Always a Wasp

Author Topic: TRP  (Read 1891 times)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
TRP
« on: January 30, 2022, 08:07:21 AM »
Apparently Lee is desperately looking for a full back and fly half!

Match look at majors on EAs.

Interview with Dan similar to the local versions.

Poppy Cleall features in Women in Focus.
Let me tell you something cucumber

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
Re: TRP
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2022, 08:53:07 AM »
A full back? To replace who? Watson? Miller?
A fly half? To replace Jimmy? But he rarely played 10.

Do they know something about leavers that we do not?

To be desperately looking for a half half or full back, is Crossdale off, or Atkinson, or Umaga?

I mean, desperately, what about the centres we need? Does that mean he has them sorted. I hope so. Maybe Jimmy leaving was a surprise, but surely him not signing a new contract was a bit of a clue? Maybe Miller and Watson are also off?

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2022, 08:53:57 AM »
I can see getting in a fly half, relying on Charlie at such a young age is not sensible. I’m pretty confident he will be top draw in 2/3 seasons, learning from someone will not be a bad thing. Im sorry but I’m not sure about Jacob, I see him as a decent 2nd choice for most of his career.

Not 100% sure we need a full back. I really like Ali at full back and think he will get a lot better. Maybe it’s cover, maybe the likes of Matteo and Watson are off

NellyWellyWaspy

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2022, 08:54:54 AM »
I can see getting in a fly half, relying on Charlie at such a young age is not sensible. I’m pretty confident he will be top draw in 2/3 seasons, learning from someone will not be a bad thing. Im sorry but I’m not sure about Jacob, I see him as a decent 2nd choice for most of his career.

Not 100% sure we need a full back. I really like Ali at full back and think he will get a lot better. Maybe it’s cover, maybe the likes of Matteo and Watson are off

I had seen so little of him I had totally forgotten him. Minozzi of course.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2022, 09:00:12 AM »

I was impressed with Jacob at FB before he was sent off. Looked relaxed and sharp. To tell you the truth, I was actually quite surprised.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2022, 09:21:08 AM »
Saw a pretty tenuous link with Cipriani in the week. I can’t see it. If we’re looking for a full back it must be that Watson and Minozzi (possibly Miller) are off. I’d like to see a bit of Mehson there. Really hope we’re retaining Crossdale.

andermt

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2022, 09:40:58 AM »
Fissler repeating the Jimmy rumours I guess so he can claim he broke it before it happened (phone autocorrected, Fissler to Fiddler, almost left it😂)

I see Nick Cain misses the point yet again with the change of logo at Exeter. At times I wonder if he does it deliberately to stir things up or if he genuinely is an idiot, like the whole poor Sarries position in his column which stopped me buying TRP, I now read for free on PressReader.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2022, 10:21:21 AM »
No idea who we'll get as Fly half and fullback cover. Especially since we're late to the party regarding signings such as McGuinty, Ford and Pollard. But we don't need anyone like that, more like experienced safe 10. Otere Black has been described as a fly half that reminds them of Jimmy Gopperth, if we want that then he's the kind of player we're looking for (not specifically him as I believe he's tied up in Japan). This is definitely where an experienced guy who also wants to compete in that position is key. Hougaard in my eye is too old and distracted by things outside of rugby to actively compete with youngsters for example, but someone like Aaron Smith might've been different.

And how are we using this fly half? As a second centre?

And as for fullback....? Absolutely no idea.

And within the salary cap? Jesus it's not going to be easy.

Steadywasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2022, 10:21:47 AM »
In his feature on Dan Robson on page three, Paul Rees states that “Wasps have no beaten Saracens at home for four years . . .” I seem to remember beating them by the odd fifty points on 21st February 2020.

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2022, 12:15:01 PM »
Sure we could just sign Tommy Matthews if we needed a third FH, then with any of the three FHs able to cover FB but we’re probably looking for someone a bit more experienced but someone still in a 2nd/3rd choice behind whichever of Jacob and Charlie is in form.
Might have been easier just to up our offer to Jimmy.

FB is interesting as Lee also said anyone leaving would be replaced. At present we have many FB options, I expect Minozzi to be off but Crossdale is first choice so depending on Miller, Watson, Jacob, Mehson, Cam Anderson coming though I’d probably just invest the money in centres instead.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2022, 12:19:10 PM »
Sure we could just sign Tommy Matthews if we needed a third FH, then with any of the three FHs able to cover FB but we’re probably looking for someone a bit more experienced but someone still in a 2nd/3rd choice behind whichever of Jacob and Charlie is in form.
Might have been easier just to up our offer to Jimmy.

FB is interesting as Lee also said anyone leaving would be replaced. At present we have many FB options, I expect Minozzi to be off but Crossdale is first choice so depending on Miller, Watson, Jacob, Mehson, Cam Anderson coming though I’d probably just invest the money in centres instead.

+1

hopwood

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2022, 02:27:25 PM »
We desperately need some experience in our back line.
Full stop.

Look what someone like Brad Shields offers up front. Incredible leadership, despite Joe being club captain.

We simply don’t have that quality of insight and experience in the backs.
Fekitoa led by example, but wasn’t necessarily a good communicator or indeed a true leader.

Our backs need some experienced glue to gel them together.
Especially as most of our coaching staff are also forwards.

NellyWellyWaspy

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2022, 02:33:19 PM »

Been said by me many times over the last 5 years. But, experience isn't the factor. It is about having a rugby brain, being able to look up and react to what you see, and redirect your forces. It should be the 10 or 12 (usually), but none that we have in that position have that vision and leadership. It is generally there by 20/21 years old.

Marcus Smith has it. Fazzer and Ford have it. Cips had the vision, but I am far from convinced he had the leadership. It is something the SH clubs seems good at developing in youngsters. Something Sopoaga did not have. Beale also has that vision, but not the leadership.

hopwood

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2022, 02:46:02 PM »

Been said by me many times over the last 5 years. But, experience isn't the factor. It is about having a rugby brain, being able to look up and react to what you see, and redirect your forces. It should be the 10 or 12 (usually), but none that we have in that position have that vision and leadership. It is generally there by 20/21 years old.

Marcus Smith has it. Fazzer and Ford have it. Cips had the vision, but I am far from convinced he had the leadership. It is something the SH clubs seems good at developing in youngsters. Something Sopoaga did not have. Beale also has that vision, but not the leadership.

You’ve articulated that better than I did, but that’s exactly what I meant.
Spot on.
We need a rugby brain or two.

hopwood

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2022, 02:49:08 PM »
….although I do believe a rugby brain can be taught at any stage, as it’s a confidence thing too.
But you do need a very good teacher/coach.

Nick Evans at Quins is giving that education to Marcus Smith.