Always a Wasp

Author Topic: TRP  (Read 1731 times)

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: TRP
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2022, 03:02:42 PM »
….although I do believe a rugby brain can be taught at any stage, as it’s a confidence thing too.
But you do need a very good teacher/coach.

Nick Evans at Quins is giving that education to Marcus Smith.

Tbf Smith was already the next big thing when he debut, but Evans gave him the icing on the cake to make him an all round top quality 10.

Hymenoptera

• Trevor Leotas Twin
    • View Profile
Re: TRP
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2022, 04:03:03 PM »
We simply don’t have that quality of insight and experience in the backs.

Our backs need some experienced glue to gel them together.

Been said by me many times over the last 5 years. But, experience isn't the factor. It is about having a rugby brain, being able to look up and react to what you see, and redirect your forces. It should be the 10 or 12 (usually), but none that we have in that position have that vision and leadership. It is generally there by 20/21 years old.

Marcus Smith has it. Fazzer and Ford have it. Cips had the vision, but I am far from convinced he had the leadership. It is something the SH clubs seems good at developing in youngsters. Something Sopoaga did not have. Beale also has that vision, but not the leadership.
Totally this, which is why it blows my mind that many people are talking about Sam Hill (or even a Sam Hill type player)..squad player at Ex, squad player at Sale yet he's somehow going to progress at Wasps. If we want a take it to contact, basic rugby type player, still with Booj ...I for one want some rugby IQ, creativity, a football player, a Curtis Rona player that makes the ball do all the work.
If Sam Hill is the answer, people are asking the wrong questions and we will remain a decent side on our day at best.
I'd welcome a line hitting FB, i'm happy with our 10 options.