Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Exeter v Wasps: Post match thoughts.  (Read 7725 times)

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Exeter v Wasps: Post match thoughts.
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2022, 08:16:43 PM »
With a back row of Shields, Fifita and Barbeary we probably thought we wouldn’t make many.

hopwood

« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2022, 08:50:54 PM »
 Lots of people re-quoting what I said in the match thread.

And I agree with their sentiments.
A great win.

A really great win, especially considering quite a few Wasps fans on here, would have been happy moaning about why we lost, if we had actually lost.

You simply can’t please some people

Mellie

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2022, 09:10:48 PM »
Our breakdown work was terrible, our tackling weak, our restarts abysmal and our execution poor for nearly the whole game. However, our ability to keep going, our scrums and line outs (mostly) and our will to win and bench impetus kept us in it.

We finally found some composure in the last 5 minutes so that what had kept us in it ended up winning it. Well done Wasps.

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 05, 2022, 10:40:19 PM »
Well done for the lads to keep going to the very end and as lee said himself he would have had to answer some awkward questions if we lost.

We can’t play well every week and we managed to have good luck on our side for once, difficult to say it’s not deserved.

Nrgee

• Season ticket since 2016-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 05, 2022, 11:13:19 PM »
We go up, we go down. It was one of those down games. A few key players looked tired, not as sharp as you need to be. Defence had holes in it, especially around the scrum/breakdown.

It was as though the players had decided they weren't going to speak to each other, disjointed.

Chiefs were good, fr what was their 2nd/3rd team.

Agree we definitely were not there today. Was at the game still cannot believe we won that today. Exeter played really well.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2022, 11:18:54 PM by Nrgee »

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 05, 2022, 11:18:01 PM »
Don't get me wrong, winning that was nothing short of a miracle. Forgot to say that.

Yep
Let me tell you something cucumber

MarleyWasp

« Reply #21 on: February 06, 2022, 06:00:49 AM »
Tweet from Bobby Bridge:

I've just spoken to one of the Wasps analysts. He reckons there were at least 35 phases that built up to that final score.

Wasps were 11 points down with two minutes to go.

Yet they won.

Unbelievable. Unreal. Incredible.

Season defining.

I counted 42 in total. 30 before the penalty, 12 after.

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2022, 06:14:40 AM »
Just watched the game physically we were really poor especially in the first half.

A lot of players just having a bad day at the office. 2nd half was a little better but couldn’t get our driving maul going until the 78th minute.

We were lucky as Exeter butchered a try on the 70th minute. Exeter seem to want it more than use until the last few minutes. Surprised were not yellow carded for several penalties in the red zone by Exeter.

We went through the phases so well at the end and a great pick up from Paolo to get the winning try.

It definitely wasn’t pretty but we got away with a win and it’s about time we had some luck.

Move on from this and hope we learn from it. Next week Bath will throw everything at us and we need to be up for it.

Considering how our season has been with injuries, 6th place is pretty decent.

JF

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 06, 2022, 07:32:07 AM »
One thing that struck me was that the commentator seemed to think that we were in with a chance of winning after that try with a couple of minutes to go. Whether that was him just doing what commentators do or a genuine belief, he added to the sense of anticipation for me.

Wombles

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 06, 2022, 07:34:28 AM »
If you can pull a result out of the fire when you as a collective have an absolute mare of a game that says a lot about team spirit and belief.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 06, 2022, 08:37:29 AM »
If you can pull a result out of the fire when you as a collective have an absolute mare of a game that says a lot about team spirit and belief.

and fitness😀
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 06, 2022, 09:02:45 AM »

and fitness😀

Totally agree

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2022, 09:04:42 AM »

and fitness😀

At the end, I think that is what it came down to, fitness. 42 straight phases of tackling and the Chiefs lads as they hit the deck, stayed down, but our lads were bouncing back up, even Barbeary, who had a bruising game. 42 phases when tired is a feat the Wasps of a few seasons ago could not have managed.

I have just re-watched the game, and I tried to see what slowed Brad down, and it was a collision with Woodburn. So, not fatigued by this incredible string of games he has played in, but he may well have been injured.

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 06, 2022, 09:37:19 AM »

and fitness😀

At the end, I think that is what it came down to, fitness. 42 straight phases of tackling and the Chiefs lads as they hit the deck, stayed down, but our lads were bouncing back up, even Barbeary, who had a bruising game. 42 phases when tired is a feat the Wasps of a few seasons ago could not have managed.

I have just re-watched the game, and I tried to see what slowed Brad down, and it was a collision with Woodburn. So, not fatigued by this incredible string of games he has played in, but he may well have been injured.

Brad had a stinger according to Lee.

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 06, 2022, 09:53:37 AM »

and fitness😀

Brad had a stinger according to Lee.

To be fair he shouldn’t have been playing for us, he can play across the back row, perfect for England, which is what England needed yesterday.