Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Wasps v Toulouse: Post Match Thoughts.  (Read 4167 times)

Covkid40

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Wasps v Toulouse: Post Match Thoughts.
« Reply #30 on: January 16, 2022, 11:02:10 PM »
I think Biyi is rapidly making himself first choice.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2022, 07:54:27 AM »
When opportunity calls, you grab it by both hands. Biyi has run after it, tackled it to the ground and trussed it up.

Beasties

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2022, 08:05:12 AM »
If I was JTA I’d be getting worried at how much gametime I was gonna get in future, having seen how well Biyi lasted in that game. Half time swap doesn’t need to happen now.

Lwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2022, 10:13:22 AM »
World Rugby needs to think long and hard about how much they are asking the ref to do.

It used to be that when the ball is taken back in to the 22 the ref is shouting "taken back" or "always inside" to let the defending team know if they can kick out on the full or not. Now, I've always felt this shouldn't happen, it's not for Sir to coach within game it's for the players to know what they're doing and if in doubt to err on the side of caution, you might see a lot more ball in play time as a result.

Now we seem to have added the same calls to balls travelling over the half-way line for 50-22 possible kicks. I guess there is the same rule that you can't carry your own ball back in to your own half and then kick to the oppo 22? I would also assume the same 1 phase of play resets that like in the 22? But it leads to the ref constantly shouting out more and more within game information. To add to the instructions to players to stop advancing on kicks and get back onside prior to balls leaving the ruck etc. etc.

Let the players decide for themselves and rule accordingly.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2022, 10:24:03 AM »
I'd rather the refs call out how they're seeing the game, as opposed to have to blow the whistle more often and have more irritated players. If something can be avoided through communication rather than a penalty/free kick etc then why not simply communicate.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2022, 10:49:38 AM »
Having seen the success refs have had in NZ with "coaching" at the breakdown, calling tackle, release, roll, ruck and pinging rather than warning - I can see a game management role as being positive. But, given the TMO can see what we can, offside could easily be managed via "VAR"

The scrum needs attention.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2022, 11:00:14 AM »
I’m with you and Raggs on most of those things, but I think offside needs to be policed by the touch judge / assistant ref at the breakdown. They are in line, or at least should be, whereas the cameras might be offset and the TMO has to deal with parallax error. 

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2022, 11:03:50 AM »
BIND - offside needs to be policed very aggressively IMO. I want to see what a team can achieve with the ball in some space, not some sneaking overcoached  and overwhelming defence.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2022, 11:12:18 AM »
BIND - offside needs to be policed very aggressively IMO. I want to see what a team can achieve with the ball in some space, not some sneaking overcoached  and overwhelming defence.
+1. Even as an old prop I want to see ball in hand.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2022, 05:58:59 PM »
backdoc,

I'm with you on that, I just don't think its the TMO's job at the breakdown or scrums for the reason given. Obviously if there's egregious examples they should raise them, but I want to see the assistant refs taking more responsibility.