Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Brad. England Rugby's Forgotten Man  (Read 1627 times)

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Brad. England Rugby's Forgotten Man
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2022, 04:51:24 PM »
I've said it before, EJ is basically a complete dick. With all the resources he has at hand, England should just about win everything going.

It's partly that and partly that what he again showed he is good at is taking an underperforming team (Eng of 2015 RWC) and getting them to work in the short term. His resources were all there with U20 RWC winners and the like and a team with an 80% win rate in the 6Ns and got them a GS. A great tour and then just like Lancaster, a 4 from 5 6Ns.....

Since, England's longest losing run, two worst 6Ns all apparently compensated by a RWC Final and a win vs NZ.....forgetting quite a poor '07 England got to a RWC and Lancaster beat the ABs and toured really well there - something Jones hasn't....His win percentage after the 2017 6Ns is quite average and last season he looked wrong on so many counts (6Ns) Again - all ok because of a close win vs SA......

And that quote about Lawrence just shows that the quote in Stuff.nz wasn't so far off "Some things I would witness I'd just go, 'Oh dear.' Eventually I realised it was his way of feeling better about himself. But what if the person he has been ripping into can't move on? In the end he was saying that certain people were purposely ignoring his game plans to sabotage him" That was from an Aussie coach, repeated several time......"Loses the dressing room"

hopwood

« Reply #16 on: January 22, 2022, 05:01:31 PM »
I've said it before, EJ is basically a complete dick. With all the resources he has at hand, England should just about win everything going.

It's partly that and partly that what he again showed he is good at is taking an underperforming team (Eng of 2015 RWC) and getting them to work in the short term. His resources were all there with U20 RWC winners and the like and a team with an 80% win rate in the 6Ns and got them a GS. A great tour and then just like Lancaster, a 4 from 5 6Ns.....

Since, England's longest losing run, two worst 6Ns all apparently compensated by a RWC Final and a win vs NZ.....forgetting quite a poor '07 England got to a RWC and Lancaster beat the ABs and toured really well there - something Jones hasn't....His win percentage after the 2017 6Ns is quite average and last season he looked wrong on so many counts (6Ns) Again - all ok because of a close win vs SA......

And that quote about Lawrence just shows that the quote in Stuff.nz wasn't so far off "Some things I would witness I'd just go, 'Oh dear.' Eventually I realised it was his way of feeling better about himself. But what if the person he has been ripping into can't move on? In the end he was saying that certain people were purposely ignoring his game plans to sabotage him" That was from an Aussie coach, repeated several time......"Loses the dressing room"

That quote is from quite a while ago.
Like John Mitchell, coaches can/do evolve and change.
However, whilst Eddie’s style has developed a bit, he still has this inferiority complex and simply can’t admit to being wrong about something.
He wants to always appear more clever than everyone else.
It’s a bit like the Tom Curry experiment at 8 or indeed keeping Farrell as captain…he’ll wait for injuries to come along rather than admitting there’s a better way of doing things.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2022, 05:02:00 PM »
We can't have it all ways

If Brad was being selected by England, we'd probably be arguing that he's not value for money as he doesn't play enough games.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 22, 2022, 05:48:07 PM »
It's one of a number of quotes from his time as Aus coach - but it does seem that the frailties of working too long and demanding similar and "interesting" man management is why coaches keep leaving, even recently. And why he has a record that seems to get an odd focus sooner or later - because he can't admit there's more than one way of doing things. And can't admit to himself that he's perhaps wrong about players and "the one way"

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2022, 06:36:53 PM »
He has IMO at least two major failings: 1. He has some terrific players in his squad and he persists in playing them out of position or expects them to play his way and not theirs. Their greatness consequently is diluted and they don't perform - Nathan was never the player for England that he was for Wasps, 2. For some reason, he persists selecting players who have become past their use by date, when there are better alternatives who don't get a look in - Farrell being a prime example. The second blind spot, no doubt, engenders intense loyalty in some players and despair in others - Wade being a prime example. When Christian realised that whatever he did there was absolutely no way that EJ would have him in the England setup he gave up the game entirely.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2022, 06:42:34 PM »
You spoke a book Ross.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 22, 2022, 11:38:05 PM »
All the analysis needed on Jones is that he’s not very good. He’s a myth.