Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Where do we stand with our Centre options for next season?  (Read 7987 times)

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Where do we stand with our Centre options for next season?
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2022, 08:50:02 AM »
One guy who's contract is up and appears to be a free agent not linked with any clubs is Lukhanyo Am. That's a shock because he's arguably the best centre in the world. He'll probably stay in SA or got to Japan, but I'd definitely have him if we could afford him.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2022, 08:51:50 AM »
As a left field option and possibly a bit early if there are no 12’s how about recruiting a 10 and looking at Atkinson at 12.

I've been down this road before suggesting it, but I've been informed that Atkinson being an out and out 10 means he wouldn't be able to play 12. I mean he's still young enough to learn, but i think it's a bit of a stumbling block.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2022, 12:08:38 PM »
One guy who's contract is up and appears to be a free agent not linked with any clubs is Lukhanyo Am. That's a shock because he's arguably the best centre in the world. He'll probably stay in SA or got to Japan, but I'd definitely have him if we could afford him.

I didn't realise he was out of contract. Yes please. He is a fantastic player. I wouldn't imagine he would be cheap though.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2022, 12:17:21 PM »

I didn't realise he was out of contract. Yes please. He is a fantastic player. I wouldn't imagine he would be cheap though.

Could be wrong, but articles imply his current contract expires before 2022/23 season.

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2022, 01:00:34 PM »
Luke James isn't a 12 by any stretch. Sam James or Sam Hill would be worth looking at if their contracts are up, but I don't know if they are

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2022, 06:49:45 PM »
If Sam Hill is fit then he and we might find a match. I saw him a lot for the U-20's (Eng) and he looked the part. Seems to have lost his way rather. But if we ended up with a fit....and hard tackling 12, it would be worth it - so long as that fitted our preferred strategy. Such experience would be valuable next to Jacob and Charlie....but if fit....

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2022, 04:03:47 PM »
If Sam Hill is fit then he and we might find a match. I saw him a lot for the U-20's (Eng) and he looked the part. Seems to have lost his way rather. But if we ended up with a fit....and hard tackling 12, it would be worth it - so long as that fitted our preferred strategy. Such experience would be valuable next to Jacob and Charlie....but if fit....
This is craziness Mike..sorry

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2022, 04:28:40 PM »
This is craziness Mike..sorry
Well - even auditors get crazy once in a while....I always really liked him when I saw him live. My memory is most prob rather rose tinted....

NellyWellyWaspy

• View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2022, 10:27:43 AM »
One other requirement. A place kicker. If Jimmy goes (or is not on the pitch), our kicking stats and options dive from 80-90% to maybe 50% with Jacob. Miller is better than Jacob, but not by much, and he is rarely on the pitch. If you took out Jimmy from this year, and replaced with the next best (poorer) kicker, we would have lost yet more of our games, including yesterday. None of the names bandied about thus far are place kickers. In theory, it should be Jacob, but he just doesn't cut it. I wonder how much he practices kicking? He certainly has had quite a few weeks to get some work done on that, as well has bending to tackle.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 31, 2022, 10:41:05 AM »
One other requirement. A place kicker. If Jimmy goes (or is not on the pitch), our kicking stats and options dive from 80-90% to maybe 50% with Jacob. Miller is better than Jacob, but not by much, and he is rarely on the pitch. If you took out Jimmy from this year, and replaced with the next best (poorer) kicker, we would have lost yet more of our games, including yesterday. None of the names bandied about thus far are place kickers. In theory, it should be Jacob, but he just doesn't cut it. I wonder how much he practices kicking? He certainly has had quite a few weeks to get some work done on that, as well has bending to tackle.

FWIW: Ryan Mills is, I understand, quite a good kicker.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 31, 2022, 10:53:23 AM »

I agree. Jimmy has kept us in - and won - so many games for us with his goal kicking and we really need a like for like replacement.

NellyWellyWaspy

• View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 31, 2022, 12:12:37 PM »
I agree he (Mills) is a place kicker, but no better than Jacob. Plus, I still have doubts about his future with us. I do not see him as the 12 we need.

If you look at the URC and Championship, every good place kicker is a 10. With Jimmy in our squad, there has been no pressure on Jacob (or Charlie) to step up their kicking game.

Whatever happened to Ricky Ma'asi-White? He was promoted to the Senior Academy, but we saw him in the pre-season game against Coventry, but not since I think? At some point he was at Birmingham Moseley, but not reported as playing in any games that I can see?

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 31, 2022, 12:25:24 PM »
The stats may prove me wrong, but I always thought Mills was quite a high % kicker, whereas Jacob is more around 70% - which isn't high enough to be a first choice kicker.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 31, 2022, 12:37:29 PM »
The stats may prove me wrong, but I always thought Mills was quite a high % kicker, whereas Jacob is more around 70% - which isn't high enough to be a first choice kicker.

I thought so too.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 31, 2022, 12:38:52 PM »
Whatever happened to Ricky Ma'asi-White? He was promoted to the Senior Academy, but we saw him in the pre-season game against Coventry, but not since I think? At some point he was at Birmingham Moseley, but not reported as playing in any games that I can see?

He definitely was starting at 13 for Mosley for a while but has also turned out for Bournville since then where there are a few other young wasps lads, but that is another league below.
Think he has some way to go yet in his first season out of school but definitely has the raw talent. Just hope he doesn’t put on too much bulk and then struggle with injuries