pathetic.
Hang on..Gouge is a pretty dislikeable human being and optimises his chav persona, but he is no average prop, there is no hype. I can't stand the guy but from a purely playing perspective, there aren't many as good as him, he can do it all.
As for the Tigers fans..Myopic doesn't even begin to describe then. I think they'd rather lose any number of games as long as they don't lose to FaCov. It's hard not to poke the bear and watch it retaliate, at least that's my week sorted.

On the game, I'll say it, the rotation of 9 changed everything. 'Wusty' is slow, ponderous and makes bad decisions. As soon as porter came on and the ball sped up we had a different tempo, more time to make decisions, Charlie had an extra second and Tigers weren't constantly set.
To say it's easy to come on and make an impact...it isn't, it's the opposite in fact, else we'd have won more games. Had Robson been playing, or Hoogs at nine, that game would have been a lot easier.

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: January 10, 2022, 06:00:33 PM »
On the game, I'll say it, the rotation of 9 changed everything. 'Wusty' is slow, ponderous and makes bad decisions. As soon as porter came on and the ball sped up we had a different tempo, more time to make decisions, Charlie had an extra second and Tigers weren't constantly set.
To say it's easy to come on and make an impact...it isn't, it's the opposite in fact, else we'd have won more games. Had Robson been playing, or Hoogs at nine, that game would have been a lot easier.

Thats what everyone said the last time Porter started and Wusty came off the bench.

It is clearly the tactic.

"Blackett said: “In the dressing room afterwards I couldn’t speak as there was huge emotion as our whole performance was based on loads of energy and emotion.

“It wasn’t pretty but it was gritty and we scrapped throughout.

“Our young half-backs, (Charlie Atkinson and Sam Wolstenholme) managed the game really well and that’s what you have to do against Leicester.

“At half-time, we emphasised that we had to stay in the kicking game, be patient, and take the opportunities that came our way."

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: January 10, 2022, 06:47:01 PM »

Thats what everyone said the last time Porter started and Wusty came off the bench.

It is clearly the tactic.

"Blackett said: “In the dressing room afterwards I couldn’t speak as there was huge emotion as our whole performance was based on loads of energy and emotion.

“It wasn’t pretty but it was gritty and we scrapped throughout.

“Our young half-backs, (Charlie Atkinson and Sam Wolstenholme) managed the game really well and that’s what you have to do against Leicester.

“At half-time, we emphasised that we had to stay in the kicking game, be patient, and take the opportunities that came our way."
I'm not sure what the copy/paste represents.
I'm dealing with the facts as they were presented, Wusty was all of those things this game, the last game and the game before that, so I'm not sure what your point is.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: January 10, 2022, 07:21:52 PM »
There was more zip about Porter. But he did also benefit by playing at the point of the game where Willis, Barbeary, Hougaard and Bassett had started to make yards. I think both Porter and Wolstenholme have had a real mix of games but neither has really made themselves nailed on. I think Hougaard should be playing there now but can we afford to lose him at wing now.

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: January 11, 2022, 10:02:25 AM »
According to one of the Tigers' posters, she managed to read Hougard's lips (!!) and he said something very naughty to Genge. That's why his hand happened to land on Hougard's face.

Probably best Genge hasn't ended up playing the military teams I used to prop against.......Their "modus operandi" involved a lot of "chat" and niggle.......always a fun afternoon!

Having played all of my rugby in the military, I agree, there is a lot of winding up goes on, but for out and out dirtiness, the police teams I have played against have taken that title by a long margin!! ;D

I played against the Met at Imber Court a few times. Always very rough. They could dish it out but they could take it as well  ;)

I played against a prison a few times. The prisoners were all unbelievably fit and fast. It was also probably one of the cleanest games to play in, as they had been told that if they messed about they were banned for the season. The guards in their team making up the numbers, on the other hand....

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: January 11, 2022, 12:13:17 PM »
The issue at 9 is that none of the 3 fit ones are anywhere near as good as Robson.

Which is why Hougaard was signed but he hasn't really had a chance there, now he's looking good on the wing, he may not get one.
The other 2 have looked good in parts. Both have looked decent off the bench but not so good when starting.

Having Dobby back will make a huge difference, he was in great form earlier in the season, I think he made 3 Flats teams of the week back to back & that was carrying his injury!

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: January 11, 2022, 12:36:51 PM »
I wonder.

9 Robson
10 Umaga
11 Bassett
12 Atkinson
13 Spink
14 Hougaard
15 Crossdale

Just think how much we could mix and match on the pitch and in the back 3.