Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Match Thread  (Read 8996 times)

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Match Thread
« Reply #135 on: January 23, 2022, 09:33:17 PM »
That’s correct - both Atkinson and Umaga are young. But they’ve both hot to improve quickly as we’ve nailed our colours to the mast with them. We don’t have other 10’s. One of the biggest things both have to work hard on is place kicking. Without Jimmy we risk leaving lots of points out there if they can’t.

I think that’s the problem, we have to rely on them not to make too many mistakes. In 3/4 years time I except Charlie to be a pretty hot player, if he can learn from a quality 1st choice 10.

The pressure on the young players can be immense it can make them or break them but we can’t lose too many games as they are learning

Rugbyintheblood

• Wasps Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 23, 2022, 10:05:33 PM »
That’s correct - both Atkinson and Umaga are young. But they’ve both hot to improve quickly as we’ve nailed our colours to the mast with them. We don’t have other 10’s. One of the biggest things both have to work hard on is place kicking. Without Jimmy we risk leaving lots of points out there if they can’t.

Look I know this is going to sound really funny, especially given the past 2 years, but … Ryan Mills is an amazing kicker
https://youtu.be/aAt54eXle2U

Hopefully he’ll be ready next week?

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 23, 2022, 11:19:10 PM »

Look I know this is going to sound really funny, especially given the past 2 years, but … Ryan Mills is an amazing kicker

Is his foot back to normal?

Andywasp50

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 24, 2022, 12:16:35 AM »

Is his foot back to normal?

Interesting that in the clip they say he was the “Warriors number 10”, I had no idea he could cover that position and it could be a real blessing.

I think it’s fair to say Atkinson is young and learning, but I struggle to apply that to Umaga who has been 10 for a couple of years now and should be better.

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 24, 2022, 10:48:31 AM »
I've not watched much of Munster this season or last (or perhaps longer) but always feel like they were a set-piece/territory dominant team without much by the way of attacking prowess in the backs.

Yesterday, they executed well in the backline.  Zebo's still got it.  The chip for their try was pinpoint.  Think we helped them look good a bit - at times it felt like all they had to do was run laterally and then cut through the gaping whole in our defensive line. 

That all being said, they looked incredibly vulnerable when we got into their 22 - It was penalty after penalty and some very cynical play at times.  I said to my Family at halftime, that I think it's one of the few games where I'd like to have seen us try and dominate territory rather than keep the ball in hand.