Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Teams Up for Toulouse - Paolo Starts.  (Read 3636 times)

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Teams Up for Toulouse - Paolo Starts.
« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2022, 04:23:54 PM »
Interesting that those absent are listed as Unavailable rather than Injured.

That's been the case for a while on these squad announcements. Guess it covers suspensions & covid unavailability as well as injuries.
Could it be about privacy? Using a nondescript term like unavailable protects the individual's privacy.

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2022, 04:37:47 PM »
I find it interesting that Charlie, who played full back at the end of last season when Jacob started at fly half, keeps the 10 shirt with Jacob now at 15. I'd be interested to know the rational behind that switch.

Jacob played at 15 when he was with Auckland

baldpaul101

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2022, 04:49:45 PM »
I wouldn't read too much into the 10 & 15 positions. In the Tigers game the 10 & 15 were both patrolling the back field collecting kicks, I would expect them to be interchangeable to a high degree

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2022, 06:35:45 PM »
I find it interesting that Charlie, who played full back at the end of last season when Jacob started at fly half, keeps the 10 shirt with Jacob now at 15. I'd be interested to know the rational behind that switch.

And when at Yorkshire Carnegie I think.

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2022, 07:08:01 PM »

Indeed I've often mentioned on here most of his rugby prior to playing 10 for Wasps was at 12 and 15, might be an option they think they have a chance to look at now.

Mellie

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2022, 07:33:17 PM »
Man in possession keeps the shirt.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2022, 10:33:50 PM »
Not sure what to make of that. I’d have definitely started Carr without damaging our chances of winning. I’d definitely have given Shields the week off and possibly Gopperth. Mills needs game time - let’s give him some.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 15, 2022, 03:37:53 AM »

Indeed I've often mentioned on here most of his rugby prior to playing 10 for Wasps was at 12 and 15, might be an option they think they have a chance to look at now.

I’m really wondering if anyone is seriously thinking about Umaga moving out to 13 in the mould of Loz, Slade, Goosen or playing more regularly at 15.
I’m not sure if he’ll ever have the control at 10 for the tight games but he undoubtedly sees things when they’re on. Seeing him attack out the back as second receiver and exploiting the wider channels, he is very good. He’d have more time out there and could form a great relationship with Charlie at 10 over the years and maybe Hartley at 12, who knows.
My only concern would be defence. It’s a massive responsibility defending in that channel and organising those inside but like Cips in the early days Umaga looks a lot more confident with his side on rather than front on tackling.
Time will tell

coddy

• Wasps Rugby Supporter
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 15, 2022, 09:45:49 AM »
I think anyone would prefer to tackle side on especially when confronted by a bigger player, it lessons the chance significantly of being palmed off if tackling at chest height or being knocked out or bounced off if tackling at knee or waist height.

I can't see Jacob playing anywhere else other than 10 or 15 unless he bulks up.

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 15, 2022, 10:14:06 AM »
Not sure what to make of that. I’d have definitely started Carr without damaging our chances of winning. I’d definitely have given Shields the week off and possibly Gopperth. Mills needs game time - let’s give him some.
[/quot
+1