Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Exeter v Wasps: Post match thoughts.  (Read 6904 times)

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Exeter v Wasps: Post match thoughts.
« Reply #60 on: February 07, 2022, 09:19:35 PM »
I'm really chuffed with that result. Having finally got round to watching the game I wondered if it was very difficult to factor in the effect of the
wind unless you were there. It looked like it was gusting hard and most of the tries came at the same end (wind behind the attacking team).

The most noticeable thing I thought was the way Gopperth and Atkinson interchanged as 10 and 12. I don't think I've seen that work so well since Cips left as it enabled Charlie to pop up in space and offload some cute passes, especially with the tries. I think it's a huge mistake letting Gopps go because another season of working together like this would really bring Atkinson through. I don't think he's a good enough 10 by himself yet. it also begs the question - has our excellent run coincided with not having Umaga at 10 for a reasons or is it a fluke?

Hats off to David Rose too. I've been a harsh critic of him since Pizzagate and he's the last TMO who I would have expected to save us by flagging the last Exeter try shouldn't be awarded.
On the Umaga point I think it’s less to do with him being out and more to do with Robson being in - he makes a huge difference. Throw in the odd Launchbury, Fekitoa, Odogwu, Barbeary, Gaskell and Spink and the results improve.

Raggs

• Global Moderator
  • Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 07, 2022, 10:00:25 PM »
I feel Umaga is still the better decision maker in terms of taking it to the line and giving the pass to the best option. However Atkinson feels that little more reliable, perhaps because he's not pushing it quite to the edge as much. If we can get both of them on the pitch, I'd be happy.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 07, 2022, 10:29:54 PM »
I see that Umaga could play 15 and Atkinson could play 12. But first and foremost I’d like to see us fully commit to developing them at 10. Not least because we haven’t got any others! But also we have good options at 15 already and I think it’s too soon for Atkinson at 12.

HDAWG

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 08, 2022, 08:03:11 AM »
I feel Umaga is still the better decision maker in terms of taking it to the line and giving the pass to the best option. However Atkinson feels that little more reliable, perhaps because he's not pushing it quite to the edge as much. If we can get both of them on the pitch, I'd be happy.

+1

Beasties

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 09, 2022, 07:44:48 AM »
I think I must be the only fan that wants both Atkinson and Umaga to solely concentrate on being the best 10 they can be.

MarleyWasp

« Reply #65 on: February 09, 2022, 02:27:38 PM »
Premiership Rugby have put the last 11-12 minutes up in full on YouTube as the play of the week: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bvcKT9S1zLo&t=156s

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 09, 2022, 02:43:12 PM »
Good for them. I was hoping someone would.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

mike909

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 09, 2022, 04:19:50 PM »
Just fantastic...Loved Stooke laying down the law pre the last lineout. I like players to show heart and commitment. Just great. Watched that twice already!

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 09, 2022, 05:26:32 PM »
That was very impressive, well done lads

WonkyWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 10, 2022, 07:24:21 AM »
Thanks for that Marley.