Always a Wasp

Author Topic: Selection for Bath Game  (Read 2082 times)

CV2

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Selection for Bath Game
« on: February 07, 2022, 12:42:34 PM »
Interested to know what everyone thinks the selection will be for Bath, would you pick your strongest possible side and keep the momentum going or would you look at this game as potentially where we could rotate a few tired bodies?

Shields, Launchpad and Fek were all substituted so will have to see how they get on this week. Shields wasn't up to his usual high standards yesterday, maybe all the game time catching up with him, he's been a monster for us so far this season.

Independent of league position Bath at home will still be a tough game but with it being our last home game for a while and with Quins and Bristol away on the horizon I think it could be an option to give players like Shields, Stooke, Gopps, Bass a week off.

There a few guys coming back from injury that really need some minutes in legs too, thinking Mills, Miller, Crossdale, Harris (JTA, Carr?)

Not a luxury we've had for a while but we seem to have some nice selection dilemmas (Long may it continue!)

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
Re: Selection for Bath Game
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2022, 12:58:47 PM »
Need to wait for the injury reports (tomorrow?).
Let me tell you something cucumber

NellyWellyWaspy

• Getting older a couple of minutes every day
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2022, 01:21:08 PM »
Interested to know what everyone thinks the selection will be for Bath, would you pick your strongest possible side and keep the momentum going or would you look at this game as potentially where we could rotate a few tired bodies?

Shields, Launchpad and Fek were all substituted so will have to see how they get on this week. Shields wasn't up to his usual high standards yesterday, maybe all the game time catching up with him, he's been a monster for us so far this season.

Independent of league position Bath at home will still be a tough game but with it being our last home game for a while and with Quins and Bristol away on the horizon I think it could be an option to give players like Shields, Stooke, Gopps, Bass a week off.

There a few guys coming back from injury that really need some minutes in legs too, thinking Mills, Miller, Crossdale, Harris (JTA, Carr?)

Not a luxury we've had for a while but we seem to have some nice selection dilemmas (Long may it continue!)

If we take our foot off the max throttle position, we will lose to Bath. They are by no means the pushover you imply. I think the rule must be, play the best fit team you have, always.

CV2

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2022, 01:33:52 PM »

If we take our foot off the max throttle position, we will lose to Bath. They are by no means the pushover you imply. I think the rule must be, play the best fit team you have, always.

Just so it’s clear by no means am I implying that Bath are a pushover. In the context of the next 3 games Bath (home), Quins (away) and Bristol (away) I am saying it could be best option out of the 3 with resting players that have pretty much played every game so far.

Either that or we go full throttle for the next 3 weeks and take stock in our bye week with what bodies we have available.

DGP Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2022, 02:19:23 PM »
Have to maintain the momentum.  Lee has got a few more fit bodies to select from now, so can be a bit more prudent if some are in need of a rest, but if (and I know it's a big if, but stick with me on this...) if we win these next 2 against Bath and Quins, then we might just find ourselves in the top 4!  That is very much worth throwing everything at.

MartinB - Radnage Wasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2022, 03:02:10 PM »
If Tom Willis is  back I think it would be a good idea to give Brad a week break as he looked to be "running on empty" vs Exeter compared to what we have come to expect from him. That said, I would also add that Launch would need to be playing to give us some leadership on the pitch as that has been a huge additional part of what Brad has brought to the team.
I am not sure about Miller as I have strong memories of him missing tackles he should have made in previous outings at full back last season. I would have Crossdale at FB as he does also give us a greater attacking threat.
What a great conversation to be having after all the injuries we have had to work around!

Peej

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2022, 03:24:32 PM »
I'd look to bring Mills and Crossdale in for sure. In the pack, Brad could probably do with a break before he gets broken, but that leaves an issue of who plays 7 as Fifita, Alfie (if he's not with England - I imagine he may even be a travelling reserve) and Tom if he's back is a bit unbalanced. Nemo could come in I suppose. Is Curran fit? I'd also maybe rotate Hislop and West.

Rossm

• Hey, Slow Down.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2022, 03:45:44 PM »
We have 3 games: 12/02/22 Bath (H), 19/02/22 Quins (A), 25/02/22 Bris (A) and then have a week off before going to Saints. I think we should maintain maximum momentum, rotating as little as possible, and see where we stand before the Saints game. If all goes well we could be in or around the top 4. I think we have at least one Prem cup game coming up in the future. Ignore that competition and give everyone who hasn't had much game time a spot in the cup squad. Wrap our top players in cotton wool when we can.
SLAVA UKRAINI!
HEROYAM SLAVA!

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2022, 03:57:04 PM »
We have two Prem  Cup Matches -
According to the Offy they are
Weekend of 18 March Away to Sharks &
29/03/22 (Tuesday Night!!) Home to the EAs.

Agree both should be "alternative" players.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2022, 04:08:01 PM »
I thought that was the point of the Prem Cup?

Horusthewasp

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2022, 04:10:43 PM »
Agree with others - I would not risk losing the momentum gained by fielding anything less than the best available 23 this week. Not only is maintaining that winning mentality (particularly against top clubs) a massive psychological edge we can’t afford to lose, but with recent (and expected) injury returns we have the ‘luxury’ to continue to select the best 23 while rotating in positions we have competitive depth.

It’s also worth bearing in mind that not only do we have a bye week on 5/6 March but the weekend after the Saints game (19/20 March) is a Prem Rugby Cup fixture where we can rest key players.

Lastly this is our last home game for 6 weeks, so we need to make this game count as we look to move up in the table and drive up attendance numbers at the CBS.

Shugs

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2022, 05:23:42 PM »
I’d be going full throttle at Bath, Bristol and Quins. Knocks here and there will inevitably mean some are unavailable anyway. We’re starting to see squads where players just aren’t selected which has taken some adjusting to. The indication from Saturday was that Shields had a stinger, Launchbury a chest/facial issue and Fekitoa a slight knock. I imagine all three will probably be fit enough but if not we have Carr, Spink and Gaskell in the wings. For me the simple strategy is carry on picking your strongest team.

Neils

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 07, 2022, 05:38:17 PM »
I’d be going full throttle at Bath, Bristol and Quins. Knocks here and there will inevitably mean some are unavailable anyway. We’re starting to see squads where players just aren’t selected which has taken some adjusting to. The indication from Saturday was that Shields had a stinger, Launchbury a chest/facial issue and Fekitoa a slight knock. I imagine all three will probably be fit enough but if not we have Carr, Spink and Gaskell in the wings. For me the simple strategy is carry on picking your strongest team.

Agree and I can't see Lee & Co doing anything else.

Bloke in North Dorset

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2022, 06:29:05 PM »
I can't see the players wanting to do anything else. Imagine being told be Lee you're going to be rested when their piling the wins on? Everybody wants to be part of a winning team and those niggles don't feel anywhere near as bad.

Westy68

• Wasps Rugby Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2022, 07:25:51 PM »
Have to agree, we must go full throttle against Bath. Especially the first half, Bath did well against quins and good for 30 minutes against Sarries.

If we give Bath any Encouragement we could find it difficult, similar to the Exeter game. Bath do seem to drop their heads if the opposition are putting points on the board.

I would only make two changes, Crossdale for Watson and Mills for Gopperth with Gopperth on the bench.

We can’t have the low intensity that we had against Exeter in the first half. Bath are not that bad.

I really do believe we can win our next 2 games and start pushing for top 4