Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Munster v Wasps: Post Match Thoughts.  (Read 3690 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Munster v Wasps: Post Match Thoughts.
« Reply #30 on: January 24, 2022, 09:04:12 AM »
Initial tweet from Carl Fearns: "We don’t sit off and cherry pick our games until champions cup/ internationals come around."

Response from Bobby Bridge: "I heard this kind of talk in the press box at Thomond Park. Carl is right. Wasps play Saracens & Exeter in next 13 days.
Munster play Zebre & Edinburgh in the next 25 days. Prem has wars every week, no wonder there’s a knock on effect."

How very very true. I could add that our previous two games (in 6 days) were against unbeaten league leaders, Tigers, and European champs, Toulouse. No wonder we were worn out and in tatters yesterday.

Saw that and thread of responses earlier and muttered so true. The likes of Sexton etc will be "rested" until the 6N. Our guys have little chance of that. The fact that all Irish regions but no Scots or Welsh are in the Round of 16 just points to the unequal nature of it. It is what it is though and I can't see any changes being forced by the PRL clubs.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 24, 2022, 09:13:22 AM »
Good post westwales. You've cleared up Booj's unexpected start for me. I thought Paolo had a good game - always made some yards. Still waiting, with anticipation, to seeing him and Mills in tandem.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 24, 2022, 09:42:32 AM »
I don't think clubs treat any game like a training run to rest players, not least because not committing to tackles is the fastest way to get injured.

However, we should bear in mind that given close to a full squad there are some games when 2nd or 3rd or even 4th choice players get a start and the 1st choice gets a rest. There's even games where academy players are given a run off the bench to start "blooding" them.

We haven't had that opportunity this season and if players look like they aren't giving 100% its probably because they're shattered physically and mentally.

Sliminator

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 24, 2022, 09:47:28 AM »
Booj was a last minute change. Mills was originally at 12, I expect the plan was to have an experienced ball player/2nd receiver outside of Atkinson a-la Gopperth. Probably trained with that game plan all week, having to change to Booj, a different type of 12 probably wasn't helpful.

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 24, 2022, 10:59:12 AM »
My prediction for our backline vs Saracens:

9.Robson
10.Gopperth
11.Bassett
12.Mills
13.Fekitoa
14.Odogwu
15.Crossdale

Porter, Atkinson and Miller on the bench.

I think the importance of Gopperth and Mills on Jacob and Charlie shouldn't be under-estimated.  Donnacha O'Callaghan spoke very positively of the influence of Mills both on Warriors as a whole and their backs during his time there.  Just need to hope he stays fit for enough games to make that impact.
« Last Edit: January 24, 2022, 11:01:00 AM by InBetweenWasp »

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2022, 11:01:07 AM »

9.Robson
10.Gopperth
11.Bassett
12.Mills
13.Fekitoa
14.Odogwu
15.Crossdale

That would be nice.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2022, 11:17:23 AM »
Atkinson looked fit to me. But if you’d put any ten in there yesterday they’d have struggled. We were just outpowered in the pack and as a result had no front foot ball and no turnover possession. We hardly dented their line. It’s something I think Blackett has spoken of being extremely aware of and has taken steps to address. But he just didn’t have the personnel available yesterday. If we get Alo, Willis, Barbeary and Launchbury back for Sarries that adds some serious ballast. Looking at the injuries in the back row I wouldn’t be surprised to see either Fifita or Gaskell at 6 on Sunday with Shields at 7.

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2022, 12:25:00 PM »
I don't think clubs treat any game like a training run to rest players, not least because not committing to tackles is the fastest way to get injured.

However, we should bear in mind that given close to a full squad there are some games when 2nd or 3rd or even 4th choice players get a start and the 1st choice gets a rest. There's even games where academy players are given a run off the bench to start "blooding" them.

We haven't had that opportunity this season and if players look like they aren't giving 100% its probably because they're shattered physically and mentally.
+1. The number of minutes Brad and Stooke have played is way too many and they put in another shift - no surprise if players were knackered.

I didn't think we treated the game any different from others. This wasn't like when we put 60 points on a poor Sarries after they knew their fate (at Coventry) when they really did struggle to motivate themselves. We go outplayed by a strong team that was able to sub in Zebo.....

will311293

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2022, 01:57:45 PM »
On a slighlty more positive note.... I like the look of Martinez, feel like he's a good pick up for the season and has really added in the LHP department.

On a recruitment front, again it feels like we have done really well.

Frost, Stooke, Crossdale, Hislop, Fifita have all been excellent and even Hougaard, Millar-Mills, Carr and Scholtz are starting to put performances in. Martinez is starting to fall into the first grouping and i think gives us some added edge. I'd be keen to see if there are any argentian locks/centres that could be useful going forward.

Thoughts on Loans below too:

Good Short Term Loans - Sebastian De Chaves, Alex McHenry

"Meh" Short Term Loans - Patrick Harrison, Gordon Reid, Tommy Mathews

Poor Short Term Loans - Alex Gray

Mellie

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2022, 04:22:55 PM »
We were just outpowered in the pack and as a result had no front foot ball and no turnover possession. We hardly dented their line. It’s something I think Blackett has spoken of being extremely aware of and has taken steps to address.
The big issue against Munster was our lack of physicality and numbers at the breakdown both sides of the ball. We were easily turned over and did not have a hope of contesting ourselves.

When battering away at Munster's line we often had a single 1 out runner and no speed onto the ball. We had no variation or manipulation of space.

Slowness to react and lack of intensity was why we were never in the game and hardly fired a shot.

I think we panicked under pressure and tried too hard to make things happen.

I've noticed, for some posters here, Crossdale is great and Umaga is terrible. For me Crossdale is excellent going forward but a defensive liability. Poor positioning, weak or missed tackling and suspect under a high ball. Against Leicester Hougaard's superb performance got him out of a hole on several occasions.

Any of the above may be down to ability of personnel, tiredness, lack of game time or coaching inadequacies. Probably a combination. It can be fixed though and hopefully soon.

Chunky24

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2022, 04:37:20 PM »

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2022, 04:52:16 PM »
Thanks for that - well explained
Let me tell you something cucumber

Heathen

• View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2022, 05:44:20 PM »
Hot money seems to be on Wasps going to Sarries.

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2022, 11:38:16 AM »

9.Robson
10.Gopperth
11.Bassett
12.Mills
13.Fekitoa
14.Odogwu
15.Crossdale

I think the importance of Gopperth and Mills on Jacob and Charlie shouldn't be under-estimated.  Donnacha O'Callaghan spoke very positively of the influence of Mills both on Warriors as a whole and their backs during his time there.  Just need to hope he stays fit for enough games to make that impact.

Obviously depends on who is available, but I think Fekitoa will come off the bench. So Paolo to start at 13, Marcus and Josh on the wings I think. Mills at 12 if he hasn't spent the last 5 days isolating and just had DNV or something.