Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Other Games This Weekend - 'WARE SPOILERS  (Read 2108 times)

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Other Games This Weekend - 'WARE SPOILERS
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2022, 01:42:54 PM »
Yes, getting smashed. Is it me or are they on TV every week. They’re on again next week v Sarries.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2022, 01:51:58 PM »
HT 7-22. Quins get one back in the red at the end of the half. It was pretty much gifted to them by Sale who were in possession and, for some reason, tried to run it out of their 22 and they made a bollocks of it. All they had to do was kick it into touch and they would have gone in 0-22. They've got the whole 2nd half to get the bonus score. Poor game management.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2022, 02:13:43 PM »
Just heard a new call from the ref. Sale scrum, ball in front of No 8 and ref shouted "stationary".

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 06, 2022, 02:14:44 PM »
Sale now get the TBP 7-29. Quins are a mess. Their whole game is dependent on Smith and Dombrandt and it shows.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Horusthewasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 06, 2022, 02:24:44 PM »
Sale now get the TBP 7-29. Quins are a mess. Their whole game is dependent on Smith and Dombrandt and it shows.

Shame both will probably be back in time for our visit to The Stoop in a couple of weeks (rest week in 6Ns).

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 06, 2022, 02:50:13 PM »
Well, that was an emphatic win by Sharks.

Leaves Quins and Saints in our sights for that 4th place.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2022, 10:04:48 AM »
Just heard a new call from the ref. Sale scrum, ball in front of No 8 and ref shouted "stationary".

He realised he'd forgotten his notebook and pen?

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2022, 11:07:46 AM »
Barnes did the same a few times. Essentially, if the ball is at the #8 and the scrum isn't going anywhere (stationary), then if it collapses, the ref will call ball available and not penalise anyone for going down. Also, if the team with the put in wants to win a penalty going forwards, they will need to get both side going forwards, and not just wheel it. So, by shouting stationary, the ref was saying, you are not going to get a penalty, and if you don't use it ...

You will notice different refs also call use it in different ways, rather than being consistent with just those words, 'Use it.' I think I heard Barnes say, at one point (maybe to Dan), 'You have 5 seconds.'

Nigel Med

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2022, 11:38:27 AM »
Barnes did the same a few times. Essentially, if the ball is at the #8 and the scrum isn't going anywhere (stationary), then if it collapses, the ref will call ball available and not penalise anyone for going down. Also, if the team with the put in wants to win a penalty going forwards, they will need to get both side going forwards, and not just wheel it. So, by shouting stationary, the ref was saying, you are not going to get a penalty, and if you don't use it ...

You will notice different refs also call use it in different ways, rather than being consistent with just those words, 'Use it.' I think I heard Barnes say, at one point (maybe to Dan), 'You have 5 seconds.'
If this is a new directive to all referees I thoroughly approve. A scrum should be a contest for possession of the ball not a means to "win" a penalty. If you've got the ball to the No.8 it's a successful scrum so if it subsequently collapses it's irrelevant. That definitely seemed to be how the scrums in all 3 Six Nations matches were refereed.

Not sure there's any need to have a different call, "Use it" means just that, the referee has judged that the ball is available and the scrum isn't moving therefore get on with it or lose possession if you don't within 5 seconds, simple. 

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2022, 12:29:08 PM »

He realised he'd forgotten his notebook and pen?
Unusually for me I was very careful on that one and double checked the spelling :)