Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Thoughts about team for the Semi  (Read 2268 times)

Brandnewtorugby

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Thoughts about team for the Semi
« on: May 16, 2018, 01:41:56 PM »
Seems the trickiest choice will be the back row. Having read some of the discussion about whether Hughes starts or joins from the bench and comparisons with Billy, a couple of thoughts come to mind. We will need as much ball as possible. With injuries in the front row maybe we will struggle a bit in the scrum, not sure that there is any number 8 better than  Hughes at rescuing the ball, the recent law changes even makes most of these legal now as well. Also thinking we need to make Sarries think we will run hard and straight if they don't protect the middle, especially without Ash or Reider. Well there are my two pennies, I don't think it is about Hughes and Billy literally going head to head or not.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts about team for the Semi
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 10:01:43 AM »
I would pick Nathan to start without hesitation. He will have to go head to head with Billy from the off. If it is clear that his fitness isn't up to it, then get him off early. I wouldn't have him on the bench as he may be called on too soon for his first game back.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 01:20:26 PM »
Agreed, start Hughes, try and get him to the 40, then tell him to blow himself out in the 2nd half, and bring on Guy. Guy also seems like a better 2nd half player.

Willis, Young, Hughes for me.

Eastmond vs Gopperth is a tough choice.

We need to be right on it basically. Not like last seasons final where we blew several scoring chances in the first half with uncharacteristic errors. Overall we're not favourites, but equally I'm not counting us out.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2018, 11:56:53 AM »
For us, it is also about making the right tactical decisions. Sarries rarely concede a try from an opposition 5m lineout, won from a penalty. So we should be thinking about taking points where we can. For that, Gopperth, Cipriani and Daly need to be on form.

I have sat there watching Launch not making this call when it needs to be made, and instead taking the kick to touch and coming away with nothing.

The other issue is penalties. In recent games we have been giving these away like Smarties, especially in the scrum and breakdown.

We cannot expect to breeze or blast through their backs line, so this needs to be a game of low and purposeful gains and possession, not about do or die passes and trickery.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2018, 08:44:34 PM »
I'm really not holding out any hope for this game.  I'm not sure if I'm moping because I need an operation on my knee because it is a lot more serious than I thought, or whether I am just being realistic.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2018, 10:23:48 AM »
I'm really not holding out any hope for this game.  I'm not sure if I'm moping because I need an operation on my knee because it is a lot more serious than I thought, or whether I am just being realistic.

I am not expecting us to win. I am expecting us to have a hard game. I am expecting a lot of heartache and 'Oh, no, why did you do that?' or 'Don't do that!' moments as one or more of the team do their usual brain farts trying to force the game. And I am expecting the team to lose its shape as the unfinishers come on. But, we COULD still win.