Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Match Thread  (Read 9190 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Match Thread
« Reply #120 on: January 23, 2022, 05:11:59 PM »
Just said Tom is in hospital having scans
Let me tell you something cucumber

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 23, 2022, 05:13:37 PM »
That sums up Charlie’s game, really poor game

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: January 23, 2022, 05:21:05 PM »
Started early as we have a change - Mills ill so Booj starts.

I've posted a duplicate, so I'll remove it.

Ffs seriously can mills go a week without having a problem. Now we are missing Alfie, Tom, Fifita and Mills, which would have given us a chance. Now we will not have a good defensive line or getting the ball out wide as it will be dropped.

So we are now missing about 17 players again. 1 step forward 2 back. Not confident at all now and looks likely challenge cup. This season is starting to really irritate me

Hang on Westy, the game hasn’t even started yet.
The boys have found a way to win over the past few weeks (against the odds) so let’s give them an opportunity before we get too negative.

Unfortunately it was way to obvious

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 23, 2022, 05:23:04 PM »
There were some key battles we lost in that game, but for me it was our back row was simply outclassed. Charlie is young, he will learn. He clearly is not fully fit, and his leg is bad enough that his kicking is quite bad.

Which the coaches would have known. So, we started that game without a kicker. At 10 12 we were again simply outclassed.

It is what it is. No regrets. The guys gave it their all. Yes, some decisions didn't go our way, but we didn't have a lot of possession, and what we had, we gave away cheaply. I will say it was a fair game that the ref had.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 23, 2022, 05:27:51 PM »
Nothing cost us ref wise. We looked lightweight and disjointed which is no surprise really. Hopefully Atkinson will take the experience on board. Plenty of negatives, not least more injuries. Positives - I thought we did ok in the scrum and Martinez looks a find and Scholtz looks able to compete again. Thought Odogwu made yards when we got it to him. We missed a load of ballast and made too many simple errors. Take the experience, patch a few more up, move on.

Garuda

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 23, 2022, 05:47:13 PM »
Painful to watch. My thoughts are with YY.  I don't know what else to say.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 23, 2022, 06:20:07 PM »
Just said Tom is in hospital having scans

He's going to spend the night in hospital.

Lee said "He will stay in hospital overnight."  "He will have some more tests tomorrow. We will know a lot more tomorrow and the club will give a statement as soon as we know."
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 23, 2022, 06:42:22 PM »
So very sorry for the team; it just seemed that everything was against them. and so sorry too for those who were injured.  Most sorry of all for YY and his family.   I hope he has a speedy and complete recovery.

Andywasp50

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 23, 2022, 07:09:30 PM »
Hope TY is going to be ok. Hopefully we’ll see him in a Wasps shirt again but I think the incident needs checking by the citing officer just for consistency in protecting players. Given what Umaga was sent off for last week for head on head I’m not sure that challenge was any better.

I think we just got exposed today with our lightweight backs. Atkinson was woeful - his decision making was atrocious and caused all sorts of problems. Things like trying to run it out of your own 22 with three Munster players closing in was plain daft. When I saw the starting backs included MLB and Watson, with Atkinson playing so badly, we were always going to be in trouble, but I was surprised at just how poor we were.

I don’t know why Gaskell and Young stopped and let Murray score the try as you always play the whistle. Ultimately we were outplayed from start to finish. Not sure how good Munster really are, but they dominated us physically and found loads of space. It’s not the end of the world though and we just need to limp through this season and hope injury fortunes improve - we certainly don’t seem to be having any luck this season.

As for Mills being out ill, you’ve got to wonder. Maybe back luck and hugely frustrating for him, but it’s becoming a bit of a farce and he seems so fragile its a question how long he’ll last if he ever does get on the pitch.

SilverShire

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: January 23, 2022, 07:30:38 PM »
Whilst Atkinson didn't have a good day in the office, I do agree with the commentators thoughts; He will learn from this!
I hope faith is kept in him and he isn't dropped from the squad next week. That would do more harm than good IMO

hopwood

« Reply #130 on: January 23, 2022, 07:36:00 PM »
Nothing cost us ref wise. We looked lightweight and disjointed which is no surprise really. Hopefully Atkinson will take the experience on board. Plenty of negatives, not least more injuries. Positives - I thought we did ok in the scrum and Martinez looks a find and Scholtz looks able to compete again. Thought Odogwu made yards when we got it to him. We missed a load of ballast and made too many simple errors. Take the experience, patch a few more up, move on.

Yes.

hopwood

« Reply #131 on: January 23, 2022, 07:41:09 PM »
Hope TY is going to be ok. Hopefully we’ll see him in a Wasps shirt again but I think the incident needs checking by the citing officer just for consistency in protecting players. Given what Umaga was sent off for last week for head on head I’m not sure that challenge was any better.

I think we just got exposed today with our lightweight backs. Atkinson was woeful - his decision making was atrocious and caused all sorts of problems. Things like trying to run it out of your own 22 with three Munster players closing in was plain daft. When I saw the starting backs included MLB and Watson, with Atkinson playing so badly, we were always going to be in trouble, but I was surprised at just how poor we were.

I don’t know why Gaskell and Young stopped and let Murray score the try as you always play the whistle. Ultimately we were outplayed from start to finish. Not sure how good Munster really are, but they dominated us physically and found loads of space. It’s not the end of the world though and we just need to limp through this season and hope injury fortunes improve - we certainly don’t seem to be having any luck this season.

As for Mills being out ill, you’ve got to wonder. Maybe back luck and hugely frustrating for him, but it’s becoming a bit of a farce and he seems so fragile its a question how long he’ll last if he ever does get on the pitch.

Yes.
But disagree with the last bit.
When a player is returning from very long term injury, there’s all sorts of complications that can occur with our bodies, that we’re not all aware of.

Too early to judge a fellow human being. Let alone a fellow Wasp.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 23, 2022, 08:58:03 PM »
Whilst Atkinson didn't have a good day in the office, I do agree with the commentators thoughts; He will learn from this!
I hope faith is kept in him and he isn't dropped from the squad next week. That would do more harm than good IMO

There's always too much expectation put on young players.

Last week, Atkinson was meant to be the saviour of Wasps given that so many had lost faith in Umaga.

A few weeks out for Umaga and it could well be role reversal.

Personally, I see young players who aren't finished articles. Therefore they'll have good days and bad days.
If they can cut out some of the bad days then they'll move up a level in quality

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 23, 2022, 09:04:58 PM »
That’s correct - both Atkinson and Umaga are young. But they’ve both hot to improve quickly as we’ve nailed our colours to the mast with them. We don’t have other 10’s. One of the biggest things both have to work hard on is place kicking. Without Jimmy we risk leaving lots of points out there if they can’t.

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 23, 2022, 09:12:17 PM »

Yes.
But disagree with the last bit.
When a player is returning from very long term injury, there’s all sorts of complications that can occur with our bodies, that we’re not all aware of.

Too early to judge a fellow human being. Let alone a fellow Wasp.

It’s been 18 months if not longer of representing wasps only 7 times and I’m not sure playing a full 80 minutes. I would be surprised if he has much time left but I do hope he can step up and make it count, he does have the ability as long as he isn’t constantly missing games.

We have got to get a step up on MLB. No idea why spink was on the bench and MLB started