Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Eddie on Alfie  (Read 1082 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Let me tell you something cucumber

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Eddie on Alfie
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2022, 10:14:14 PM »
He's going to break him.
Let me tell you something cucumber

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2022, 10:48:25 PM »
He's going to break him.
+1

You can a very good side out of people that haven't made the "Jones level". If such a level was required, then how did George Martin get caps last 6Ns....

Jones is probably the coach I'd have to win a game for my life - so to speak - but his track record is one of making an impact followed by some confusion and often a quite messy exit. (c.f Australia and Q Reds)

Many have pointed to the RWC final as evidence of his achievement. But the RWC usually requires fewer difficult games than most 6Ns and the 2019 RWC had the NZ win. That was the only game England weren't expected to win to get to the final. We'd been beating the Aussies out of hand for a while and France was cancelled

Now I guess the aim is the RWC. This has escaped Jones except as advisor to SA in 07. But if that is the focus - it seems that he is happy to piss around with selection and way of playing - and we saw that last 6Ns where the team really didn't seem to know what it was doing or why - with the exception of 25mins vs France and perhaps 20mins v Wales - a game we lost rather comfortably in the end - failing for me (vs Wales) in the top two inches.

So here we are again - like in 2017. Looking to some sort of game plan that's putting players out of position and selecting gambles in terms of no/low cap players and older players who if not likely to make the RWC perhaps ought to be the ones left out? And probably left out last 6Ns....

I find following England less interesting these day. And it's at least in part down to Jones. The quotes about Alfie just suggest we'll end up with a broken player - who for me would have been better playing in the backrow for Wasps - where he might not even start if we're at full strength - getting experience and touring in the summer.

I want to be wrong....but several of my fav players have been broken/crapped on by the England set up....
« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 08:08:01 AM by mike909 »

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2022, 08:10:24 AM »
I predict tears, and another player broken.

Covkid40

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2022, 08:33:00 AM »
Our strength and conditioning staff are well aware of his training programme but there’s also a requirement at our level to train at a higher level because the game’s played at a higher level. We’ll be making sure we make the adjustments to his programme to allow him to achieve that.”
It will be a miracle if Eddie doesn’t break him. The problem is Eddie is not really concerned if players breakdown as he just picks the next one
« Last Edit: January 20, 2022, 10:48:33 AM by Covkid40 »

wycombewasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2022, 10:36:07 AM »
I don't understand this higher level nonsense, what do the players think when they play a club game, I WON'T play to my top level  as its just a club game, no I DON'T THINK SO, when they play Leinster in a Euro they are playing almost the Irish side , is that a step down, like wise Toulouse and I don't want  to mention the well known B&IL club side. I believe Eddie thinks the only way England can beat other sides is to be fitter because we don't have the skill (evident by his utter refusal to pick skilful players) so in his quest to make the players supper fit he either breaks them or knackers them both of which we have seen.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2022, 10:58:54 AM »
"Higher level"???? Usual mental Eddie bollocks. I doubt if Lee's the only DoR/head coach who loses sleep over his players going off to the England setup.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2022, 12:12:39 PM »
In all sports whenever you step up a level you're playing against opposition who are slightly quicker, stronger and have slightly better skills, its why they are at that level. Conversely, you have been picked to play at that level because you are faster, stronger and have better skills than your peers at that lower level.

If Eddie doesn't think they're up to it he shouldn't pick them and then push people beyond their limits. that's why they break.