Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Where do we stand with our Centre options for next season?  (Read 7915 times)

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Where do we stand with our Centre options for next season?
« Reply #75 on: February 07, 2022, 10:11:59 AM »
Doesn't need to be a massive player to be a good 12. Giteau was one of the best 12s ever to play the game, and was tiny in comparison.

It depends how we want to play. I see value in having defensive solidity and direct running at 12 - but at the same time I can see the case for a second distributor at 12. It depends how we want to play - but this is one thing you can't mix and match in, or go horses for courses. You have to play the same way regardless of personnel - you just decide what that is and build the squad necessary to do it.

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 07, 2022, 10:17:48 AM »
Wouldn't Miller be able to fill the role of second distributor?

At 12? I like Crossdale at 15 as our first-choice.  I'm not sure we'll much more of Minozzi, unfortunately. 

With Jimmy off and Mills' long-term fitness uncertain.  Would it be a daft idea to see how we go with a Jacob/Charlie-Miller axis?

I think we play our best (attacking) rugby with Jacob at 10, but his consistency is an issue, although I think a lot of that is a mental thing.  Still think Charlie at 12 has legs longer-term and Miller has a reasonable amount of the attributes that Jimmy has; a decent rugby brain, can kick, doesn't shirk many tackles, picks good lines when at Full-Back and can pass.

Are we too guilty (as fans) of seeking answers outside of our Squad rather than looking inwards a bit more?

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 07, 2022, 10:22:16 AM »

Wasps reportedly in talks with Lions centre Burger Odendaal

Bobby Bridge reports.

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/rugby/wasps-reportedly-talks-lions-centre-23007562

SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: February 07, 2022, 10:24:57 AM »
I think Charlie at 12 is a pretty good shout, he doesn’t shy away from a tackle and is a clever player. Wouldn’t mind seeing that

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 07, 2022, 10:46:32 AM »
I think Charlie at 12 is a pretty good shout, he doesn’t shy away from a tackle and is a clever player. Wouldn’t mind seeing that

Surprisingly strong carrier as well given how slight he looks

InBetweenWasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 07, 2022, 10:52:01 AM »

Bobby Bridge reports.

https://www.coventrytelegraph.net/sport/rugby/wasps-reportedly-talks-lions-centre-23007562

Had a quick peak at one of his highlight reels on YouTube.  Been mentioned on here, looks similar physically to Estherheizen.  Has a decent looking step on him, not just a bosh-merchant.

RogerE

• Old Wasps Player (Not saying which team and when!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 07, 2022, 11:01:03 AM »

Bobby Bridge reports.

Had a quick peak at one of his highlight reels on YouTube.  Been mentioned on here, looks similar physically to Estherheizen.  Has a decent looking step on him, not just a bosh-merchant.

Reminded me more of Fraser Waters
« Last Edit: February 07, 2022, 11:04:53 AM by RogerE »

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: February 07, 2022, 11:01:12 AM »

I like this too. Spink outside him, then Josh and Odogwu on the wings. But, for me Ali at FB first choice.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 07, 2022, 11:09:50 AM »

I like this too. Spink outside him, then Josh and Odogwu on the wings. But, for me Ali at FB first choice.

Your final point - yes. I hope Ali can get a run injury free or else he will drop down the order.
Let me tell you something cucumber

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 07, 2022, 11:10:34 AM »
Given his age he’s likely to put a bit of bulk on over the next couple of years so could really dominate in that position. 

backdoc

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 07, 2022, 11:18:19 AM »
Added comment on Burger:

"YouTube channel TASanalytics, which has more than 10,000 subscribers, claimed Odendall to be 'the most underrated player in South Africa' in a caption for a video montage of his best moments in December 2020."

JonnyD

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: February 07, 2022, 11:28:52 AM »

Bobby Bridge reports.

Haven’t seen him play for a few years but would definitely be a step up on Booj.
Hard running, big guy with pretty good hands too. Not quite the offloading prowess and fear factor of Estherhuizen but will also come a lot cheaper I imagine.
Not sure about his injury record but with Mills, Spink, Simonds as the potential other options next year we need someone with a bit more durability too. (Another reason why Booj has actually played so much)

I too agree a hard running 12 plays more to our strengths than a second ball playing 12. Gets a young inexperienced 10 out of trouble if he needs someone and creates more space for Odogwu or Spink at 13, it could work.

wasps

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 07, 2022, 06:04:21 PM »

We're already a little dubious about Umaga's defence, as is pretty normal for fly halfs.

While Atkinson is certainly not scared of trying to tackle, he's not struck me as a defender that can cover the inside channel as well as his own against big strike runners.

If your 10 and 12 are seen as slightly weak defenders you'll have big runners coming at them all the time.
That'll be the making or breaking of some

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 07, 2022, 06:20:21 PM »

We're already a little dubious about Umaga's defence, as is pretty normal for fly halfs.

While Atkinson is certainly not scared of trying to tackle, he's not struck me as a defender that can cover the inside channel as well as his own against big strike runners.

If your 10 and 12 are seen as slightly weak defenders you'll have big runners coming at them all the time.
That'll be the making or breaking of some

Sorry apart from the red card tackles if you watch Jacob during a match he tackles quite ferociously. Unlike a former 10 of this parish who's tackles over his stay can be counted on one hand.
Let me tell you something cucumber