Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Fifita Posted yesterday elsewhere but ..  (Read 1290 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Last Edit: January 27, 2022, 09:56:37 AM by Neils »
Let me tell you something cucumber

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Fifita Posted yesterday elsewhere but ..
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2022, 10:48:38 AM »
This is still so disappointing.

Part of me thinks I can support him in this decision as he is looking out for his family, probably an extended family back in Tonga as well as others in the village possible.
Another part of me thinks he’s gone mercenary and I’m extremely frustrated.

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2022, 11:02:47 AM »
very disappointed he is going as i see him as a top quality play and deserves the money as its a short career.

I would have gone big money for him, as he is right up there

hookender

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2022, 11:04:06 AM »
Unfortunately, with the cap how it is, tough decisions about what can be offered have to be made. We seem to have reasonable cover at the back of the pack , so it looks like direction is to beef up front ,as we have seen with recent signings.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2022, 11:23:55 AM »
I personally think this is another negative consequence of the Sopoaga signing.

We went all in on Lima on a three year deal and it didn’t pay off. We didn’t get value for money in return and lost a lot of money there. We possibly only then offered Fifita a 1+1 deal to avoid this poor return on investment happening again and we’ve been gazumped on his second year.

Massive shame and hopefully we can find a middle ground on contract lengths for any future SH recruits

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2022, 11:26:27 AM »
We offered Lima a 2+1, and mutually agreed the third.

Can't blame him for mercenary tendencies, it's a professional game. But I still think we've dropped a bollock on spending time, effort and considerable cash bringing a player from the other side of the world, integrating him into the team, and then being in a situation where they leave after just one season. 

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2022, 12:00:23 PM »
I personally think this is another negative consequence of the Sopoaga signing.

We went all in on Lima on a three year deal and it didn’t pay off. We didn’t get value for money in return and lost a lot of money there. We possibly only then offered Fifita a 1+1 deal to avoid this poor return on investment happening again and we’ve been gazumped on his second year.

Massive shame and hopefully we can find a middle ground on contract lengths for any future SH recruits

As many say here I can't disagree with his decision. And you might be right about SH signings. But I do believe we'll see less of these big money SH signings as a result of salary cap reduction.

Vespula Vulgaris

• Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2022, 12:09:50 PM »
We offered Lima a 2+1, and mutually agreed the third.

Can't blame him for mercenary tendencies, it's a professional game. But I still think we've dropped a bollock on spending time, effort and considerable cash bringing a player from the other side of the world, integrating him into the team, and then being in a situation where they leave after just one season.

Considering the gap he has filled, and how well he's played I think it was a great deal.  Shame we can't keep him, but that's the way it goes.
Please consider supporting the forum in 2022! Donate Here

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2022, 02:10:35 PM »
I'm now thinking of him just as injury cover for Launchbury.

And in that regard he's surpassed most injury replacements

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2022, 03:14:56 PM »
I liked the way he played  and I liked what I saw of him as a  person. I can understand his reasoning to want more money.  I realise a lot of his pay probably goes to his family back home. I cannot feel happy about him leaving Wasps after just one season. That doesn't hang right.

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2022, 03:46:45 PM »
I liked the way he played  and I liked what I saw of him as a  person. I can understand his reasoning to want more money.  I realise a lot of his pay probably goes to his family back home. I cannot feel happy about him leaving Wasps after just one season. That doesn't hang right.

I think ...

His form had declined where he was. He wasn't getting game time. So, he moved. We gave him the money he wanted. We got him back on track, and he fets back in to good form as a result. So, he ups and leaves. Doesn't sit well with me. He may find the grass is not greener, even though there is money on the table. Seems to me Beale and WLR did the same. Neither prospered that much. Moving for the money, the best money, is rarely the right decision.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2022, 05:48:17 PM »
He’s shown up well but I really don’t think is a move that will harm us in terms of winning games. It might deny us the odd spectacular bit of play now and then but I think that’s about it.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2022, 11:02:46 AM »
Update from Bobby Bridge, now added to his article:

Contrary to reports elsewhere, Fifita isn't leaving his Wasps deal early, but at the end of what was a short-term deal.

"He is leaving at the end of his contract," confirmed Blackett. "We spoke, we tried to [get Fifita to stay], honestly, you look at the difference, we had a good long conversation, we've got a really good relationship. I've got nothing but respect for Vaea. We fully understand as a club why he has made the decision. No-one has got an issue in this club whatsoever why he has made that decision."

I guess the offer from Scarlets was just too good to turn down.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!