Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Our Announcer  (Read 2225 times)

andermt

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Our Announcer
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2022, 12:57:49 PM »
He says people often get his surname wrong (same with me), so I will take a guess and say

Dalziel is pronounced 'dee - el'

Pretty much anybody in rugby should at least know that for Pacific Island names, an 'a' before a 'g' hides an 'n', which is more than half of the BT commentators seem to get right either.

Well, at least he has anglicised the spelling from the Gaelic -  Dail-gheal. Good guess, Nelly.

How would you pronounce the name of one of my relatives - Menzies?

Here's a wee limerick which may give you a clue.

There wis a young lassie named Menzies,
That askit her aunt whit this thenzies.
Said her aunt wi a gasp,
"Ma dear, it's a wasp,
An you're haudin the end whaur the stenzies!"

BTW: I think it's a disgrace that he can't do his job and is still in position.

Ah, now that one I know. Emperor Ming (Flash Gordon to the rescue). So it is Ming - iss. I used to teach a girl with the surname. God, I hope I am right, otherwise those four years of calling her that will have been a bit embarrassing.

But, that's the point, isn't it? Doesn't take much to find out, rather than reading from a bit of paper stuffed in your back pocket.

Where I grew up in Scotland our neighbours were Menzies, it was always pronounced as it was spelt (Men zees). The 1st time I heard the Ming-iss pronunciation was in recent years. I assume different people use different pronunciations for their own names from different areas.

Horusthewasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2022, 01:19:40 PM »
While I agree he should take the time to make sure he gets people's names right, I do think that the idea that he isn’t getting it right means it's OK to have a go at home through social media isn't on.

There's a very fine line between letting someone know they have messed up and could do better, and just being mean to them.

When people start ganging up in twitter threads that line has been crossed.

Couldn’t agree more VV.

Steve from Cov

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2022, 01:24:26 PM »
While I agree he should take the time to make sure he gets people's names right, I do think that the idea that he isn’t getting it right means it's OK to have a go at home through social media isn't on.

There's a very fine line between letting someone know they have messed up and could do better, and just being mean to them.

When people start ganging up in twitter threads that line has been crossed.

Couldn’t agree more VV.

+1. Give him time.

matelot22

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2022, 02:10:10 PM »
He could learn a lot from the great Bill McClaren, the best commentator our game has had IMO. I believe he used to visit the teams before the match to ensure he had the correct pronunciations of their names.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2022, 03:59:14 PM »
He could learn a lot from the great Bill McClaren, the best commentator our game has had IMO. I believe he used to visit the teams before the match to ensure he had the correct pronunciations of their names.

+1
Let me tell you something cucumber

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2022, 03:59:33 PM »
I think the public barracking of him is casting our club in a bad light, it just draws further attention to it. It's not a good look for anyone.

Marlow Nick

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2022, 04:11:10 PM »
I agree it's not good to abuse him via twitter however ihis performance so does feel very unprofessional and to be Frank he is getting paid so should put some effort into his performance

With my cynic's hat on I wonder if he has as much trouble with the football pronunciations or does he maybe put a bit more effort into that?

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2022, 04:34:29 PM »
Surely  he's had long enough time by now to find out how to pronounce Wasps' players correctly?  I'll let him off 'Biyi'.  But he should have learnt the other names before Day One.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2022, 04:51:34 PM »
Surely  he's had long enough time by now to find out how to pronounce Wasps' players correctly?  I'll let him off 'Biyi'.  But he should have learnt the other names before Day One.

+1

He has been doing Footy etc for some time so must have a regime for clearing names to be announced. If he was new to the job it would be understandable but some footy names are weird too.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2022, 09:53:33 PM by Neils »

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 01, 2022, 05:14:58 PM »
I wonder what he'd make of Marcus Smith ::) ::) ::)?
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 01, 2022, 05:32:09 PM »
I wonder what he'd make of Marcus Smith ::) ::) ::)?

Yes he is a strange chap from the Philippines.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2022, 09:53:00 PM by Neils »

Ipswichwasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 01, 2022, 08:29:06 PM »
I had the misfortune to listen to the Radio Coventry commentary which was so laboured , geriatric, lacking in continuity, complete gaps etc. Again very unprofessional. In the past I have switched to our opponents’ local commentary .