Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Where do we stand with our Centre options for next season?  (Read 8922 times)

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
Re: Where do we stand with our Centre options for next season?
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2022, 01:27:11 PM »
The stats may prove me wrong, but I always thought Mills was quite a high % kicker, whereas Jacob is more around 70% - which isn't high enough to be a first choice kicker.

I thought so too.

I can't find any stats, sadly.

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2022, 01:37:02 PM »
The stats may prove me wrong, but I always thought Mills was quite a high % kicker, whereas Jacob is more around 70% - which isn't high enough to be a first choice kicker.

I thought so too.

https://twitter.com/Goalkickers/status/1301427448446410753/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1301427448446410753%7Ctwgr%5Ehb_0_8%7Ctwcon%5Es1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.rugbydump.com%2Fnews%2Ffords-goal-kicking-percentages-leaves-a-number-of-test-players-in-his-wake%2F

Can’t see that Ryan mills was ever first choice kicker at Worcester, in this chart 3 others took kicks for warriors in season before he came to us ( was he injured that season too ?)

In Five seasons at worcs he started 68 matches and came on as sub 3 times. He managed to get 5 tries and got 24 conversions and 29 penalty kicks . Now I know Worcester struggle, but Jimmy has managed to beat those kick figures ( and try numbers I think) in two separate seasons with us.

Don’t think he’s going to be answer.

Marlow Nick

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2022, 01:52:21 PM »
Always gave to be careful with kicking stats because some teams/players have different types if kicks. For example Daly's stats are almost exclusively long range kicks, exeter probably kicked penalties for corners more than posts etc.

Having said all that I agree we need to recruit a kicker AND send both our current 10s back to kicking school.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2022, 02:45:16 PM »
Managed to watch a few of the extended highlights, and I think a game with Maasi-White, and he didn't really look that special in all honesty. Not one that screams out to me (could easily be wrong of course). The bits we saw from Hartley in the cup games were more encouraging.

NellyWellyWaspy

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2022, 03:05:07 PM »
Managed to watch a few of the extended highlights, and I think a game with Maasi-White, and he didn't really look that special in all honesty. Not one that screams out to me (could easily be wrong of course). The bits we saw from Hartley in the cup games were more encouraging.

Agreed, he hasn't developed much since I saw him in junior play. He tended to run up too fast leaving a whole in the line, rarely passed it on (preferring to bash through, which works OK against younger/smaller kids, but not against bigger more mature players) and was poor in the tackle. But Hartley I had forgotten. Good shape and size and physique. Wonder if he can place kick? He has played well in the younger games I had seen him in.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: January 31, 2022, 06:11:47 PM »

I thought so too.

I can't find any stats, sadly.

The are stats on statbunker.

It appears to show that Jimmy's percentages are getting worse over the last few years
And Jacobs are getting better year on year and is at 80% for this season and from memory has a higher percentage than Jimmy

Jac A

« Reply #51 on: January 31, 2022, 07:42:21 PM »
The are stats on statbunker.

It appears to show that Jimmy's percentages are getting worse over the last few years
And Jacobs are getting better year on year and is at 80% for this season and from memory has a higher percentage than Jimmy

I do love a few stats and while they don't tell the full story they can be quite interesting and challenging to perceptions.

19/20
Jimmy - 54/61 - 88.25% (joint 2nd highest % from those who had taken 20+ kicks)
Jacob - 20/28 - 71.43% (16th)

20/21
Jimmy - 27/33 - 81.82% (5th)
Jacob - 39/49 - 79.59% (8th)
*Sopoaga actually 1st with 90% (18/20)

21/22
Jimmy - 25/33 - 75.76% (11th)
Jacob - 16/21 - 76.19% (joint 10th)

Only time Ryan Mills appears in the 2016/17 season when he was Worcester's primary kicker with 40/56 - 71.43%

Currently Jacob has better place kicking percentages for the season than Marcus Smith and Paddy Jackson and is only just below Ford and Joe Simmonds - in no way an outlier of poor kicking.

Charlie Atkinson isn't a poor kicker either - he hasn't had much of a chance at '1st class' level due to routinely playing with Gopperth and/or Umaga so maybe cannot be judged under pressure but I don't see a reason to prioritise signing a 12 or 15 just primarily because they are a good place kicker (esp as I can't think of many who would fit that criteria). 

NellyWellyWaspy

• View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 31, 2022, 08:00:19 PM »
Great research there. Good to know. What I will say is, Umaga does not attempt many out wide shots, or longer ones. Instead, he goes to the line. Jimmy does try more of those.

Jac A

« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2022, 08:37:13 PM »
Great research there. Good to know. What I will say is, Umaga does not attempt many out wide shots, or longer ones. Instead, he goes to the line. Jimmy does try more of those.

👍 Agreed.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2022, 09:16:44 PM »

👍 Agreed.

Chris Paterson also seemed to mostly take place kicks under 40 metres and I often saw him relinquish kicking duties if they were on the touchline or the wrong side

He's still classed as one of the great kickers

Sliminator

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 01, 2022, 08:06:08 AM »
If I remember right, in our game against Saints (when Jacob was kicking, Jimmy was on the bench) Jacob got the more difficult place kicks but missed 2 easier head on ones.

NellyWellyWaspy

• View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 01, 2022, 08:18:11 AM »
Yes. Jacob had a mare of a game that game I think.

So, we also have Hartley and Simmonds coming in to the centre, and I guess Curran can replace Young. Does anyone know if either Curran or Simmonds do kicking?

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 01, 2022, 09:46:42 AM »
Given it's relative importance in the game, i'm surprised that more squad members aren't seemingly encouraged to learn how to 'kick sticks'.

After Cruse's beautiful spiral kick from hands at the weekend, i'd have him in as a leftfield choice kicker. 

Seems like long gone are the days when you're 15, or Lock would kick - It's almost exclusively Fly-halfs these days other than a handful of Scrum-halfs (mainly in France)

BarossaD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 01, 2022, 10:12:32 AM »

After Cruse's beautiful spiral kick from hands at the weekend, i'd have him in as a leftfield choice kicker. 

Glad someone else called that one out - I thought my specs had failed me at first and I'd mixed up Cruse and Atkinson - was a great kick